11 sp chain outer width

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
measuring the pin width of my 11 sp chain, i get 5.62 to 5.72 mm. with most around 5.65

KMC chain, with sram gx der, XO cassette.
Cassette has 1,000 miles on it, doesn't look "bad" - chain is in spec for stretch (park go/no-go tool .75)

in the middle of the range, the chain seems to want to climb the next larger cog, then falls off.
doesn't happen on the same tooth, nor the same link all the time. everything is lubed.

this doesn't happen in the higher or lower gears.

quick google search says the external chain width of 11sp is 5.62.

i'm doubtful that the monstrous .1 mm is the culprit here -

Ideas? Recommendations?

and Please let me know which new bike i should buy ;)

New road bike

Not sure on 11spd... But on my SRAM 12spd, if the b screw is off a bit... It causes all sorts of issues.

New road bike

Not sure on 11spd... But on my SRAM 12spd, if the b screw is off a bit... It causes all sorts of issues.

This is not on my road bike.....:mad:

funny thing, we put a dart in the drive-side sidewall - and the sticky-outy part hits the chain in the granny gear.......

Sounds like this is the infamous b tension adjustment that haunts sram mtb drivetrains. My experience is that you need to change the first chain on sram cassettes around 1000 miles and then around ever 750 after that. The issue with constant b tension adjustments seems to get worse as the cassette ages. It isn't the width of the plate that is the issue...

My brand new XTR 11-spd chain is 5.62 and consistent width. Any slightly bent teeth on the cogs?

My brand new XTR 11-spd chain is 5.62 and consistent width. Any slightly bent teeth on the cogs?

i took my time looking - didn't see any - going for closer inspection, and i think i have another cassette around.
might try swapping.

Do you guys measure each and every link on the chain routinely ? Is that a thing and what is it called ? Should I do it ?

Last edited:
keep in mine 11 and 12 speed chains are considered worn out at .5, not .75,

i had a similar issue with my eagle last weekend, just needed a tension adjustment, b screw was fine.

also of note, i have like 1100 miles on my x01 12 speed chain and it still measures in spec (<.5 elongation)

Do you guys measure each and every link on the chain routinely ? Is that a thing and what is it called ? Should I do it ?

@graveyardman67 has some high speed cameras and lasers at his shop that do it to 5 decimals of precision.
That seemed excessive. We all get together a couple times a week to check. Surprised I haven't seen you there.

We tried filling tires with helium, but they wouldn't hold, too small a molecule.

Thanks! I checked both, and brain farted - it is still w/i .5 but just barely. 350ish miles, but i'm probably in the jimn category of chain maintenance.
B-screw at 5mm

---------------------

OK - this is happening on the 4th lowest (largest) cog. The chain is trying to climb the ramps, and quickly drops back in.
it happens more when shifting in from 5th, than down from 3rd. still happens tho.
Maybe replace the cable, and lube the jackets?

i had a similar issue with my eagle last weekend, just needed a tension adjustment, b screw was fine.

also of note, i have like 1100 miles on my x01 12 speed chain and it still measures in spec (<.5 elongation)
Which chain measuring tool do you have?

I checked two brand new out of the box XTR 11-spd chains and they measured .5 :rolleyes:
I'm just gonna run them until .75

interesting, your chains last a lot longer than what mine are

do you subscribe to the @JimN and @Patrick theory of chain lube?

i had one last as little as 400 miles, but that was nx chain that came on the bike, and the majority of that milage was in sandy SJ. Most have been in the ~1000 mile ballpark. maybe this chain lube is better? maybe im just lucky this time around? i really have no clue.

What's my theory of chain lube? Also, anyone that listens to me when it comes to bicycle maintenance advice gets what they deserve.

i mean im assuming its the same as your theory of bike washing and other general bike maintenance, is it not?

What's chain lube?

fixed.

No, I actually lube my chain pretty regularly. I can only imagine the shocked expression you have on your face right now.

where is that jack nicholson meme

tenor (13).gif

Back
Top Bottom