Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Kaleidopete

All trails are in great shape.
Now, remember it's bug season and they're out. Ride with mouth closed!
Lots of turtles out on the ground laying eggs now, watch not to ride over them.
Lots of wildlife running around, baby bunnies, turkey, bear, coyote, bobcat.

today's turkey
Dsc04544.jpg

trekfan

Trails were in good shape today. Super large tree down on pumphouse just after the rock bridge. Like waist high.No go around yet, but will probably need one, as this thing is a big boy ! A smaller one down on south end between the intersection of Pumphouse and the intersection with timber, if I remember right.

btw i've decided that this tree after the rock bridge is the biggest tree i've ever seen fallen at waway. i saw 2 separate families of hikers forced to turn around over the weekend because there was no way for them to get the small children over it.

trekfan

serious question...has anyone been bitten or does anyone know someone who has been bitten by a rattlesnake here? i've been riding for 10+ years and saw a grand total of 1 rattlesnake in that time. this past week i have seen THREE of them, and today was a VERY close call. descending turkey ridge just past buddha and didn't see the snake until my wheel was no more than 6 inches from it. it started rattling right as i was past it and my back tire didn't run over it but definitely touched it. couldn't wait to get back to the car at that point

Kaleidopete

serious question...has anyone been bitten or does anyone know someone who has been bitten by a rattlesnake here? i've been riding for 10+ years and saw a grand total of 1 rattlesnake in that time. this past week i have seen THREE of them, and today was a VERY close call. descending turkey ridge just past buddha and didn't see the snake until my wheel was no more than 6 inches from it. it started rattling right as i was past it and my back tire didn't run over it but definitely touched it. couldn't wait to get back to the car at that point
Nope....never saw a rattlesnake here, been riding every day 3 years. Yer just lucky! :)

sundaydoug

I've seen one rattlesnake in 15ish years, on Split Rock a couple years ago. They're out there for sure...

Skunkape

In my time here, I’ve seen a few and always considered it a treat. Several years ago at the top of rattlesnake incidentally, I came across a real monster. 6 feet and big as your bicep with no real fear of anything. In every case, I had plenty of warning and never felt in danger, but I always have to shake my head when I see riders with earbuds in.

xc62701

How are conditions here? Looking to do a bearscat loop tomorrow. Are they charging a fee to enter?

V-Dub

How are conditions here? Looking to do a bearscat loop tomorrow. Are they charging a fee to enter?
I was there couple days ago and it was pretty mint, some face slappers and a handful of trees to test your trials skills on but the BS loop will be good. I suggest climbing up the wall instead of that blown out road

xc62701

I was there couple days ago and it was pretty mint, some face slappers and a handful of trees to test your trials skills on but the BS loop will be good. I suggest climbing up the wall instead of that blown out road
I might just do that. I wanted to throw gravity in there as well. How is gravity counterclockwise? I’ve jonly ridden it cw.

V-Dub

I might just do that. I wanted to throw gravity in there as well. How is gravity counterclockwise? I’ve jonly ridden it cw.
Gravity has been good just a little over grown in spots. I think they only charge on the weekends, if you park by the office you never pay

xc62701

Gravity has been good just a little over grown in spots. I think they only charge on the weekends, if you park by the office you never pay
Good to know. If they ask me to pay I'll pull a uturn and ride from there.

Kaleidopete

Been working on the trails I ride removing the deadly sticker trailers and also some offensive branches.
I pretty much got all Iron Mt. trail and lower Old Wawayanda trail, along with some of the unknown
off shoot trails that I ride. Something I kept meaning to do, but never get around to it. I'm sure the horse
people will like it too.
Black Eagle trail
Dsc04750.jpg

Iron Mt stickers
Dsc04751.jpg

unknown tr entrance before
Dsc04752.jpg

Unknown tr enterance after
Dsc04753.jpg

chris12453

There is still a relatively large tree down mid Hoeferlin trail coming from either the ranger station or the double pond side. The tall grass up on the pipeline where Tombstone and Rattlesnake connect is getting a bit out of hand now. Lot of catches with the pedals as you navigate and it is as tall as the person riding the bike now. Same would be true to Pines, however the ATV's have helped there. I ride so much back here, I can't remember everything as I hop most of it, but other than just general pruning, wayway is in good shape.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions