James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Transition: Day 23 (of 26) - Where Does the Time Go?

Holy shit I only have 3 more days of freedom after today. That's sad. But I'm still excited about the new beginning. I guess on that note the blog will evolve come Monday, as will my life. It was good, and is good, but shall come to an end shortly. Rather, another change. Not an end.

I started the day early by tying up a tree that we planted a few years ago to try to get it to grow straighter. Points for the artistic wrap?

IMG_8450.JPG

Then I cleaned up the RIP 9 and put it on Facebook marketplace. I had a few people comment to me that $500 was perhaps generous for the SS and maybe it was. But the guy was so excited and he said that this was going to allow him to be able to ride with his 13 year old son. And when I checked his Facebook profile one of his pics was his kid in front of his new wallpaper, which was a full wall of The Empire Strikes Back. So instead of haggling with these assholes who a) bail then b) don't show up then c) lowball you, I decided it was better for this guy to have it and for it to have a good home.

He texted me today and told me that he went out to his shed at midnight to look at it. This is how excited he is. That's pretty cool.

Anyway, today is RIP 9 day. I hate this fucking bike.

IMG_0667.jpg

Listed it then went on a road ride, where I threw down a bit today and managed to hold a 19.8 average up to about 1.5 miles from home. I knew the effort wasn't going to pan out into a 20 average to I soft pedaled home from there. But damn it was a solid effort and here and there, I'm getting a break in the allergy hell and starting to feel pretty good.

IMG_8449.JPG

Then, you know, afternoon coffee. I love this Sonics mug, as it reminds me of my time in Seattle when an old college roommate and I went across country for like 6 or 8 weeks and we landed in Seattle for 7 days. We went to 2 Sonics games, back in the day when Shawn Kemp played and Eddie Vedder used to have front row seats and the place was e-goddamn-lectric. It was a good stay in Seattle but these 2 games were the thing I remember the most. This was back in the Gary Payton days, and the X-man was there also. I don't remember if he was on that team but this was some vintage stuff,

IMG_8447.JPG

Then it was time to go outside. We put in 2 hours of grueling work, which reminds me I need to add this to my weekly total. I'm not counting the bridge work, as cutting & screwing wood does not take much effort. But digging does.

So today we needed to address the result of the bridge work you saw yesterday. When you come down that ramp, you build up a lot of steam. It comes into a berm which needs work but we didn't hit that today. We hit the post log-over section to groom the trail, fill in some low stuff, trim a bunch of weeds & branches, and build a return to the main system. This is the lowest trail, where we started. The far side is where we put in a lot of digging which is the groomed turn.

IMG_8452.JPG

After that we decided to build a direct up & over at the log, which until today was going to be 1-way. This is the same log that Sideshow Bob goes over, just to the left of this This is steeper than it looks (because you climb slightly to it) and puts you right back into the starting area of the park:

IMG_8453.JPG

After this I was too tired to ride it. Zac did 1 lap and said it was good. Then we all quit and went inside.

And then I constructed burritos.

IMG_8454.JPG

Then I sold the RIP 9 in town for $600. Total win on that one. But the guy who bought it is just getting into the sport so this is a perfect bike for him. I think this is another bike going to a good place, which is what I would prefer to do here.

Transition: Day 24 (of 26) - The Last Weekday

@ChrisG - the bike was definitely in good shape. The guy got a good deal on it but at the same time, in reality the bike was worthless to me. I'm happy to see someone get good use of it. The guy has texted me 3 straight days now talking about it. I mean it's cool. I'm glad he's happy with it.

This morning I groomed bike #3 for sale. I gave @jmanic the first option but he passed. This is the bike Julia learned to ride on. As much as I would love to save it for memories, that's just not realistic. Posted it up on Facebook Marketplace by 9:30.

IMG_0679.jpg

Had my first work call today which was just an hour with the EM I'll be working with who is a sideways 8 (infinity) better than The Big B, even after just talking to her for an hour. I was impressed with her organization and it'll be nice to work with someone who has their shit together. Talked about the first project I'll be on, which is an org out of Philly and we'll be doing workshops the week after next. So we're jumping right into it, and thankfully I'm there from day 1 so I'll be able to see how everything flows from the door,

Then I did an easy spin on the Zwiffer for recovery, and watched Upload.

IMG_8455.JPG

Jumped outside for an hour after lunch and worked on our Jump Line, where we added the second kicker, groomed the first kicker landing, and cut some dirt off the inside of the berm and added it to the landing on kicker 2. This was a solid hour and it adds a lot of awesome to the Jump Line. I think in reality this is going to be a bump plus 2 kickers for the time being. We really don't have the real estate to add a 3rd kicker anywhere so I think this is it...for now. But this will eventually lead into the big drop, which may give The Greatest Show Above (My) Earth a run for its money. That's a super big project - a summer thing for sure.

