My unprofessional review of Cushcore

Cassinonorth

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I’ve been looking for some Pepis tire noodles. PTNs. They’re supposed to be a little lighter than the Cushcore which, as a kinda skinny someone primarily riding XC this is what I want. The reviews are pretty great letting the rider lower their PSI down to the mid teens.

The problem is they are nowhere to be found in the US. If anyone sees them for sale here, let me know!

jackx

I'm using cushcore front and rear. Its a noticeable difference when smashing through rock gardens or dropping onto pointy, rocky landings. The only issue that I have is if you do get a flat it becomes a bit of a pain in the ass un-mount the tire to get the cushcore out so that you can get the tube in. Also you need to learn the technique of mounting tires with cushcore which can be a bit frustrating at first. But its pretty cool when you have a harsh impact and not ding the rim.
So it seems it is not possible to leave Cushcore installed and a partially inflated tube.

Does that necessitate having a backpack to stuff a Cushcore inside in case a tube is needed - and a plastic bag for a messy, sealant-covered Cushcore?

Perhaps not, since needing a tube may be a rare occurrence for many riders. It's been a long time since I had a major tire-burp or sidewall gash requiring a tube, and that includes when I used to run non-tubeless ready rims "ghetto tubeless" using Gorilla tape and valvestems cut off old road tubes.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
To stay on topic, anyone have experience with Vittoria Air Liners? Seem generally available in the US, less $$ than cushcore, and you don't need special valves. Re; sidewall support, they don't seem to be quite on par with cushcore, but re; air volume decrease and rim protection, seems like they'd do the trick.

bergsnj

So it seems it is not possible to leave Cushcore installed and a partially inflated tube.

Does that necessitate having a backpack to stuff a Cushcore inside in case a tube is needed - and a plastic bag for a messy, sealant-covered Cushcore?

Perhaps not, since needing a tube may be a rare occurrence for many riders. It's been a long time since I had a major tire-burp or sidewall gash requiring a tube, and that includes when I used to run non-tubeless ready rims "ghetto tubeless" using Gorilla tape and valvestems cut off old road tubes.

if you need to use a tube you will need to remove the cushcore. You can wear the cushcore across your torso like one of those bandit bullet holder things they used in the old west if you don't have a camelback to stuff it into. Hopefully if you get a flat you can use a plug and keep the cushcore in. But if you dont have a plug or if the hole is too big for a plug then you need to get the cushcore out.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

I was able to pedal 2 miles out of Chimney Rock on a Huck Norris with the tire essentially flat. Tire was f'd anyway. No rim damage. Cushcore should (hopefully) provide even more rim protection.

jackx

if you need to use a tube you will need to remove the cushcore. You can wear the cushcore across your torso like one of those bandit bullet holder things they used in the old west if you don't have a camelback to stuff it into. Hopefully if you get a flat you can use a plug and keep the cushcore in. But if you dont have a plug or if the hole is too big for a plug then you need to get the cushcore out.

I was able to pedal 2 miles out of Chimney Rock on a Huck Norris with the tire essentially flat. Tire was f'd anyway. No rim damage. Cushcore should (hopefully) provide even more rim protection.
Good to know. Thank you both!

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
On 2 occasions I had to ride back to car w flat on cushcore xc . First One put a huge hole in center of tire no rim damage and the mile back to car was not ridden easily at all. second front completely flat because valve or tape issue at glen park rode down the hill at decent speed back to car again was able to ride at faster than acceptable speed for being completely flat , no rim damage.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Back in 1995 when I was 3...
1995 son
20200618_172914.jpg

Top Bottom