Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Motobecane Fantom Trail

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • WooHOO

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
R

Remes

Im looking to purchase my 1st "real" bike. something around the 600 dollar range. Hardtail. What do you guys think:hmmm:

MST.ESQ

Before everyone chimes in.... there are a few other threads suggesting you should check out the Giant Yukon at Halters...

R

Remes

yeah i already looked into that, the general thought i have right now is towards a trek 4300 disc, just looking for some new thought that i havnt come across

MST.ESQ

yeah i already looked into that, the general thought i have right now is towards a trek 4300 disc, just looking for some new thought that i havnt come across

My brother-in-law rides a 4300. I have a 4500 and can tell the difference between the two. My 2 cents: buy a bike that can be upgraded to disc brakes (I don't think the wheels on the 4500 can be upgraded to disc anymore), then buy a set of Avid BB7s for $100 when you can afford it.

Edit: Holy cow! Just checked the Trek site. My $500 04' 4500 now retails for $670 and no longer has disc compatible hubs. For the money, I still think the Rock Shox Dart (I have a comparable Judy TT) is a worthy upgrade from the RST - same for the Bontrager v. Suntour cranks, etc.

Last edited:
R

Remes

Yeah disc breaks are a must, im looking for something with a minium of 100m travel on the front fork. preferably more if possible. I know its alot to look for in the price range. Hopeing if i do my research ill get lucky

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
my advice in this price range find a good shop ride as many as possible you will find most of the components will be in the same group.
I did this and decided on the cannondale f7 over the 4300 not for anything but it just felt better.
it looks like all of your choices are about the same qualitty someone else pointed to halters have not heard any thing bad about them, if you are further south there is brick bikes and a little further is beachwood bikes I think they are doing a sale this weekend.
of course my advice can be taken with a grain of salt I'm old.....

R

Remes

yeah that bike looks decent id like to have atleast deore derailleurs or an x 5. the x4 on that p1 might not be ok for the riding i want to do

Last edited by a moderator:

al415

Banned
yeah that bike looks decent id like to have atleast deore derailleurs or an x 5. the x4 on that p1 might not be ok for the riding i want to do

what riding is it you want to do that you don't think the P1 will be upto?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
giant or kona

one, giants rock and have a huge bang for the buck
kona, just thought I would pick two and I am not a fan of Treks

R

Remes

just from what I hear. riding through ring wood. yellow trail and such. and why no treks?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i would go trek, the frames are waranteed for life if you do manage to break them, and i have a friend w/ the 4300 disc and he has broken shit on it, but never the frame, and he rides it like a full suspension bike.

i ride a 3700 harder than anybody else i know would ride a hardtail w/o any problems, that said i would go the trek

R

Remes

came across this full suspension bike in my price range, what do you guys think of it http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/700ds.htmI know people who can assemble it properly so going to a lbs isnt i major issue in gettin sized properly just too keep in mind im open to an online purchase. THanks for all the advise so far guys , keep it comin

Last edited by a moderator:

al415

Banned
came across this full suspension bike in my price range, what do you guys think of it http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/700ds.htmI know people who can assemble it properly so going to a lbs isnt i major issue in gettin sized properly just too keep in mind im open to an online purchase. THanks for all the advise so far guys , keep it comin

I think you were on the right track looking at hard tails. In the $600 price range a FS bike will be too compromised to be any real fun...

R

Remes

yeah thats what i figured. the specs on that bike seem to be pretty decent from what i can tell. I dont know much about rear shocks but the derailluers and such seem to be up to par with the similarly priced ht's. Motobecane frames are guarenteed for life also incase anyone was wondering

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I think you were on the right track looking at hard tails. In the $600 price range a FS bike will be too compromised to be any real fun...

+1 - I'm not usually against the Bikesdirect stuff, but in this case I think going full sus would be counter-productive. I know from experience that pedaling a coil shock bike around is not fun, even with lockout. :cry:

Sorry to push the used stuff but how about this:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/bik/1018010980.html

Tim

Top Bottom