157 x 29 XD rear wheel suggestions

w_b

I never had any of that before now, and thinking new wheel cause upgrade and spare for bouncing around with the kids. I’m not light, smooth, or wealthy, do I just get another Sun Duroc 35? Want what erryone wants- a strong durable build without taking another loan. Anyone running stuff they like/ can’t break / recommend?

w_b

I know, notalotta options. I’ve had good luck with DT and Shimano hubs in my years, stuck with what (still) works. Nobody having good stuff on 157?

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Stan's Flow MK3 and EX3 are both available in 157 spacing with XD drivers. They're not in the "take a loan" price category.

Reactions: w_b

serviceguy

I'm heavy, not smooth nor skilled and definitely not wealthy (especially since I'm not good at spending my monies). I do build my own wheels though, is both therapeutic and frustrating at the same time.

I built all my 157x12 wheels (3 sets), my goto set being the DT Swiss 350 Straightpull + DT Swiss Competition double butted 2.0/1.8 spokes + DT Swiss E532 (i30) with 29"x2.6 tires. I think this can be had a combo as DT Swiss M1700 but not sure if avaible as a superboost wheelset. The DT350 hubs are durable and don't break the bank, a good base for any 'budget' wheelset.

I also have a set using the Hope Pro 4 157 hub, but can't really speak to its quality as I had to change the bearings after a bad confrontation with a tree at Allamuchy.

I don't ride that much but I mostly ride Ringwood which offers many chances for damage, so far so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: w_b

w_b

Peeps seem to love the Hadley from my readings but I think it is just a 150? running with spacers. I think to take full advantage of SB+ you want a purpose designed 157.

w_b

Went for the DT Swiss Tree Fiddy and XM481. And all the other things. Will shake it down in the AM. Much excite. Thanks to Mr. ITI for the hookup.

F740C910-2EBE-4974-B511-8B0654664FF3.jpeg

Ian F

I've good luck with Ringle Duroc SD37 wheels on my Megatower. That bike is used mainly for park riding and the wheels have been abused hard enough to pinch-flat Magic Mary tires without showing any rim dings. They seem reasonably priced as well. Not the lightest in the world, but the Rule of Bontrager applies: Light; Strong; Cheap - Pick Two.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
The Roval Traverse Fatty wheels are decently light (close to some carbons) and are super cheap if you can find people upgrading. I have a set of 29s and 27.5s for my Hightower that I bought for $150 and $200. Obviously if they can stand up to my weight they are pretty sturdy. :D

Top Bottom