The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'mma gunna let you guys go it alone - you know, 3rd wheel and all.
that and leaving my house at 4:30....with a broken bike, and then
your bikes will break cause of the jinx cloud around me. (ask @Strugglebus, he was today's victim)

have fun, be safe.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First acknowledgements.
Thanks for kind words @Pearl
@Zaskar you been with me since page 1, let's ride!
@Juggernaut that goes out to you to.

Funny how some from 11 years ago are long gone yet still a good amount still here.

Now to todays events.
The riots found Slacktown and burnt maxwell house to the ground.

First the merry go round song of the day
Screenshot_20200620-110053_Spotify.jpg

The Maxathon that was. This was before the pain and hally toe. Approximately 5:45 am. As you can see all smiles.
20200620_060814.jpg

As we ascended i made it clear to Max keep it dialed low in order to keep that 20+ goal. We covered some junk miles up top on the southern end before dropping back down the burger trails. Lost Max for breif few minutes pick him up at a cut through on lower maze. Shot up upper maze and across lower Stephens. At the new bridges is where I got the first signs that the white flag was coming.
Not so happy it seems.
20200620_075832.jpg

This point headed towards beyond the boarder trail where the wheels were falling off, probably mile 14 hour 3.5?
Max was considering calling it but my manipulating personality won him over.
I pointed over there and out, ok I lied a little i forgot to mention its about 300' more climbing :) but hey its all downhill so we are good right.

Ran into @Reggie @roc And Mike (not sure if you got a screen name) chatted breifly then rolled on. Climbed up Subaru to whatever that down is.
Came across this when I was hanging for Max to catch up. Nice touch.
20200620_084904.jpg

Then down to where it was over for Max. Left him in spot to ride out in the pain cave.

I continued over and on to water cooler climb back up to hit the 2 sasquach downhills to lower back to lower maze
And down central maze. Now it was ollie who was fading. Once I could see she was following i knew it was time to pull the plug.

Hit some goals today.
5 hrs ride time
20+ judging by Maxs strava
238.8 on the bathroom scale.
So from mothers day 274lbs
To fathers day 238lbs

I can say I had more gas in the tank to continue on today and i am ready to start pulling those triples and eventually pulling in KVSP also.

Max had requested he really wanted to get into North today. I needed to test that theory. Couple more rides and you'll be ready. I told him north is a different animal when it comes to hitting mileage marks. Overall Max you did great and your on your way for @JimN Adventures.

serviceguy

First acknowledgements.
Thanks for kind words @Pearl
@Zaskar you been with me since page 1, let's ride!
@Juggernaut that goes out to you to.

Funny how some from 11 years ago are long gone yet still a good amount still here.

Now to todays events.
The riots found Slacktown and burnt maxwell house to the ground.

First the merry go round song of the day
View attachment 132075

The Maxathon that was. This was before the pain and hally toe. Approximately 5:45 am. As you can see all smiles.
View attachment 132076

As we ascended i made it clear to Max keep it dialed low in order to keep that 20+ goal. We covered some junk miles up top on the southern end before dropping back down the burger trails. Lost Max for breif few minutes pick him up at a cut through on lower maze. Shot up upper maze and across lower Stephens. At the new bridges is where I got the first signs that the white flag was coming.
Not so happy it seems.
View attachment 132077

This point headed towards beyond the boarder trail where the wheels were falling off, probably mile 14 hour 3.5?
Max was considering calling it but my manipulating personality won him over.
I pointed over there and out, ok I lied a little i forgot to mention its about 300' more climbing :) but hey its all downhill so we are good right.

Ran into @Reggie @roc And Mike (not sure if you got a screen name) chatted breifly then rolled on. Climbed up Subaru to whatever that down is.
Came across this when I was hanging for Max to catch up. Nice touch.
View attachment 132088
Then down to where it was over for Max. Left him in spot to ride out in the pain cave.