IMG_8457.JPG

Went into town and sold bike #3 for $240. Came home and rode the trails for 30+ minutes, 2 different sets. It was hot today, but these things are hard to run over & over. It takes a lot out of you. I rode the full log ride twice today. With the bridge work and the log, that's gotta be 80 feet in total. Not my strength but I'm getting better at it. Then we both threw in the towel because it was just steamy out there.

Then I took a nap. Why? Because naps are awesome.

Finished up grooming the garden fence, which meant cutting the bottom of the fence and bending each one of those cuts up, then weed wacking and such. The grass & weeds were growing behind the fence and it looked like crap. Looks much better now.

IMG_8456.JPG

Took a shower, went to get some pizza.

IMG_8459.JPG

Then started cutting another kicker and had a non-alcoholic beer, which is surprisingly tasty. Alex & Mark had these at their house once and I finally bit the bullet and ordered it. Solid. Should have kicker 2 constructed tomorrow.

IMG_8460.JPG

Transition: Day 24 (of 26) - The Last Weekday

@ChrisG - the bike was definitely in good shape. The guy got a good deal on it but at the same time, in reality the bike was worthless to me. I'm happy to see someone get good use of it. The guy has texted me 3 straight days now talking about it. I mean it's cool. I'm glad he's happy with it.

This morning I groomed bike #3 for sale. I gave @jmanic the first option but he passed. This is the bike Julia learned to ride on. As much as I would love to save it for memories, that's just not realistic. Posted it up on Facebook Marketplace by 9:30.

Had my first work call today which was just an hour with the EM I'll be working with who is a sideways 8 (infinity) better than The Big B, even after just talking to her for an hour. I was impressed with her organization and it'll be nice to work with someone who has their shit together. Talked about the first project I'll be on, which is an org out of Philly and we'll be doing workshops the week after next. So we're jumping right into it, and thankfully I'm there from day 1 so I'll be able to see how everything flows from the door,

Then I did an easy spin on the Zwiffer for recovery, and watched Upload.

Jumped outside for an hour after lunch and worked on our Jump Line, where we added the second kicker, groomed the first kicker landing, and cut some dirt off the inside of the berm and added it to the landing on kicker 2. This was a solid hour and it adds a lot of awesome to the Jump Line. I think in reality this is going to be a bump plus 2 kickers for the time being. We really don't have the real estate to add a 3rd kicker anywhere so I think this is it...for now. But this will eventually lead into the big drop, which may give The Greatest Show Above (My) Earth a run for its money. That's a super big project - a summer thing for sure.

Went into town and sold bike #3 for $240. Came home and rode the trails for 30+ minutes, 2 different sets. It was hot today, but these things are hard to run over & over. It takes a lot out of you. I rode the full log ride twice today. With the bridge work and the log, that's gotta be 80 feet in total. Not my strength but I'm getting better at it. Then we both threw in the towel because it was just steamy out there.

Then I took a nap. Why? Because naps are awesome.

Finished up grooming the garden fence, which meant cutting the bottom of the fence and bending each one of those cuts up, then weed wacking and such. The grass & weeds were growing behind the fence and it looked like crap. Looks much better now.

Took a shower, went to get some pizza.

Then started cutting another kicker and had a non-alcoholic beer, which is surprisingly tasty. Alex & Mark had these at their house once and I finally bit the bullet and ordered it. Solid. Should have kicker 2 constructed tomorrow.

tell him I’m listing my 2012 for $1,500
@jmanic has first dibs

Transition: Day 25 (of 26) - Pennsylvania!

Never thought I would be so excited to go to Pennsylvania, but here we are at a point in life when a trip to PA is like an exotic voyage. Before the trek, I did some morning reading, made the hole in the bird house bigger, and went for a road ride in which I averaged 20.6 mph for a 26+ mile ride. Things just fell into place today I guess. I also ran over a squirrel on the ride. This is not the first time I've done this, so it was a mere bump in the road, literally.

Headed out to see my folks today in PA. They have a bunch of things planted that look really good. They've done a bunch of planting in their free time.

IMG_8461.JPG

They have a bunch of these. We took some home. They're outside waiting to be planted tomorrow.

IMG_8462.JPG

It was a great day to be outside, which is what we did. Got there at lunch, had some sandwiches. Then we sat outside and hung out. Went for a walk in the woods behind the house a little. D cut my hair then Simon insisted I cut his. That may be the last time he does that.

IMG_8465.JPG

Headed back home and I decided to rake some of the berms, just to get some of the loose stuff off. So one thing led to another and I moved one of my original bumps that was literally just a dome of dirt in the middle of the trail. We decided that it was better used elsewhere so I groomed it out and turned it into this:

IMG_8468.JPG

This will be a transition of sorts soon, hopefully tomorrow.

IMG_8467.JPG

Then I did an hour of the team Zoom call, then bowed out to watch Hotel Artemis. In progress now, thus the brevity of this post.

IMG_8470.JPG

Transition: Day 26 (of 26) - This is the End

My only friend...

IMG_8471.JPG

Some things that happened today. I didn't do everything I hoped. But it was a full enough day regardless.

1. I slept in
2. I went for an easy road ride with D while 2 of the 3 kids slept
3. I started mowing the lawn, until it was lunch time
4. We went to Nassau to ride, which is a great place for us to go as it allows us all to ride together. Zac and I can go back & forth or play on stuff at trail heads
5. Came home, mowed the rest of the lawn
6. Had D's family Sunday call
7. Had dinner with the crew, then took Julia back to her mom's
8. Went to Acme for milk
9. Came home and had one of these near-beers, for @jmanic

What I Learned

So what did I learn through this endeavor? It is this. Here is the secret which you should all come to terms with.

Being Amish sucks.

So long, and thanks for all the fish. See you when I see you.

IMG_8473.JPG

Transition: Day 26 (of 26) - This is the End

My only friend...

Some things that happened today. I didn't do everything I hoped. But it was a full enough day regardless.

1. I slept in
2. I went for an easy road ride with D while 2 of the 3 kids slept
3. I started mowing the lawn, until it was lunch time
4. We went to Nassau to ride, which is a great place for us to go as it allows us all to ride together. Zac and I can go back & forth or play on stuff at trail heads
5. Came home, mowed the rest of the lawn
6. Had D's family Sunday call
7. Had dinner with the crew, then took Julia back to her mom's
8. Went to Acme for milk
9. Came home and had one of these near-beers, for @jmanic

What I Learned

So what did I learn through this endeavor? It is this. Here is the secret which you should all come to terms with.

Being Amish sucks.

So long, and thanks for all the fish. See you when I see you.

Excellent series finale.

Day late, but not short. Best of luck with the new gig and thanks for the "Greatest Show above your earth"

Alrighty, we're back in the travel game. Between the last time we spoke and now, I went back and caught up on all the old travel blog posts I never got to. In all, I think I did 17. None of them are much to care about as 16 of the 17 cover trips to my previous job HQ.

Actually, that's not true. I never did share the post about our day in San Fran by bike. This was actually a great day. So of those 17 posts this is the best:
Cali Work Trip 2 – Doing San Francisco by Bike

But this past weekend @Dominique and I finally hit the road again, with @MissJR and @Santapez up to New Hampshire. Things are of course different. But in the end there is food, there are bikes, and there are friends. Hard to beat. With that, the travel blogging starts up after a brief hiatus:
New Hampshire Pandemic Bike Trip Day 1 – First Stop, Pine Hill

I have 4 more of these queued up over the next few days. Travel, of course, isn't going to ramp up anywhere near what it was. But we do have a family vacation planned for the end of the month. So we're making an effort to do something. Staring at the same 4 walls does start to add up.

9Qf9hjm.jpg

Ok second day of the NH trip finds us back in Vermont again today, and by "today" I mean last Saturday:
New Hampshire Pandemic Bike Trip Day 2 – Ascutney & the Quechee Gorge

I'm starting to come to terms with the reality that this heat is too much for me now. I used to be able to deal. Now, not so much. Also, recently, I'm starting to think that my lack of attention to bike nutrition is starting to hurt me. I am also getting old. This is life.

NonBVQW.jpg

Day 3 of the trip, almost stayed in NH the whole day today. Not quite, but close.
New Hampshire Pandemic Bike Trip Day 3 – Landmark Boston plus Dartmouth Coffee

We gambled on this park and kinda lost. Nothing special here. Nice lake though. That was a score. Unfortunately the Green Woodlands were closed to non-VT/NH residents so the whole reason we came here was a bust. Bummer.

Still a good day to jump in a lake and hang out in Hanover.

XPInCSW.jpg

Also from last weekend, the second part:
Catskills Bike & Camp – Day 2 Norbrook Brewery Trails

An interesting experiment in all. The bike-camp-bike thing is cool in theory, but the primitive camping can be sketchy if you can't find a spot. Also, the weekend would have been better if it weren't so GD hot. That said, what are we supposed to do in July & August? Stay inside?

Anyway, this past weekend we hit Graham Hills up in NY and Stephens today. I'm not going to go to deep into the electrolyte imbalance thing but I do think I have taken my nutrition for granted a bit this year. Also, it's time to face the music that I'm going to be half a century old soon (enough). To that end, I may need to start paying a little more attention to some of the details that are easy to overlook.

So we've ridden a lot of places this past month, with more to come this week as we're heading to Vermont on Wednesday. We did Stephens today and this park actually holds up pretty well to some of the places we've been. I really don't know how to navigate the park very well which is something I should really address I suppose.

Anyway, we embark on a 12 day, 11 night family vacation in Vermont & NH starting Wednesday. More posts coming soon enough.

JVjIfg3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom