1Up Heavyduty Vs Superduty

serviceguy

Pretty simple question, what's the difference between the two version of the same rack? According to their website it's an addition support bar, which from the pictures seems just a simple aluminum bar you could make out of any piece of stock aluminum...is it worth the difference?

Considering to 'update' to one of these, my Yakima, while still fully functional, is no longer aesthetically pleasing due to some rust patches and most definitely too heavy. Not happy to spend that kind of money for 3 aluminum bars bolted together, but even less happy to remove the bike front wheel and pack the bike in the trunk.

I have a Heavy Duty double. It holds up to 50 pounds per tray. My understanding for the Super Duty is it holds up to 75 pounds per tray. Unless you're transporting something that heavy, you don't need the Super Duty.

I also went with Heavy Duty as it weighs slightly less and I ride bikes without heavy batteries. The bar is $18 if you decide to upgrade later after buying a heavy bike.

1687469625473.png

Is it possible they just updated their website? I were in their shopping page a couple of days ago and it was completely different. Also, I don't remember seeing the XD version and the HD single has disappeared. Yes, I wouldn't need the Superduty version, I guess a $6 loss (2 x $18 to upgrade a double Vs $30 fidderence between a HD and SD double) would be more than acceptable in case of a post purchase update.

Thanks all for the feedback, still too pricey for me at the moment...

I just bought the Super Duty since it wasn't much more. I figure if I ever sell the rack it'll be to someone with an e-bike anyway 🤷‍♂️

Pretty simple question, what's the difference between the two version of the same rack? According to their website it's an addition support bar, which from the pictures seems just a simple aluminum bar you could make out of any piece of stock aluminum...is it worth the difference?

Considering to 'update' to one of these, my Yakima, while still fully functional, is no longer aesthetically pleasing due to some rust patches and most definitely too heavy. Not happy to spend that kind of money for 3 aluminum bars bolted together, but even less happy to remove the bike front wheel and pack the bike in the trunk.
'Merica!

as a side note, i put an ebike on the std one and bent it at the ratchet bar (my name, but you can figure it out)

Last edited:
I just bought the Super Duty since it wasn't much more. I figure if I ever sell the rack it'll be to someone with an e-bike anyway 🤷‍♂️
Good point, made a mental note. The single version doesn’t appear to be available in HD version so that’s an easy decision.

Last edited:
Need to figure out if you really need SD. My "standard?" duty rack I've had for 10+ years with a 1-1/4" receiver has been carrying my e-bike for almost 2 years now without an issue. Granted, my e-bike is around 45 lbs. and the rack is rated for 50 lbs. so a full fat e-bike could do some damage since most of them are over 50 lbs.

My wife's ebike weighs about 55 pounds. I just take the battery out when I put it on the rack. Used many times with around 90 pounds total weight on the double rack with no problems.

$18 for a metal bar to cover additional weight is a no brainer in my opinion, especially on such expensive rack you want to prevent any possible issue with a warranty claim. Not going there just yet, so it's a problem for another day.

According to 1up, even a 1-1/4 receiver with the Quick rack can transport a 60lb bike on the lowest platform. But just normal road driving. Any bumpy roads can cause issues.

According to 1up, even a 1-1/4 receiver with the Quick rack can transport a 60lb bike on the lowest platform. But just normal road driving. Any bumpy roads can cause issues.
Yeah, I'm not off-roading with my Mazda 3. I reserve the off-roading part for my bike. I will say that when I drove to Bentonville with my SUV carrying my ebike and analog bike I didn't use the rack. I put the bikes inside the SUV not because I didn't think the rack could handle the trip with those 2 bikes on it but rather for security reasons. I stayed overnight on the way there and back and I didn't want to leave the bikes exposed overnight.

Attachments

• 315413072_10228620019982579_7885839016902815732_n.jpg
    315413072_10228620019982579_7885839016902815732_n.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom