12x157 Rear Hub Flanges Spacing

serviceguy

Building a wheel for the new build, the frame comes with a super boost 12x157 axle. I am having a little bit of a hard time (in 1st world terms that is) picking a suitable rear hub, it doesn't seem like the market is quite ripe for this specific size yet.

Most available options are quite expensive, with Hope Pro 4 being the most affordable. While I would expect Hope to sell a good and reliable product, I am a little concerned with the fact that the flange spacing on this particular hub is slightly narrower than their boost and just slightly wider than their non boost one. While this makes the lacing symmetric, other brands (Onyx, i9) kept the asymmetric design in favor of a wider flange spacing.

Any opinion on this subject would be greatly appreciated, I have 4 weeks before the frame gets here so plenty of time for debating !

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Building a wheel for the new build, the frame comes with a super boost 12x157 axle. I am having a little bit of a hard time (in 1st world terms that is) picking a suitable rear hub, it doesn't seem like the market is quite ripe for this specific size yet.

Most available options are quite expensive, with Hope Pro 4 being the most affordable. While I would expect Hope to sell a good and reliable product, I am a little concerned with the fact that the flange spacing on this particular hub is slightly narrower than their boost and just slightly wider than their non boost one. While this makes the lacing symmetric, other brands (Onyx, i9) kept the asymmetric design in favor of a wider flange spacing.

Any opinion on this subject would be greatly appreciated, I have 4 weeks before the frame gets here so plenty of time for debating !
Alot of hub makes too the easy route and barely or didnt adjust the flange at all and just make the disc mount and did wider axles. I think that defeats the purposes of the wider hub. Take a look at project 321, I have their boost hub and it is great. Not sure if they have super boost yet. However, this is in the price range of WI, King, etc...

Karate Monkey

Bracing angle is important, but which would you rather have in structure that is designed to take both radial and side-loads? A minor improvement in bracing, or symmetric tension?

(The answer is slightly less important than you might think, but I will say this: a symmetrically tensioned wheel can be built to a lower tension than one that isn't)

serviceguy

As long as it comes in Orange it will be good.
it will come in orange as it goes on this...
Knolly_Fugitive_frame_raw_black_orange_corrected_cfcf616e-a2dc-4625-a6ed-f86baf004155_1024x1024.jpg

serviceguy

Bracing angle is important, but which would you rather have in structure that is designed to take both radial and side-loads? A minor improvement in bracing, or symmetric tension?

(The answer is slightly less important than you might think, but I will say this: a symmetrically tensioned wheel can be built to a lower tension than one that isn't)
the more I think about it and the more I see your point as valid...not to mention it's 1/2 price of anything else with those specs!

one piece crank

I always go for widest possible flange spacing and hope it offers symmetry, but I’m a SS’er by nature.

When evaluating your hub choices, I’d suggest comparing the following (each of which you may not find to your liking in ONE specific hub):
  • Flange-to-flange Width
  • Flange Symmetry
  • Flange Diameter
  • Flange Angle
Individually, each of these variables make a relatively small difference in wheel stiffness. A difference that could likely be offset simply by using straight gauge vs. double-butted spokes.

Then when you pick your hubs, you can start comparing rim (depth, width, mat’l) and spoke (number, material, thickness, number) info...;)

serviceguy

I decided to go with the Hope combo in black, I suddenly remembered that I am not a flashy type of guy...saving on a bike bell as well due to the famously loudness of the rear hub!

BPaze

I decided to go with the Hope combo in black, I suddenly remembered that I am not a flashy type of guy...saving on a bike bell as well due to the famously loudness of the rear hub!
Orange isnt flashy its matchy!!! Gonna look great either way.

Top Bottom