Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Wow, a poll.
I don't think I've seen a poll since...
well since...
nah, couldn't be.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
came across this full suspension bike in my price range, what do you guys think of it http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/700ds.htmI know people who can assemble it properly so going to a lbs isnt i major issue in gettin sized properly just too keep in mind im open to an online purchase. THanks for all the advise so far guys , keep it comin

+1 for what others said - I'd stick with a hardtail in this price range. If you're unhappy with the component groups available in your price range, I'd suggest putting off the purchase for as long as it takes to save for the next level in the bike you're interested in. Never a bad thing to buy a bit more bike than you need, and cheaper than a post-purchase upgrade.

That being said, LX is nothing to be ashamed of. Heavier than XT and XTR, but reliable and trail worthy.

While I've nothing against online shops per se, I prefer to make all large bicycle purchases locally, as it it better for buyer (support, advice, link to the sport), seller (small business needs our support - especially in this economy, lest our only choice be WallyWorld), community (does your town need more vacant retail space and the concomitant loss of jobs and tax base? - mine doesn't), and sport (local shops are among the most active in trail preservation and access activities).

A few notes about the Motebecane ad:

(1) I'd shy away from any listing/dealer that doesn't clearly state the travel of the shock and/or fork

(2) "...NOW with 27 speed Shimano Mega 9 technology" the fact that this is stated as if it is a cutting edge, state-of-the-art advancement in 2009 scares me. A lot.

(3) You were concerned about parts spec - personally, I'd be much more comfortable with an LX derailleur than a bunch of Skye components (especially hubs). I have no idea who Skye is, but I'm guessing the parts are bad.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
while I can't say the components on that model are bad the problem I have with buying a bike online as opposed to a LBS is if you have an issue with it.
I had a problem with my back wheel I took the bike back to the shop I got it from they contacted Cannondale and got me a new back wheel.I shudder to think how much pain that would have been trying to go back to an online shop....
just my 2 cents

lou_b_83

I know that Cycle Craft gives free tune up when you buy a bike there. I bet that a lot of shops do that. So I guess it depends on how good you are with fixing stuff and/or the ability to learn.

I do like that Motobecan though

Last edited:

al415

Banned
Another thing to consider is the old adage of buying the best FRAME you can afford. Using that criteria I'd go back to the Cannondale or Specialized. Either of those bikes, if you choose your shop carefully, will come with the built in benefit of a relationship with a bicycle shop. Putting all the (very valid) points about supporting local retailers to one side. There are many advantages to buying at a good bicycle shop. For one, you will have access to years of experience and knowledge, via employees and fellow customers. You'll meet people to ride with and learn of new places to ride.

Also, shop owners know that their customers have the option of shopping online. In this day and age any shop owner will appreciate that you have chosen their shop over the internet and this appreciation can take many forms. Sometimes you'll end up with a standard discount, sometimes you'll have access to demo' or loaner products. I'm basing all this on my own personal experiences with bicycle shops. Do you have a shop you like? If you are looking online I'd imagine you don't. How do you find a good shop staffed by sincere people? Well I'd start looking right here. There are several shops represented here on MTBNJ. Either way, it's an exciting purchase. I remember my first mountain bike, it was a 1988 Yokota Tolume. My father has it now... ah the memories.

The Kalmyk

I have a HeadShock for sale if you choose a Cannondale...Very tasteless post this is:eek:....Good liuck in your search

MST.ESQ

Go to a bike shop. I knew absolutely nothing about bikes when I went to Marty's. I spoke to an experienced person and was set up with the perfect bike for my budget. So much so that I have been happy with throwing some upgrades on it...

Sircrashalot

+1 for go to a bike shop. Aside from all the other reasons already mentioned, there is more to a bike than the component list. Different frames & builds have a different 'feel' to them. What you like it to feel like is personal preference. The only way to find out is to ride them- at least plink around in the parking lot of the LBS for a bit.
Recently I went lookin' for a 29er. I had a list of contenders based on internet research. When I rode them, none of them had the feel I was looking for. My LBS kept pulling different bikes off the rack and sending me outside until I found one that felt right, they then made sure it was sized right, swapped out the stem for me to get the fit perfect, etc. I LOVE IT. I had ruled it out after my internet research based on component list, etc. but in the end it was the right match. Components can be changed later if they break, but the feel of the frame can't. If not for the LBS I would have never known what I had missed out on, and wouldn't be nearly as happy with the purchase.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Yah i agree illl stay away from the full sus, This is the only other bike on bikesdirect that caught my attention the parts list looks pretty good for the buck... what do you guys think

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_trail08.htm
Although you'll probably get the most bang for the buck with bikesdirect but you really need to consider support that only a bike shop can offer. When you mountain bike things will break, bend, or get knocked out of place and you need the help of the experienced wrenches at the shops to diagnose and fix the problems. It is important to build a good relationship with your LBS for future service and advice. I think it is worth the little extra to buy from a LBS. Plus it keeps the small businesses in business.

R

Remes

Yeah well there is a good bike shop in my town , (Town Cycle) ive delt with them before and purchased equipment there/ had things fixed and tuned by them for years. Im not complete new to this. I rode a ridged framed bike for years and it just isnt giving me the preformance Im looking for. At this point im looking for the best components best frame for the best buck I can get. Have a friend whos a bike shop mechanic so im pretty set as far as all those things go. Its really all about the bike at this point less about the service

walter

Fourth Party
Yeah well there is a good bike shop in my town , (Town Cycle) ive delt with them before and purchased equipment there/ had things fixed and tuned by them for years. Im not complete new to this. I rode a ridged framed bike for years and it just isnt giving me the preformance Im looking for. At this point im looking for the best components best frame for the best buck I can get. Have a friend whos a bike shop mechanic so im pretty set as far as all those things go. Its really all about the bike at this point less about the service

Four pages of replies and the majority of people are suggesting a local bike shop over the mail order thing. Based on the last line above you have already made up your mind so bust out the cc and order the bike already. Just keep the box.

Good luck

xc62701

Yea go give Petey and Mike some love. I was just there doing the same today. I picked up my reincarnated road bike.

R

Remes

well its not so much a fact of looking for where to buy a bike. its whats the best bike

xc62701

well its not so much a fact of looking for where to buy a bike. its whats the best bike

You may not know what the best bike is until you ride it. TCycle should have both of those or comparable models to give you an idea as to how each will ride. That usually makes the decision for you.

Sircrashalot

Four pages of replies and the majority of people are suggesting a local bike shop over the mail order thing. Based on the last line above you have already made up your mind so bust out the cc and order the bike already. Just keep the box.

Good luck

Right on....if the point is getting the best bike, then you need to ride before you buy.

R

Remes

yeah i agree with you guys, the car comment made it click in my head. good call

Sircrashalot

yeah i agree with you guys, the car comment made it click in my head. good call

You wont regret it. If you ride everything at the closest shop and dont get the vibe you want, find another shop that deals in different brands & go do it again. The right bike will find you, son! :rolleyes:

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I dealt with the folks at Town Cycle before and they were able to help me with my wife's Rocky Mountain that nobody else could. The thing about the service is they can help you find the right bike for you at your price point.

Top Bottom