This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Mahnken

A lot of places are but hospitals are kind of the place that's going to get all the business. For the hospital to be playing low census bullshit is insane and they're firing everyone who isn't full time is so fucking insulting.

If businesses can make money and get another bailout why can't nurses who have leverage. Corporations don't care if you have to get food on the table why should we care about their profit margins. You thing the chief diversity officer of hospitals are out their in an essential role? How bout the chief marketing officer? Aside for sending emails that say stay off of social media or we'll can your ass, their feet are riding high on their couch at home while actual the managers are presenting their annual performance raise that was handed to them before this as a bonus for covid. Fuck that noise.

Airlines are going to cut salaries when the stim says not to, and the money in the package for hospitals are going to be rolled into performance bonuses since they can't spend it on supplies that aren't available.

I'm so fucking angry, how the hell is it excusable that my wife had to do her own fucking fit test for an n95 on fucking YouTube this week because the person responsible for doing her units fit test has been on vacation for 2 weeks.

Atlantic health is a fucking joke and the sad thing is they're most likely above average, and most other hospitals.
It's infuriating. All the hospitals are a joke nowadays.

chris12453

Did anyone read the article where research says the virus is airborne. Did anyone actually think it wasn't airborne to spread as fast as it has? The further the issue, a lot of people are in recycled air systems...... I looked up some swine flu statistics from back in 2009. We are talking 60.8 million US citizens infected and 12,500 deaths in the US alone. I don't remember any of this in 09 nor do I remember such a mass panic. Oh that's because social media wasn't really a thing then. I just went to work and did my thing inhaling asbestos and chromium and whatever else I was breathing working in oil terminals down in Linden, Bayonne and Carteret. This is not to make light of the pandemic at all, as I mentioned in a previous post, I have to worry about myself and other family members who have MS. I fortunately MS, but, do not have a compromised immune system (yes contradictory to auto immune conditions) and my doc's have no idea why, nor do I get sick. My other family members do however, so I am concerned for their well being.

I have been trying to watch things on the news, read some articles but I keep coming up with the same theory, how dumb are we really?

68nova200

Did anyone read the article where research says the virus is airborne. Did anyone actually think it wasn't airborne to spread as fast as it has? The further the issue, a lot of people are in recycled air systems...... I looked up some swine flu statistics from back in 2009. We are talking 60.8 million US citizens infected and 12,500 deaths in the US alone. I don't remember any of this in 09 nor do I remember such a mass panic. Oh that's because social media wasn't really a thing then. I just went to work and did my thing inhaling asbestos and chromium and whatever else I was breathing working in oil terminals down in Linden, Bayonne and Carteret. This is not to make light of the pandemic at all, as I mentioned in a previous post, I have to worry about myself and other family members who have MS. I fortunately MS, but, do not have a compromised immune system (yes contradictory to auto immune conditions) and my doc's have no idea why, nor do I get sick. My other family members do however, so I am concerned for their well being.

I have been trying to watch things on the news, read some articles but I keep coming up with the same theory, how dumb are we really?
I've said this early on... the media has so much control these days. this whole thing is just to see how much power they can take. Yes people are getting sick. But swine flu was far worse than this virus. I had it, couldn't move for 2 weeks. Lost about 30 pounds then took 2 more weeks to get back to 50% of normal.

Mahnken

Did the swine flu wreak havoc on our hospital systems the way this is?
Do you do work at IMTT in Bayonne? I used to work on their HVAC equipment years ago

Mahnken

I've said this early on... the media has so much control these days. this whole thing is just to see how much power they can take. Yes people are getting sick. But swine flu was far worse than this virus. I had it, couldn't move for 2 weeks. Lost about 30 pounds then took 2 more weeks to get back to 50% of normal.
But were you in a hospital? On a ventilator?

68nova200

But were you in a hospital? On a ventilator?
No, but probably should have been in the hopsital at least. hospitals are overwhelmed right now because funding has been cut across the board over the last few years. NY governor admitted that he was stockpiling ventiliators in an NJ warehouse which caused the "shortage" I'm not going to send links to these facts because they are easily searched. But seems people only want to hear the doom and gloom and blame it all on the president these days. this whole thing has been purely political since day one.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep

So you think all the hospitals complaining in NYC is just media hype?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Stay safe! You have a ton going on above many of of us.

a mortality rate of 1 on 5,000 is much different that 1 on 100.
also that was spread over a season. I do remember worrying about my 9yo, and washing hands.
the school was asking that kids be kept home if there are any signs..
(symptoms appeared next day)
It was also a flu - they know how to make vaccines and treatment protocols.

on the airborne thing - a sneeze puts a bunch of airborne particles out -
take a look - i was watching/reading this last night.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

60 million infected and 12,500 deaths??? We're at 190 thousand and 4,000 deaths... And it's the thousands of others that will need intensive medical care that are overwhelming they system...

