#1 reason to ride a road bike...

BiknBen

Speed!!!

I know that road riding looks boring when compared to MTBing. Believe me, the speed and responsiveness of a road bike is extremely addictive. Mixing it up with traffic and being able to maintain a high speed with relative ease is sweet.

I had the pleasure of riding some of my favorite climbs and descents last weekend. I saved Skyline Drive for last. Click the link to watch the video!

http://blip.tv/file/1233484/

RNG1

Pretty cool, I have to say you find some funky places to mount that camera! I do have to agree though, at the risk of sounding like a real roadie, the past 2 months I have been primarily on my road bike due to the hand injury and I have really taken it to another level of appreciation. Last weekend I did a 60 mile ride with a bunch of guys that would jump and attack the hills and I had a real blast making believe I was in the TDF and cranking it out. I have to say that I am not that comfortable going too fast on the descents though. I can't get past thinking once I am up around 35 to 40mph that my life is on a piece of rubber 1/4" wide.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
51.9!!! NUTS!! :getsome:

Was that car pulling out of the lower lot...? Prolly an angry mtb-er wanted to hit you ;)

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Skyline Drive Rocks!!! Who were you riding with?

I took that on my rigid w/knobbys at 46mph. NUTS!!!
I haven't ridden that road for over a year... now you've got me wanting.

Race ya down Ben!!!

BiknBen

I was by myself. The car pulling out of the lower lot was in that position when I first saw it and it didn't move.

I do recall a strange dip in that entrance/exit He may have just been trying to get beyond that slowly and then waiting to pull the rest of the way out. Spooked me a little when I saw it but he didn't move so it all worked out fine.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
i really do hope you scream the whole way down. i would. not in a scared way, but in a "this rules" kinda way.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
i really do hope you scream the whole way down. i would. not in a scared way, but in a "this rules" kinda way.
This pretty much captures the vibe. High speed and/or twisty descending on the road bike is tough to beat.

ArmyOfNone

You certainly have a nack for choosing music which to accompany your vids. I sure am sorry I couldnt get out there w/ ya.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
This pretty much captures the vibe. High speed and/or twisty descending on the road bike is tough to beat.

just dont crash....:(

I come back from vacation to find my boss (who is a roadie and has been asking me to ride with him but we haven't find the time that works for both of us) with a massive scratch in his forehead + 7 stitches, a black and blue eye, hands, arms scratched as well.

He was riding around Harriman this weekend and took a nasty spill on a curve, he believes he was going >30mph

So if anyone saw a tall dude splattered all over the highway around Harriman this past weekend, it was my boss.

yikes!

BiknBen

elzoller said:
He was riding around Harriman this weekend and took a nasty spill on a curve, he believes he was going >30mph

So if anyone saw a tall dude splattered all over the highway around Harriman this past weekend, it was my boss.

yikes!

This descent was just part of a much bigger ride. I was in Harriman earlier in the ride. I have video going down Bear Mtn as well. :D I hope your boss wasn't from Paramus and rode in sneakers. I was chatting with a guy on top of Bear Mtn. I would hate to hear that he had an incident later in the ride.

Last edited:

kimrey

Love the road bike as well

Spending more time on the road bike due to the recent crackdown on illegal MTB here in Essucks County. Have to say 51.9 would have me freaking out, I still see Beloki slamming into the asphalt in front of Lance in the TDF.

Shaggz

A strong 7
The camera angle it awesome. It looks like the spokes are curved. Thanks for posting that, Ben.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
50+ all I can say is DUDE that rocks I have hit 40 going down hospital road and it was just a total rush I can just imagine how the extra 10ph would give you the shivers....

MTB Aussie

"that was totally wicked!"

Last weekend I blasted down Chimney Rock Rd on my roadie, I didn't get above 35 but still dropped the cars that were on my ass when I started at the top. The twisties down there are great and the road surface is smooth with no parking lots or pull outs. Try it some time.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
In your honor, Ben, I did a half-century yesterday (longest ride in 14 years) and bombed down Warwick Turnpike to 94, clipping only 49 mph though.

I had forgotten how razor edge/sketchy those skinny tires feel at speed. I swear, just moving my thumb caused the bike to move off line :scared:

I was fun; way more fun than the climb out up Barrett Road. Speed always comes with a price.:drooling:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i downloaded the film mash sf two days ago, and i've watched it twice since then. it's 50 min of a bunch of guys bombing down hills in San Fransisco on fixies dodging cars and breaking traffic laws. awesome.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UR1OS6KA

^safe download if you're interested, took about 40 min. took me a little to figure out how to download it, you just type in the three letters at the top of the page in to the download bar.

xc62701

In your honor, Ben, I did a half-century yesterday (longest ride in 14 years) and bombed down Warwick Turnpike to 94, clipping only 49 mph though.

I had forgotten how razor edge/sketchy those skinny tires feel at speed. I swear, just moving my thumb caused the bike to move off line :scared:

I was fun; way more fun than the climb out up Barrett Road. Speed always comes with a price.:drooling:

Best I've ever done on that one is 54 mph on my old Lemond :D I was just there yesterday but I have no computer on my new Lemond.

Top Bottom