2.35” vs 2.6”

JDurk

So I mounted the front Nobby Nic 29x2.6”. Highly unimpressed. At present I have a Hans Dampf 29”x2.35” mounted to a 30mm rim. I am a smidge under 2.5” actual width. I mounted the 2.6” tire and it was the same size. So the Nobby Nics will be going back. But I am open to trying a Hans Dampf 2.6” on the 30 mm rim to see if I get a better width.
Recently mounted Maxxis Rekon 2.6 WT front and 2.4 WT rear on Stan's Flow EXs, 25.5mm internal.
20201228_125957.jpg

20201228_131811.jpg

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Watch the tires grow! Usually, if you pump them up hard, they will grow a bit in a few days as the casing stretches

Reactions: Tim

Ron

Watch the tires grow! Usually, if you pump them up hard, they will grow a bit in a few days as the casing stretches
I think my new plan is visit that Halter Cycles place I hear people speak of to get a Hans Dampf 29” x 2.6”.

Ron

Did you check to see if there was an increase in knob size and height? With Maxxis tires, going up one tier in size is often a marginal width increase but a substantial knob size increase. Depends on the tire but it's a pretty common theme throughout the line up.
The lugs and height did seem bigger. But they are so heavy compared to say a Hans Dampf or a Rekon.

JonF

FYI, An i25 rim isn't really ideal for a 2.6" wide Maxxis. Tires with the Maxxis "WideTrail" designation (like your 2.4 but especially the 2.6) are ideally better utilized on a i30-i35 rim. You wont need to lean the bike so hard to engage those side knobs if you better match the tire to rim.

Ron

FYI, An i25 rim isn't really ideal for a 2.6" wide Maxxis. Tires with the Maxxis "WideTrail" designation (like your 2.4 but especially the 2.6) are ideally better utilized on a i30-i35 rim. You wont need to lean the bike so hard to engage those side knobs if you better match the tire to rim.
My rims are 30mm internal. To the best of my knowledge.

GreenMachine

I have 2.6 Front / 2.4 rear Teravail Kessels - on a Hightower- excellent.
Similar to Maxxis but seem a notch tougher tread.

Cole

Bumping this... thinking of pulling the trigger on a butcher/eliminator combo. It sounds like 2.6 front and 2.3 rear would be the best bet?

JDurk

Bumping this... thinking of pulling the trigger on a butcher/eliminator combo. It sounds like 2.6 front and 2.3 rear would be the best bet?
Currently running Maxxis Rekon 2.6/2.4 combo on my Pivot Trail 429 and Maxxis Forekaster 2.6/2.35 combo on my rigid SS.

Overkill on the Pivot and will be going back to Dissector 2.4/Rekon 2.4 combo or something similar.

On the SS, swap between Rekon or Forekaster or a combo of both.

Cole

Currently running Maxxis Rekon 2.6/2.4 combo on my Pivot Trail 429 and Maxxis Forekaster 2.6/2.35 combo on my rigid SS.

Overkill on the Pivot and will be going back to Dissector 2.4/Rekon 2.4 combo or something similar.

On the SS, swap between Rekon or Forekaster or a combo of both.
Forgive my ignorance ... What makes the current set up overkill on the pivot?

Bikeworks

Thinking of going Magic Mary 2.6 with the narrower Hans Dampf out back when I get the SJ Evo. Previously had a 2.4 up front on the Enduro, but that bike was very forgiving in the handling department, so I'm thinking bigger up front might be the way to go.

I have Nobby Nic 2.4s front and back on my Epic Evo, I feel they're the perfect setup for it.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
iv been running the magic mary front/ hans dampf rear for a couple years now on my trail bikes, damn good combo (2.4/2.35) and no problems. much better than the minions that so many on here like.

JDurk

So perhaps a 2.3 and 2.3 combo would be ok for our local trails?
Your results may vary. I'm in SJ near Philly. NJ side of the Delaware is primarily sandy, roots and flat. If I pay a bridge toll, it's rockier at Wiss, roots and logs in Belmont.

I'm fine with either 2.6 or 2.4 on the front.

Top Bottom