2.35” vs 2.6”

Ron

Bike is a Pivot Trail 429

Presently has 2.35” front and back. Was thinking g about trying out some 29 x 2.6” Schwalbe Nobby Nick’s, the new compound.

What do you prefer and why?

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
What the cool people are doing is running bigger in front for traction and smaller in back for rolling resistance

Reactions: Ron

pygmypony

i have the same bike, generation 2 (not the new one just released) and have been riding with a 2.6 magic mary up front, and a 2.3 maxxis minion in the rear....i love this combo...the 2.6 up front gives me lots of confidence rolling through the chunk a chunk, while the 2.3 rear gives you minimal rolling resistance...

JonF

Do you have enough rim width to mount a 2.6? if not, it might end up very rounded and, compared to the 2.3 on the back, the side knobs may not engage at the same time when you lean the bike into the turn. Beyond that, does Shwalbe increase the knob heights like Maxxis does when you size up? I run a tire very similar to the NN called the Forekaster and they all grow in size from 2.2, 23 then to 2.6 (which i've used all of) and the bigger knobs of the 2.3 were a nice upgrade over the 2.2.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I run 2.6" NN f&r on my tallboy, love it. I ran a 2.6" NN front with 2.35 ralph in the rear on my last bike (scalpel), loved that too. I wouldn't go back to 2.35 rear now, nor would I go back to xc geo.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I love riding 2.6 tires. So much more confidence in tech and bad conditions. When I ride my sons 2.4s they feel tiny now. Spesh butcher/purgatory for me.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have a specilized eliminator 2.6 in front and 2.35 and rear and they measure the same size, 2.4. Arc MK3 in front, spank 350 rear. Only difference is front is taller by a touch.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

Presently has 2.35” front and back. Was thinking g about trying out some 29 x 2.6” Schwalbe Nobby Nick’s, the new compound.

I think 2.6 will only increase weight and rolling resistance, while delivering minimal traction benefits over a 2.35 or even a 2.5 tire.

Ron

I think 2.6 will only increase weight and rolling resistance, while delivering minimal traction benefits over a 2.35 or even a 2.5 tire.
The tires are just over 300 grams heavier per tire. So a total of 600 grams, roughly 20 oz, heavier.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
The tires are just over 300 grams heavier per tire. So a total of 600 grams, roughly 20 oz, heavier.
o_O Almost 1.5 lbs of rotational weight?!? That’s a lot. You’ll notice the difference on the trail for sure.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I have 29x2.5 DHF’s on my Trigger, and 29x2.6 Bontrager XR4’s on my Fuel EX. For rough trails I like the width of the 2.6 (noticeably wider, but partly because the rims are wider too) but prefer the profile of the DHF’s (a bit more square). I don’t notice any difference is rolling resistance or perceived weight (though I haven’t actually weighed them).
FWIW I have 2.35’s and 2.2’s on other (HT/SS) bikes and only ride these on non technical trails. These do fine, but I won’t go less than 2.5 now on FS/technical rides.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

The only reason I wouldn't run 2.6' tires would be if I were racing or riding with much faster people. The stability and confidence boost of 2.6' is noteworthy. Schwalbe 2.6" tires measure far less than 2.6' btw. Their new compounds are improved. If you ever slash a tire from them or any brand, ALWAYS submit a warranty claim.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
1614872693701.png

Ron

So I mounted the front Nobby Nic 29x2.6”. Highly unimpressed. At present I have a Hans Dampf 29”x2.35” mounted to a 30mm rim. I am a smidge under 2.5” actual width. I mounted the 2.6” tire and it was the same size. So the Nobby Nics will be going back. But I am open to trying a Hans Dampf 2.6” on the 30 mm rim to see if I get a better width.

serviceguy

My Rekon 29x2.6 should be here later today, we’ll see How they measure on a set of i35 rims and more importantly if they will fit my el mariachi, I don’t expect them to be much more than 2.5” if anything, that’s what my dhf 2.6” measure on a 30mm internal width rim.

Also, never had good experience with Schwalbe, I have a bunch of NN of various sizes that failed rather quickly, their sides split open. Full disclosure, they were all the old compound.

JonF

Did you check to see if there was an increase in knob size and height? With Maxxis tires, going up one tier in size is often a marginal width increase but a substantial knob size increase. Depends on the tire but it's a pretty common theme throughout the line up.

Top Bottom