I continued over and on to water cooler climb back up to hit the 2 sasquach downhills to lower back to lower maze
And down central maze. Now it was ollie who was fading. Once I could see she was following i knew it was time to pull the plug.

Hit some goals today.
5 hrs ride time
20+ judging by Maxs strava
238.8 on the bathroom scale.
So from mothers day 274lbs
To fathers day 238lbs

I can say I had more gas in the tank to continue on today and i am ready to start pulling those triples and eventually pulling in KVSP also.

Max had requested he really wanted to get into North today. I needed to test that theory. Couple more rides and you'll be ready. I told him north is a different animal when it comes to hitting mileage marks. Overall Max you did great and your on your way for @JimN Adventures.
You obviously have a souped up engine, at about the same weight you would leave me in the dust...or maybe be I am underpowered? Or both? BTW, excellent music choice, just not sure I would be able to keep it in a loop for 5 hours...

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good seeing you guys out there today!!!

That rock face is actually Leroy whom the trail is named after.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
First and foremost
Happy Father's day Dads...

Screenshot_20200621-134015_Spotify.jpg

Was the theme from beginning of the ride to the last 15 feet of trail where we saw our 3rd.
We like The Turtle's
20200621_083715.jpg
20200621_091532.jpg
20200621_110119.jpg

Rode mooch from the camp. About 2.5 hours and some fun tech and sessioning. Some flubs and some hell years!

When @pedals and I ride she likes to take a bunch of pictures which I am cool with. Just a really chill ride and happy to be out with my lady.

Picture heavy.
20200621_121907.jpg
20200621_091742.jpg
20200621_093050.jpg
20200621_105139.jpg
20200621_092834.jpg

Solid week looking forward to another ✌

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The only rule is it begins
Happy happy oh my friend
20200622_084000.jpg

Here is a question.
If you arrive to your ride destination and realize you forgot your helmet and only have a short window to ride, do you
A. Bag the ride for possibly later?
B. Be dummkopf and ride without one?

Its been about 7 years that I wake to an alarm after 27 years of a 4:30 am bell. Self employment affords you that. Honestly waking up at 4:30 am sucks, but once a coffee runs through you and your hitting the trails before 5:30 am its pretty magical. The last several years of my NYC job were basically the same. Getting up to do big rides before the work day. I thought that that city riding was exhilarating though now riding every morning, its just the actual ride!

So to @serviceguy its just the Consistency.
As @stb222 preaches and @Norm Says throw an hour up on the scorecard daily and the motor runs clean. It does become somewhat of an obsession for me.
At least this is a better obsession then some of my other past addictions. Right now I feel better then I have in a real long time, and its a great feeling. Its easy to fall off and so hard to get that fitness back but I am getting some of that resemblances back.

Ok i am not joking, this is where old me still ticks, I am mounting a garmin on ollie and signing her up on strava, look for ollie is faster then you! Hopefully she starts taking down all the local KOMs :)
20200622_054825.jpg
20200622_060557.jpg
20200622_062035.jpg

Yes I was a dummkopf
20200622_070438.jpg

Last edited:

jackx

Glad to hear you are feeling better than you have in a long time. I am sure it will be amazingly easier to ride longer - especially in the hot weather - when you reach your goal.

I keep an older set of full-fingered gloves in my car because that is the item I will most likely forget for a MTB ride. Perhaps keep an old helmet in the car, which would be better to have then no helmet, and getting a kopfschmerzen.

Will be good to see on Strava where Ollie likes to go in the parks, and what loops she puts together. She will be the QOM in her weight-class and breed, and likely a local legend in no time.

Kaleidopete

Happy happy oh my friend
View attachment 132313

Here is a question.
If you arrive to your ride destination and realize you forgot your helmet and only have a short window to ride, do you

Yes I was a dummkopf
I did that once, was a dummkopf. I wasn't as lucky as you.
Crash head03.jpg

Last edited:

serviceguy

Happy happy oh my friend
View attachment 132313

Here is a question.

