1 x 9 conversion

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
with my SS down and out, i need to figure out a way to, well, still have fun on my fuel. i was thinking about doing a 1 x 9 conversion. from what i can tell, all i would have to do is strip off the front derailer (yeah, i know it's spelled wrong) along with the big gear and granny gear. am i missing anything?

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I have an MRP kit if you're interested. Not needed but works well with a 1x9.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm probably not going to do it. i'm just really, really pist that my SS crapped out on me b/c i've been having so much fun on it. i may pick up one of those zion frames (what color did you get?) and swap parts from the fuel and the specialized to it...or just build it up from the ground. i don't know.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
it's been a saga with this thing, which, i shouldn't bee too surprised about since i got the entire bike REALLY cheap. but, the main issue has been the tensioner...or lack of tension. i think.

first it was the specialized tensioner which was terrible. switched that to a surley singleator which sort of fixed the problem. i may have had one decent ride on it. now whenever i put any kind of pressure on it, in or out of the saddle, it pops and skips and on occasion, when i'm really digging in, it just flat out explodes off the ring. i also crushed the saddle yesterday. it's at the bike shop (again) and TC is going to work it over and try to figure it out. he seems to think the real culprit is that i'm putting so much torque and force on the bike that i'm actually flexing the frame.

it seemed to be a good investment since i wasn't willing to commit that much money into an SS on the front end since prior to buying the hardrock i'd only ridden cem's SS a couple of miles at deer park. i'm more upset that i love the SS and now have to figure out a bulletproof configuration...which means more cash that was supposed to go into my scrambler.

Top Bottom