Considering moving

serviceguy

I was hoping you would answer do you mind if I pm you I know your wife was a nurse over there and my wife has Qs
I can tell you right now that working for the NHS is horrible, nurses are overworked and asked to do doctor’s jobs without being qualified, and they’re taking pay cuts to keep their job. There’s no money left in the system after they pay doctors that don’t show up at the ward and management.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
You've probably already considered this, but definitely have all the details concerning work visas and licensing and every other conceivable kind of paperwork taken care of before you go, and if possible have jobs lined up already. In my family, we all went through the process to gain citizenship in Ireland (there's a legacy law there that offers citizenship to anyone who's grandparents were born there if they meet certain legal criteria.) One of my sisters moved to Ireland a few years ago and despite having citizenship, it was a nightmare for her. She's a social worker here and figured if she had citizenship and working papers, she'd have no trouble finding work. Not true. Even if you can establish yourself over there, without a guaranteed employment, it can be very difficult to get work. Priority is given to naturally born citizens every time. I'm not sure if it's the same in England, but find out and do whatever you can to make it a smooth transition before you go. In the end, my sister had to bail and come back here because her long term prospects involved living off her savings for quite a long time before she'd likely find a job. I'd imagine the job market is softer now given the pandemic, so while your wife might be able to find work in healthcare, you might face limited prospects.

serviceguy

I plan on it, what was your process for moving here?
About two work gigs in the US for a total of almost 6 years, Florida and briefly Ohio. When I moved to NJ I wasn’t married and had a 3 years Visa, the possibility that I would go back was very likely, especially after accidentally ‘trespassing’ in some not so nice area the same night I arrived...I always thought I would end up in England, Nederland, New Zealand or Australia for some reason, but Northern Europe is quickly going downhill (still slower than Southern Europe) and immigration to the Pacific Islands is getting near impossible. I’m anxiously waiting for Mars colonization...

THATmanMANNY

Have no reason to stay
We find this insulting. Just go already! And UK food is terrible except for that British Indian cuisine.
giphy.gif

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
You've probably already considered this, but definitely have all the details concerning work visas and licensing and every other conceivable kind of paperwork taken care of before you go, and if possible have jobs lined up already. In my family, we all went through the process to gain citizenship in Ireland (there's a legacy law there that offers citizenship to anyone who's grandparents were born there if they meet certain legal criteria.) One of my sisters moved to Ireland a few years ago and despite having citizenship, it was a nightmare for her. She's a social worker here and figured if she had citizenship and working papers, she'd have no trouble finding work. Not true. Even if you can establish yourself over there, without a guaranteed employment, it can be very difficult to get work. Priority is given to naturally born citizens every time. I'm not sure if it's the same in England, but find out and do whatever you can to make it a smooth transition before you go. In the end, my sister had to bail and come back here because her long term prospects involved living off her savings for quite a long time before she'd likely find a job. I'd imagine the job market is softer now given the pandemic, so while your wife might be able to find work in healthcare, you might face limited prospects.
Interesting. Didn’t know about the grandparent rule. Not that it helps, me and my wife only have great grandparents from there.
Been hearing the economy has been in a recession for awhile from my friends over there.

Top Bottom