1985 Trek 670 - what to do?

one piece crank

I'm the original owner of a 1985 Trek 670. I did an employee purchase in march '86, then got 100% in to mountain bikes by August of that year. It's got about 500 miles on it - used for commuting in college (but never left/riden in poor weather!). Looks something like this:
P1010094.jpg

Except I have 80's-style colored hoods and tape(!). Other than that it's original - modolo speedy brakes, campy record drivetrain, even the stronglight headset...

So, in an effort to get in better shape for 2010, I've thought about a complete overhaul and new tires, but in the same breath, I think maybe a SS 29're would do me better.

What do you think is a better option for miles and miles of training?

Thanks,
Tom P.

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks,
Tom P.

miles and mile of training on anything you have is my input.
At the same time I would keep that trek as original as possible...that bike makes a statement.

I've thought about a complete overhaul and new tires, but in the same breath, I think maybe a SS 29're would do me better.

Thanks,
Tom P.

Tom:

That's a sweet frame... One option would be to convert it to a SS/fixie. I did the same to a really nice '86 Nishiki Prestige that was given to me... It's so awesome to ride... I can always go back to geared any time (although I can't imagine changing this)...

3036994896_32232ce9fd.jpg

That's a nice looking Nishiki BobbyB.

Just wondering what size the frame is, and are the wheels 700c?

Those rims are cool.....it looks as if you have whitewall tires on.

That's a nice looking Nishiki BobbyB.

Just wondering what size the frame is, and are the wheels 700c?

Those rims are cool.....it looks as if you have whitewall tires on.

It measures 62.5 from center of BB to center of TT... it's a big frame, which makes the wheels look small. The wheels are 700c Weinmann DP18 with flip-flop Formula hubs... cheapo knockoff of the Velocity Deep V, but surprisingly nice for about $125-$150... They come in assorted colors, too.

Good luck,
BB

Top Bottom