12/2 MD, early early early

Shaggz

A strong 7
trail after cascade?! do you mean the highland trail to the picnic area? that would be the teal diamond trail. nice parking job why was the lot closed?

Last edited by a moderator:

heythorp

yes the lot was closed.

ok you come to a 4 way crossing in the trail. left is down and over a stream.
right is up to the picnic area.

last week with alex we went down to the stream and then somehow also ended up on the picnic areay. I think that is what he was talking about.

So what did you do, just drive by to see if we were there? Now that you knew we weren't in the lot, all you have to do is make a commment about where we parked and YOU might think WE acutally believe you got on your bike?

NOT BLOODY LIKELY

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shaggz said:
trail after cascade?! do you mean the highland trail to the picnic area? that would be the teal diamond trail. nice parking job why was the lot closed?

You're at the 4 way at the top of cascade. You shoot straight in, then come to the overlook where you see that school - or whatever. You go down, then up along the stream. Then you come to an end. Last week we took a left and climbed back up to the start of cascade. I'm talking about taking a right there and crossing the stream.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i was following your tracks for a while, but knew there was NO way i was going to catch you. i cut it short because my toes were so damn cold. didn't put the cleats on the new shoes for the ride

i never went to the right i think if you go straight, that eventually brings you into a boulder field which i couldn't ride.

heythorp

Ok so let me get this straight. You have winter shoes. You called me to tell me about said shoes. You go riding when it was under 40 degrees without said shoes. Your feet were cold without said shoes.

So are you going to wear said shoes tomorrow?

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Is this heythrp guy ..

..dsylexic?? Cross stream,next left, down into gully mini singletrack bypass on rght,up to double trk left down road right mini bridge rock sect. left on double track stay basically straight till small gravel climb in hemlox then right and back to end of railbed. Don't ride w/o me and you'll have no probs.....If you close your eyes and listen to my voice i can take you on a virtual ride rock by rock by rock...................................

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hardtale70 said:
..dsylexic?? Cross stream,next left, down into gully mini singletrack bypass on rght,up to double trk left down road right mini bridge rock sect. left on double track stay basically straight till small gravel climb in hemlox then right and back to end of railbed. Don't ride w/o me and you'll have no probs.....If you close your eyes and listen to my voice i can take you on a virtual ride rock by rock by rock...................................

Yeah maybe I'll wait for you. I'll be there again next Saturday 7:00 am. Save the date!!!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So look at this map:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61&d=1116352996

At the bottom right of the map is a white (W) trail that goes into the Weldon Brook WMA then OFF the map. That's basically the direction we were going before we decided to turn around. The pond in between BROOK and WILDLIFE on the map is what we thought was Saffin Pond. Where the trail crosses the fire road (right after the TRAIL on the map) we took a right!!! That's when Heythorpe spoke up.

We turned around, crossed the white trail, stayed on the fire road, and crossed the white trail again. Stayed on the fire road and got us back to yellow, which is the top of that nice downhill we ended the ride with last week (and this week). Then basically fire road back to the cars.

Could have been a very long day.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
norm, you were on the 'white' trail? a singletrack with many unrideable sections? thats, the beaver brook trail, it takes you about 5 miles through the woods to the intersection of berkshire valley rd and taylor rd. if you were on the double track, that can take you all sorts of places. if you take it to where it 't's', you can go left, stay on the main trail, and end up at the top of snowbowl(part of mahlon, former ski resort) or the fire tower at the beginning of mahlon. if you take it right, you will pass the beaver brook trail almost immediately again. continue on and you will come to another 't'. go left and you ride basically to rt 15 right across from the bike shop. there are several trails to the left off of this that will take you down to taylor rd. go right and after a rideable water crossing, you come to a 5 way intersection. the two trails to the left take you into lake shawnee(off of weldon rd), the trail to the right dead ends after a quarter mile, go straight and it spits you out by the dam/fenced in building at saffins rock rill.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sean - yeah, the white trail with plenty of walking. It seems like it could be a great trail, but super technical. Could use a little help on some of those log crossings and super rocky sections. Went ass over elbows at one point. Fun! Seems like a ton of areas to explore. We did also hit the double track to head back. Basically when we were at the overlook of the pond, we took a left at the doubletrack and went back towards MD.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
good idea. it gets really unrideable after that. a bunch of absurd angled logs and rock sections that wouldn't even be fun to trials through. it's a little bit easier from the end of that double track though. it was built by and for hikers, so no consideration was taken to the ability of a wheel to roll through any given section.

Top Bottom