Brooks saddle?

wonderturtle

Have always loved the look. would Look particularly cool on my Krampus.

but they $$

anyone with experience. Are they worth the $$?

Kaleidopete

I bought the Brooks' C17 Cambium Carved All Weather Saddle in black and I didn't like it.
I'm sure it's a great saddle by the reputation, I just didn't care for it after just a few rides.
I think it cost just over $100 new, want this one for $40. ?

wonderturtle

I bought the Brooks' C17 Cambium Carved All Weather Saddle in black and I didn't like it.
I'm sure it's a great saddle by the reputation, I just didn't care for it after just a few rides.
I think it cost just over $100 new, want this one for $40. ?

thanks but I’m thinking of the antique brown color of the b17. The antique brown against the green of my frame..

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I have the exact brown leather b17 on my TwinSix Standard Rando. I also have Brooks' C17 Cambium Carved On my Mukluk and a C15 carved on my fixie. You definitely need to condition the b17 and break it in.... but it’s magic after that. But the one issue is water.... if you’re gonna ride in (Or just after) the rain, you’ll want to take precautions. Just my 2c Mark.

wonderturtle

I have the exact brown leather b17 on my TwinSix Standard Rando. I also have Brooks' C17 Cambium Carved On my Mukluk and a C15 carved on my fixie. You definitely need to condition the b17 and break it in.... but it’s magic after that. But the one issue is water.... if you’re gonna ride in (Or just after) the rain, you’ll want to take precautions. Just my 2c Mark.

it would be on a mountain bike (Eg not on a commuter) so it wouldn’t get wet except for the occasional puddle. I’m assuming if i condition it with the cream that the occasional splash wouldn’t cause issues? Yes / no?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
it would be on a mountain bike (Eg not on a commuter) so it wouldn’t get wet except for the occasional puddle. I’m assuming if i condition it with the cream that the occasional splash wouldn’t cause issues? Yes / no?
As long as you keep it conditioned it’ll be fine in that use case.

Karate Monkey

Use Obenauf's instead of the Brooks paste. It will be "waterproof" after several treatments, with continued use.

I've got several Brooks, and would personally use a Professional (or one of the other narrow models) for mountain biking. The skirts are a bit narrower/don't flare as much towards the back.

I've currently got a C-13 carbon on my bike, and it will probably remain when I re-do the drivetrain to be single speed. I find it a bit too unyielding seated 95% of the time. Probably has something to do with the textile pattern.

I have other thoughts that I will post later...

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I’ve had a couple b-17s. I like them a lot, mostly used them on commuter bikes I wouldn’t be riding with a chamois. I ended up selling one and the other ended up on my wife’s cross bike, but I’m contemplating getting another for my monster cross bike.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
100% worth it. I have a brown B17 with like 10k miles on it.... the thing is like a leather couch now. Also have a black black B17 on my gravel bike and my wifes gravel bike. I won't ride anything else.

+ you don't need bib shorts.

Here is the well used one. Its been thru snow, rain, wet farts, the heat... you name it.
20200626_164307.jpg

Last edited:

wonderturtle

100% worth it. I have a brown B17 with like 10k miles on it.... the thing is like a leather couch now. Also have a black black B17 on my gravel bike and my wifes gravel bike. I won't ride anything else.

+ you don't need bib shorts.

Here is the well used one. Its been thru snow, rain, wet farts, the heat... you name it. View attachment 132656

nice!

was just telling a buddy about this morning and that’s exactly the look I’m thinking of (including the retro looking bag).

....Maybe even brown grips and some sidewall tires..... A boy can dream

btw is the bike a Surly?

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

So, I've been using some kind of leather Brooks for something like 11 years, at this point. My oldest is a 'Professional', my youngest a 'Flyer'. I'll admit that, for the Flyer, leather probably doesn't matter as much, since the bike it is on is only used for a few hours a week, if that, and the springs add considerable sag to the operation. That said, it is one of--if not the most--comfortable sprung saddles I've ever used, and I've sat on quite a few.

My Professional has seen constant use for around 10 years. It has been well cared for, with some scuffs/scratches in the top/rivets, and there is cracking on the top layer of the leather. I've added a quarter turn of tension twice in those years, with 9/10ths of the tension bolt remaining. It remains absolutely the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on (not at first, mind. When it was new, it was like sitting on a rock). It's been soaked through twice from torrential downpours, but left to dry, it is unharmed; I suspect the cracking happened then. Since I've started using the Obenauf's, I haven't worried about the occasional sprinkle, but I also have been careful not to use it in excessively wet weather.

My B-17s, one of which was destroyed when I was hit, were less unyielding than the Professional when they were new, but there was still a fairly significant break in period. I'm going to go out on a limb and dissent from the no-padded-shorts crowd and say, when you are breaking them in, WEAR A CHAMOIS. When I bought my second B-17, I got an Imperial so it could be laced together to stiffen the back end a bit. The cutout is emphatically unnecessary in my experience, but I guess it's okay if you want to save 10g.

The saddles, regardless of type, are all much cooler during the summer. Humidity doesn't seem to affect them negatively, nor sweat.

TMI time: I spend ~10 hours a week sitting on a wood bench (piano/organ), so my sit bones ACHE if the saddle is even kind of uncomfortable. Leather saddles have been nothing short of a god-send to me, allowing me to continue riding with less pain.

Ian F

How long does the break-in take? I'm considering switching to these and I prefer all of my bikes to have the same saddle - so I'll need 5 of them. My thought is to rotate them on a bike during Zwift sessions over the winter to break them in.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I loved my B17 until I got caught in a trential downpour on the Greenway on a commute home one afternoon. Then it was deformed never the same no matter what I did. One minor nugget that no one here has mentioned and may not be a deterrent is these saddles are heavy as fuck compared to most saddles. But as most said you will not find a more comfortable saddle on the market.

Top Bottom