1st time @ LM

T

tyng

MTB totally rocks!!! As I mentioned, I am a complete newbie and this was the first time I have been to LM. I got there late and only did the yellow trail, but it was a total adrenaline rush (probably cause i suck). Think I will become addicted. Couple of questions for you expert folks out there.

1. When going downhill, should you just gun it? or hit the break hard and slowly descend?

2. on the yellow trail, the last down hill has a ditch, should I ride in the ditch?

3. What maintenance is recommended after riding?

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
3. What maintenance is recommended after riding?[/QUOTE]

- Shower
- Relax
- Beer, combined with above.

dhsean

When in doubt go faster. Speed fixes everything. :rofl:

Hitting the brakes is the cause of most wrecks.

Better of Dead quote:
"Go that way really, really fast - if something gets in your turn."

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw

i usually give the bike a wipe down with dry rag to get dry dirt off...lube chain only if its making noise...hold front brakes and kinda lung forward wirth the bike to see if the neck is loose...spin the wheels to see if i F'ed them up...check the susp. front and rear...then shower...beers...then chick rubs down the legs thats the personal maintenace...hope other people can give you some more tips cause i can use some too...

argyle

MTB totally rocks!!! As I mentioned, I am a complete newbie and this was the first time I have been to LM. I got there late and only did the yellow trail, but it was a total adrenaline rush (probably cause i suck). Think I will become addicted. Couple of questions for you expert folks out there.

1. When going downhill, should you just gun it? or hit the break hard and slowly descend?

2. on the yellow trail, the last down hill has a ditch, should I ride in the ditch?

i only did the yellow trail as well. i'm actually not sure what other trails there are that are mtb friendly. anyone wanna answer this? anyway, i did it starting from the road in the north end of the park. (i can't remember the name.) and i went counterclockwise. i was told it's better to go clockwise.

what ditch do you speak of? i wouldn't ride into anything that's going to make me lose control of my bike...well, except rocks, but that's another story!

MST.ESQ

i only did the yellow trail as well. i'm actually not sure what other trails there are that are mtb friendly. anyone wanna answer this?

Everything - except the trails up by the ball fields and leading to the camp sites that are marked for hiking only. Take the turn-offs off the yellow as you go along. There is a fun red trail not far after you pass the gazebo (did I spell it correctly?) and a new trail a little farther up that has great flow to it. There is another section of red trails at the top of the hill. I try to avoid the exposed roots on the green trail. This is a (somewhat) busy hiking trail that has eroded so much that it actually hurts to ride on a hardtail... I don't imagine LM will close that one to regenerate.

For a good cardio warm-up - cross the street and head left for some flat "rail trail" type stuff on Patriot's Path (with a couple short climbs behind some homes). Turn right and there are a few up/down sections that make for a great warm-up.

Come to think of it, we should get a ride together before first snow...

argyle

LM was good yesterday. It was wise to wait a day for the water to drain. There were some mushy spots still. Oh and the leaves were really whippin' up, too. I hit so many rocks because I didn't see them...but it's all part of the fun!

There's a spot way back on the other side of the road (the north side) where there's all sorts of logs set up but it was completely flooded. I had the feeling that it wasn't really part of the park. Anyone know what I am talking about? back behind the houses.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions