The DIY thread - DIYourself

iman29

their blind attachment system saves on the labor side. It came out just after i did my trex....
2 kids heading to college in september. no can do.

we can revisit again next year when I post the same painting pics since i brought home extra paint to save a trip to Lowes next spring. :p

iman29

After I opened the pool last week I noticed the Mechanical timer in the basement wasn’t spinning to the on off cycle correctly. The part that’s supposed to spin seemed very loose even though the screw was all the way tight. I had just replaced this about 2 years ago after the previous one which lasted 15 years had the motor go bad.

upon further inspection I took off the timer dial and noticed the spot where the dial is supposed to be bonded to the center looked like it cracked but really it’s just made like crap and whatever glue they use separated.

broke out the gorilla gel glue and dabbed it all the way around the center of the dial. 15 minutes later it was fixed. New one of these runs around 50-60 bucks and I was even looking at a digital one for 100.

cost yesterday. $0. DIY at it’s best.

now time to go ride this morning.

CA0CEA47-F58A-4D9C-AB73-4F7E1F692CD8.jpeg77AA863E-834C-48DB-94F5-23BC7F1DCD7C.jpeg

jklett

Got a free compressor, suckered @Patrick into helping me get it home, then converted it to single phase. Couldn't find a motor with the same frame size so I had to make an adapter plate and get a new hub for the pulley. The starter is slightly undersized but it'll work until I can get a new one. I didn't put it where I originally wanted in the building but I'll live with it. Next project related to this will be plumbing a distribution system throughout the building. Now I can use my sandblaster, paint guns, airbrush, automotive air tools, and put an air motor on my hydraulic press.

It's amazing how one piece of equipment can transform a small workshop.

rlb

Shitter seal in the upstairs bathroom is leaking into the subfloor and subsequently ruining the ceiling below it. The ceiling below was tiled, because it's above the shower in the DS bathroom. So that means this has been going on a long time before I saw any signs of trouble. Subfloor is another story, getting insurance involved here. For now I'm just trying to stop the water leaking while maintaining the use of the upstairs bathroom.

1. What am I looking at on top (pics 2&3)? Seems like some sort of insertion on top of the closet flange? I can see the flange below, can I just pull the top piece off? Maybe it was part of the wax ring?
  2. The closet flange is not level. It looks like it may be a repair flange screwed into the floor. It's also embedded in thinset it seems. Am I asking for more trouble by just putting a new wax ring on top of the flange if it's not level?
  3. Any other advice?

Pic 1: Before removing the ring
IMG_20200530_101427.jpg

Pic 2: What is the top piece?
IMG_20200530_103150.jpg

Pic 3: Hard to see here, but the flange is higher on the right side
IMG_20200530_103155.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Shitter seal in the upstairs bathroom is leaking into the subfloor and subsequently ruining the ceiling below it. The ceiling below was tiled, because it's above the shower in the DS bathroom. So that means this has been going on a long time before I saw any signs of trouble. Subfloor is another story, getting insurance involved here. For now I'm just trying to stop the water leaking while maintaining the use of the upstairs bathroom.

1. What am I looking at on top (pics 2&3)? Seems like some sort of insertion on top of the closet flange? I can see the flange below, can I just pull the top piece off? Maybe it was part of the wax ring?
  2. The closet flange is not level. It looks like it may be a repair flange screwed into the floor. It's also embedded in thinset it seems. Am I asking for more trouble by just putting a new wax ring on top of the flange if it's not level?
  3. Any other advice?

Pic 1: Before removing the ring
View attachment 130161

Pic 2: What is the top piece?
View attachment 130162

Pic 3: Hard to see here, but the flange is higher on the right side
View attachment 130163

i think that is a lead closed flange - oatey makes a compression repair flange.
but it needs to be flush with the tile.

maybe try one of those super squishy new plastic flange seals?
level the WC with composite shims.

rlb

i think that is a lead closed flange

Yes I'm coming to the same conclusion. I thought it looked weird from below when I did the ceiling demo, almost like it was duct work. I have every type of gasket that HD sells (I was hell bent on not going back!) including the one you linked, I think I'm going to drop that in now and get it back up and running, then see how the rest plays out when I hear back from insurance on Monday. If I get the floor replaced I will have the bend and flange replaced too.

Top Bottom