Tubeless setup

Rockbottom

I finally decided to attempt to convert my tires to tubeless. After taking a drop at sourlands landed me 2 pinch flats, I decided it was time.

My rims are tubeless ready so they were already taped. I was able to get the tire seated well using the Topeak Joe blow pump and used Stans tire sealant. Did the eliptical revolutions and let the tire sit overnight. Noticing a leak in 2 different areas. 4 spokes
in sequence all have a small leak. Also getting pinhole leak near the tire bead in 2 spots.

Is it okay to tape over existing rim tape to get a better chance for a seal, or should I remove old tape and apply new?

tried pooling sealant near pinhole leak by tire bead, let it sit again but no luck. Sealant doesn’t seem to be plugging the leak. Hoping when I remove and re-seat the tire this will solve the problem.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
^This
If you’re getting leakage through spoke holes, that calls for fresh tape.
Clean the rims with rubbing alcohol or similar, and fresh tape.
Overlap 2” on both sides of the valve hole.

Pinhole leak in a tire should seal.

It’s a little work on set up, but totally worth it.

Rockbottom

Do you know if the rims had proper tubeless tape on them already? You may be better off replacing it with fresh Stan’s yellow tape.
I believe it was the right tubeless tape. Thinking I may have compromised the tape at some point with a metal tire lever trying to pry the tire on/off.

I ordered Stans yellow tape and gorilla tape. Debating which one to use. Either way it’s back to square one :(

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I believe it was the right tubeless tape. Thinking I may have compromised the tape at some point with a metal tire lever trying to pry the tire on/off.

I ordered Stans yellow tape and gorilla tape. Debating which one to use. Either way it’s back to square one :(
If the rims are tubeless ready, 100% Stan's yellow tape. Start 2" before valve stem hole, keep taught as you make your away around to ensure no air bubbles, and overlap 2" past valve stem hole.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Also a great tip from @jdog, use emery cloth on the rim before applying the tape just to give it a little texture to adhere to. My method was to get it taped up, valve stem in, and tire on. Then I lightly sprayed soapy water around the bead, hit it with the compressor to make that bead pop onto the rim. After I was fairly certain it sealed I filled it with sealant through the valve core and pumped it back up to the correct pressure. SHAKE the hell out of that wheel to get the sealant in every spot. I mean hold the wheel horizontally and shake, rotating it in your hands the whole time. I found this really gets the sealant in all those spots. I've had tubeless on my road bike for over a year and they're solid as can be. Some of my steps may have been overkill but it worked.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod

Don't stress which tape just get w.e. you can find.

Rockbottom

Also a great tip from @jdog, use emery cloth on the rim before applying the tape just to give it a little texture to adhere to. My method was to get it taped up, valve stem in, and tire on. Then I lightly sprayed soapy water around the bead, hit it with the compressor to make that bead pop onto the rim. After I was fairly certain it sealed I filled it with sealant through the valve core and pumped it back up to the correct pressure. SHAKE the hell out of that wheel to get the sealant in every spot. I mean hold the wheel horizontally and shake, rotating it in your hands the whole time. I found this really gets the sealant in all those spots. I've had tubeless on my road bike for over a year and they're solid as can be. Some of my steps may have been overkill but it worked.
I was thinking of brushing some sealant around the tire bead rather than soapy water. Thinking that this method would be a lubricant and help seal the bead better? I was wondering if some of the soapy water mixed with the sealant that it would not seal as well? Maybe I’m just overthinking this.

Next attempt I’ll shake the tire much better. Think I went to easy on it the first time.

Thanks for all the assistance!

Rocksrgood4u

I usually ride around to make sure the bead is really seated. Have employed a dab of caulk (before taping) on those weird little holes on Stans rims.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was thinking of brushing some sealant around the tire bead rather than soapy water. Thinking that this method would be a lubricant and help seal the bead better? I was wondering if some of the soapy water mixed with the sealant that it would not seal as well? Maybe I’m just overthinking this.

Next attempt I’ll shake the tire much better. Think I went to easy on it the first time.

Thanks for all the assistance!
the soapy water just helps the bead slide across the rim bed easier. a little bit shouldn't effect the sealant... also, like @Big Dumb Animal said, put the sealant in after, thru the valve core.

Top Bottom