Mahnken

No, but probably should have been in the hopsital at least. hospitals are overwhelmed right now because funding has been cut across the board over the last few years. NY governor admitted that he was stockpiling ventiliators in an NJ warehouse which caused the "shortage" I'm not going to send links to these facts because they are easily searched. But seems people only want to hear the doom and gloom and blame it all on the president these days. this whole thing has been purely political since day one.
Why would you not store the ventilators until the need arose? Would you rather send them out before they are needed so that you end up with some hospitals that have more than they need and other hospitals that don't have enough?
Just read through the president's tweets and you can easily see that he didn't take this seriously until it was basically too late. Didn't get even say in his briefing yesterday that he got off to a delayed start?
The doom and gloom isn't media hype. I know doctors and nurses in the hardest hit hospitals and this is real. The people calling it media hype are insulting.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Point the finger where ever you want but fact remains... Ppl are getting sick and some are dying. We are in short supply of PPE and ventilators and more will die. We were ill prepared and we are paying for it as a result. You make your own conclusion.

Patrick

Staff member
I think there was a "hoping for the best" - but they missed on "Plan for the worst"

go back to the beginning of this thread and get a feel for the urgency of the situation.
it reflects what i saw/heard from many people. quoting numbers from H1N1, and
TB (TB killed 1.5M worldwide in 2018 - so what, imagine how many it would kill if there wasn't a vaccine?,)
like this is no big deal - even some of the health care people i know made the same assumptions.

Sometime back in September 2018, i bet only 200,000 people had the flu - and 6 months later it ended up at 60M.
if i do the math, H1N1 probably doubled every 2 weeks. Before mitigation, CV19 was doubling every 3-4 days.
Resolving in a week, not 3.

It wasn't until the stories out of Italy that it started to hit. Even then we were slow to mobilize.

i don't think this was avoidable. There would be no way to lock down without the media
covering packed hospitals, and death. The miss was that there could have been more prep.
Equipment for hospitals/people, alternate bed space, protocol, testing readiness.
And the description of how this "could go"

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Im sorry, but there was NO WAY hospitals were not going to run low on ventilators...I mean unless you can say they knew what today was going to be like about a year ago.....Ventilators are not microwave ovens...They are complicated machines made by only a handful of companies...they were never intended to be pumped out like honda civics. They are REALLY expensive and you dont spend money buying them to store them in a warehouse. They have maintenance schedule and certifications, so just having them sit costs money.....I know everyone want to blame everyone when we run low on something, but when the demand goes from ~10,000 to possibly in the hunders of thousands in a matter of weeks, things are going to run out. I hope people remember this when they are screaming about how much money their health insurance costs....you think stockpiling 50,000 ventilators will bring costs down?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also, to steal something else that someone just texted me, do you guys think ventilators are like microwaves? That these orgs can afford to have 500 of them on stand-by to use as-needed?

Edit - see above for the source of the text.

The last startup that I was involved in was a CMMS for medical equipment. Those of you in the hospital systems would know it as the Clinical Engineering area of the hospital - basically the people in the basement. The cost of medical equipment is staggering. The sheer amounts of dollars put into equipment is hard to fathom. These are pieces of equipment that literally cannot fail. It's not like software that gets rolled out where, if it goes down, you just patch it. Also, the maintenance of the equipment is a massive, I mean massive, cost to the org. You've got huge lists of procedures to do on a monthly basis per technician. Also, the documentation & testing of this stuff by the manufacturer is not like a washing machine or a paid of bluetooth headphones. You don't plug it in and hope it works out.

"Building in fault tolerance" is like saying "we should cure cancer."

Patrick

Staff member
Im sorry, but there was NO WAY hospitals were not going to run low on ventilators...I mean unless you can say they knew what today was going to be like about a year ago.....Ventilators are not microwave ovens...They are complicated machines made by only a handful of companies...they were never intended to be pumped out like honda civics. They are REALLY expensive and you dont spend money buying them to store them in a warehouse. They have maintenance schedule and certifications, so just having them sit costs money.....I know everyone want to blame everyone when we run low on something, but when the demand goes from ~10,000 to possibly in the hunders of thousands in a matter of weeks, things are going to run out. I hope people remember this when they are screaming about how much money their health insurance costs....you think stockpiling 50,000 ventilators will bring costs down?

I saw some of the hospitals were experimenting with dual-porting them.
They are built to last forever - we could use a version that is built to last a year - or even a month - or disposable (well partially, maybe keep the motor/controller?)
equipment failure is the realm of lawyers and such. a few 1-way valves and bellows can't be that tough.

Top Bottom