1x? time to purchase a drivetrain

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Needing some opinions.

Putting a drive train on the Anthem X1 frame purchased from 743. Want to go 1x

Do I go
1x10 with oneup & raceface & xt/xtr (or XX/XO)
or
1x11 with xx1 or xo1 (xo1 is a couple hundred cheaper)

opinions? ideas?

not working with any existing parts, so no constraints there.
:popcorn:

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
If you do 1x11 you'll need to swap the freehub body on your wheelset. As per whether 11 is better than 10 depends on your needs. You can get a 42T cog for a 10-speed cassette, and they make narrow-wide chainrings in either so it's almost like splitting hairs.

The only downside is that a 10-speed RD needs to be modified to clear the 42T whereas the 11 is designed for it.

If I were starting from scratch though, XO1 all day.

-Jim.

Patrick

Staff member
Frame is legendary. Don't mess this up.

Trying not to.
DG at HG assisted with the parts pick on the wheels, Pete built them.

If you do 1x11 you'll need to swap the freehub body on your wheelset. As per whether 11 is better than 10 depends on your needs. You can get a 42T cog for a 10-speed cassette, and they make narrow-wide chainrings in either so it's almost like splitting hairs.

The only downside is that a 10-speed RD needs to be modified to clear the 42T whereas the 11 is designed for it.

If I were starting from scratch though, XO1 all day.

-Jim.

ty Jim.

modified seems bad....just that probably tips it. Assuming i'd probably not notice the difference between XO1 & XX1 ?? My quick research says about $250 difference...probably go twist shift too.

Patrick

Staff member

6:30am at my house tomorrow (sunday) for 3 hours of road....

HG = high gear cyclery - sterling in this case.

DG is code for someone that works there, that all customers know.

Pete is pete - he prefers older colnagos and bianchi...although he was building an awesome recumbent last time i was upstairs in the shop.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go xo1. I have both (xx1 and xtr 1x10 with a 42t ). The SRAM gear range is more betterer.

Patrick

Staff member
OHNOES! Pearl, i f'd it up.

the X9 hubs do not have an XO1 driver body available. Damn sure i read it did. Shop was sure it did. put up the cash, and the SRAM dude shut us down.

doing XT brake/shifter combo pack with oneUp 42T+16T cluster mod, XT type 2 dur with oneUp radCage Raceface Cinch crank, 32T N-W chainring (in orange), black bashguard (was thinking white, then i rethunkd it)

i'm not worthy......

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
no no thats okay, as long as the final product is gorgeous, you are okay. i think colin would okay with this so far, maybe the whole sram/shimano mixture is weight, though

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
http://www.hopetech.com/products/drivetrain/40t-rex/

The hope is a 40t add a on. It actually shifts well.

I have been running this with a shimano drivetrain and 34t ring up front for a while.

Far the $ this is the way to go

I have already seen a few drivetrain disasters from running 42t on a ten speed setup. I would avoid it

Patrick

Staff member
Thanks J!

Didn't even know Hope was into that now -

Top Bottom