The DIY thread - DIYourself

More of a DIH (Do It Herself), but I give my wife a 10+ as a first timer...
View attachment 129854
Just cut my own hair again for the 2nd time the other day during this shutdown and I realized that it doesn’t come out that bad. And I saved about $150 in haircuts between myself and my two younger boys the last 2 months.

on the other hand it doesn’t help the hair stylist shop or the economy if I stop showing up for good after this is over. But in a pinch I can at least do a trim on my own now. Thanks youtube.

Just cut my own hair again for the 2nd time the other day during this shutdown and I realized that it doesn’t come out that bad. And I saved about $150 in haircuts between myself and my two younger boys the last 2 months.

on the other hand it doesn’t help the hair stylist shop or the economy if I stop showing up for good after this is over. But in a pinch I can at least do a trim on my own now. Thanks youtube.

I used to cut my own hair as well until I got engaged, then she thought it was too 'severe'...I'm glad it's Ok now that she does it, apparently it's a lot of fun...

Phase 1 of home network expansion was to relocate the Optimum modem and WiFi router into my sons room since the coax main line runs along the wall into my room Anyway. Years ago his room was my office so after he was born I just added coax and poked a small hole in the wall to send into my room. WiFi overload and coverage issues now mean I need the WiFi router in a more central place in the house.

I didn’t take too many pictures but basically we pulled the coax back thru and hid the modem on top of a bookshelf. Then we routed some new Cat6 Ethernet cables along the floor behind the bed and up the wall to connect to the WiFi router above his door.

He was very proud of his Velcro /zip tie solution to mount the router to the ceiling and still allow enough space for the cables in the back.

this already solved the first problem since now the main Smart TV on the other side of the house works much better with Netflix.

phase 2 will be Adding a second router as an access point that I got for free from @ilnadi

This will be much more of a PITA since I will connect an Ethernet cable run through the ceiling and into the small attic space and down to the basement so I can send the cable into the family room for the video game consoles. Second router be in family room and will add coverage to the basement (better Zwift Connection when I need it) and hardwire ports for all the consoles.

coronavirus projects seem to be adding up.

557EE7BC-3309-43A8-80C3-9FDC9A5B0E2D.jpeg

Not really DIY but anyone have a recommendation for a good exterminator in Morris County area that wont rip me off and claim I need $10,000 of service and repairs?

I don't climb up ladders anymore and we have sawdust raining down from the damn carpenter bees I need to get it under control.

thanks.

Not really DIY but anyone have a recommendation for a good exterminator in Morris County area that wont rip me off and claim I need $10,000 of service and repairs?

I don't climb up ladders anymore and we have sawdust raining down from the damn carpenter bees I need to get it under control.

thanks.

get a pole sprayer, and send them to gad.

thanks.
Have been using Permakill for years reliable, honest and reasonable

The annual “I’m gonna paint the deck with solid stain cause I can’t afford to replace the whole deck” event. It only feels like summer here once this is done.

Now I can setup the deck furniture and pop up canopy and enjoy some outdoor mornings especially working from home.

781E6EC5-9358-4328-8E2D-A0076D6B4A08.jpeg433D04F3-3E21-4EF2-BFE9-971D903E1990.jpegA95B5D20-ACE9-49C9-B556-222AB6AB5E3B.jpeg

The annual “I’m gonna paint the deck with solid stain cause I can’t afford to replace the whole deck” event. It only feels like summer here once this is done.

Now I can setup the deck furniture and pop up canopy and enjoy some outdoor mornings especially working from home.

View attachment 129956View attachment 129957View attachment 129958
Valspar doesn't hold up like the behr paint. you should take a sander to the deck next year... or if you're looking for a fresh look, take the boards and flip them over!

Valspar doesn't hold up like the behr paint. you should take a sander to the deck next year... or if you're looking for a fresh look, take the boards and flip them over!
I know - i went the cheap route because to me its a seasonal solution every year anyway and i just need to to last until about Sept/Oct when we pack everything up. There are so many coats of paint on the deck it would take a long time to sand it and the boards are crap underneath anyway.

I flipped a few boards over already due to too many splinters and it was a huge pain in the ass because the deck is built like crap and the boards are all expanded too close together.

The deck really needs FIRE but its too close to the house.

I know - i went the cheap route because to me its a seasonal solution every year anyway and i just need to to last until about Sept/Oct when we pack everything up. There are so many coats of paint on the deck it would take a long time to sand it and the boards are crap underneath anyway.

I flipped a few boards over already due to too many splinters and it was a huge pain in the ass because the deck is built like crap and the boards are all expanded too close together.

The answer is timbertech.
1590679491186.png

Current project, replace the thermal switch on the dryer. Had to take the whole thing apart. Got a good vacuuming in the process. Pretty easy with how to videos. View attachment 130000
Nice ! I had an issue with our 20 year old washing machine and used YouTube to diagnose the motor coupler was stripped. Cheap rubber part wore out. I ordered the parts and replaced it myself. Repair estimate was $150 just to look at it. I paid $25 for parts and it took me an hour. That was 10 years ago it still runs fine. Not sure I would be brave enough with the dryer because of the gas lines etc.

Nice ! I had an issue with our 20 year old washing machine and used YouTube to diagnose the motor coupler was stripped. Cheap rubber part wore out. I ordered the parts and replaced it myself. Repair estimate was $150 just to look at it. I paid $25 for parts and it took me an hour. That was 10 years ago it still runs fine. Not sure I would be brave enough with the dryer because of the gas lines etc.
Just the thermal fuse. Not disconnecting any gas lines. $15 dollar part and a 10 min trip to the store to buy it.

Power wash it I have been using mine to take paint off of everything

I had my deck power washed and it kinda kills the boards. They get dried out and splintered.
this^^^ I originally started powerwashing when I bought the house 18 years ago and the first few boards were splintering and shredding so I stopped.

Back
Top Bottom