12 speed mountain chain

w_b

I’m such a newb on this. Do I really need a tool for the quick link? So many firsts for me on the new bike.... Expect more Qs.

TIA.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Yes. Sometimes you can use really skinny needle nose pliers but it's so much better with the tool.

Also, eagle links are 1 time use. So you need a new one if you take the old one off.

Reactions: w_b

jackx

The Eagle 12 master look pretty burly so probably won’t be able to just squeeze in the middle and slide like KMC 10 links.

with no tools, I’d try using an old brake cable to pinch the 2 rollers joined by the master link.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Just get the tool. It will make your life better. My thoughts are if I'm going to be using a tool more than a few times, get a proper tool.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Wolftooth pliers are awesome for trailside. I don't use them at home though.

@jimvreeland Are they really one-time use? I have been told that with 11 speed too, and I re-use them constantly without issues. They definitely aren't as tight as when new.

There's a difference in OK reliability for a customer, and OK for myself...

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Wolftooth pliers are awesome for trailside. I don't use them at home though.

@jimvreeland Are they really one-time use? I have been told that with 11 speed too, and I re-use them constantly without issues. They definitely aren't as tight as when new.

i do the same thing (reuse anyway) but id never tell someone else to do it against mfg recommendations

w_b

Yes, mostly concerned with trailside repair. Trying in advance to avoid the walk of shame.Thanks all for the suggestions.

Here's what's new to me on the new whip. Incredible what a not-an-early-adopter I am.
>9spd.
Tapered Fork
Fox fork
PF BB- this was almost driving me to a Hightower or 5010, but with j's EOTW discount the 429 was basically price-comparable.
>26" wheels
Droppah
Boost (superboost?) altho my DH bike has 165mm wide rear (2004)
Carbon
Tubeless? (maybe) looks like it might be tubed still from 20,000ft perspective (@jdog you recall on this?)

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Also, eagle links are 1 time use. So you need a new one if you take the old one off.
Sram and shimano have said that for years, never had an issue reusing

Yes, mostly concerned with trailside repair. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Here's what's new to me on the new whip. Incredible what a not-an-early-adopter I am.
>9spd.
Tapered Fork
Fox fork
PF BB- this was almost driving me to a Hightower or 5010, but with j's EOTW discount the 429 was basically price-comparable.
>26" wheels
Droppah
Boost (superboost?) altho my DH bike has 165mm wide rear (2004)
Carbon
Tubeless? (maybe) looks like it might be tubed still from 20,000ft perspective (@jdog you recall on this?)

trying in advance to avoid the walk of shame.
Wait a second, tubeless is new to you? and greater than 9 speed?

w_b

yup. bought an FSR XC new in 1998, an SGS DH new in 2004, a 1997 FSR Max Backbone frame used in 2013-ish, and a 2004 Enduro frame used in 2017-ish.

like I said, not usually an early adopter. Rode the shorts off all of them except the DH bike.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

I'll do it twice on my own bike. After that, the chain will come apart, the tolerances on Eagle is nothing like the 11-speed stuff.

w_b

the shimano tools says 11 speed. are they the same?

here's what I'm looking at:
1584984337223.png
1584984400743.png

Karate Monkey

the shimano tools says 11 speed. are they the same?

here's what I'm looking at:
View attachment 122633 View attachment 122634

Absolutely works fine.

*edit*

Let me clarify: Shimano is not known for their restraint in redesigning tools that are 99.9% as functional as previous versions (ex, 9 speed chain tool to replace the 8 speed, 10 to replace 9, chain whips, etc). They did not see fit to redesign this tool.

Top Bottom