Its been about 7 years that I wake to an alarm after 27 years of a 4:30 am bell. Self employment affords you that. Honestly waking up at 4:30 am sucks, but once a coffee runs through you and your hitting the trails before 5:30 am its pretty magical. The last several years of my NYC job were basically the same. Getting up to do big rides before the work day. I thought that that city riding was exhilarating though now riding every morning, its just the actual ride!

So to @serviceguy its just the Consistency.
As @stb222 preaches and @Norm Says throw an hour up on the scorecard daily and the motor runs clean. It does become somewhat of an obsession for me.
At least this is a better obsession then some of my other past addictions. Right now I feel better then I have in a real long time, and its a great feeling. Its easy to fall off and so hard to get that fitness back but I am getting some of that resemblances back.

Ok i am not joking, this is where old me still ticks, I am mounting a garmin on ollie and signing her up on strava, look for ollie is faster then you! Hopefully she starts taking down all the local KOMs :)
View attachment 132315View attachment 132316View attachment 132317

Yes I was a dummkopf
View attachment 132318
To answer your question, my choice would be B-ecause of safety, but who am I kidding, it would be just an excuse to go back to bed...not a likely scenario for me though as I ride 99% of the times directly out of the garage.

I completely agree about consistency. I used to get up at 4:30 am, be at the Gym by 5:15 am and be at work at 7:30 am. Best time of my mature life, felt good and full of energy, I had no issue at all getting up that early. Then I got a bad flu, was sick for several days and since then I've never been able to go back to the same regimen. No specific reason, I can't drag myself out of bed unless I have a paid reason for it (work). I tried last winter and got up early to ride the trainer, did it a few times with good success (I managed to get down to 202 lbs on that stretch) but again, once I came back from my time off due to my father's passing, I've not been able to go back to it. It's all psychological. I'll give it another try again.

And I've no doubt Ollie is faster than me, she's also got 4 legs and weights what, 70 lbs ?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
WTF
20200622_173620.jpg

Yup @Patrick swung by today to help this guy out with taxes today. We need to start a go fund me for all the hats Pat wears. Of course he came prepared to saddle up for some steamy dirt time. We kept a pretty busy pedal and even laid down a solid pace on the middle up on cooler trail.

Who is cooler then this guy
20200622_162539.jpg

The country of Vistar guess thats why the trail beyond the border is vistar
20200622_160039.jpg

Nothing beats a full serpentine maze proper
20200622_152056.jpg

And thats exactly how many times we stopped in pics.

Hopefully I will have a special guest tomorrow a.m.

Invite to any 5am riders, get the magic while you can ✌

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rare but hopefully not the last of early riders adventures. @Reggie and @The Landfill of Slacktown met up this morning for a magical morning before the steam settled in.
20200623_054027.jpg

Was awesome to have company as always with any ride. None of us were interested in Haley toe to start so down around a serpentine maze proper again. Super fun when done right. Today I was the anchor, blew out my front pads on the fat bike yesterday with @Patrick so the ripmo pig was my only choice. Well thats not completely true. I could have grabbed the misfit SS, hmm. Not sure if my knee is up to snuff yet for SSing, may have to test that out.
20200623_061442.jpg

Back to the Ripmo AF for a moment. For those who think this bike is for them. My small takes so far. Its not a bike you bring to join a hardtail group party. Its not gonna get you KOMs on any climbs. Its heavy AF! I still haven't got completely comfortable with the long and low especially in the slow tech. I seem to get hung up much but a bit of that is rider fitness. Much core work is needed yet. What the Ripmo is, is extremely stable especially in the down direction. With all that heft it keeps the bike planted. I haven't had any scary moments attacking the down as this is where the bike shines. Just to be clear this bike also climbs really well, dwlink hooks up as advertised. Its just slow or I am just slow, either way I always have a big ass grin when going down. Can't wait to take it to bike parks.
20200623_074713.jpg

Thanks again guys for hanging with me this morning for another great morning of riding.
Pic before the final burger DH!
20200623_070149.jpg

Keep the rides spicy ✌

Top Bottom