This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Encouraging early data from France on treatment with hydroxychloroquine +/- azithromycine: 1291 patients on the treatment, 1 death:

https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/covid-19/
A ICU nurse friend of mine said they are using that mixture right now. One of the patients taking it coded and died a couple days ago. He had one shift last week that had 5 covid-19 patients die. His friend in New York had 20 die in one shift. Says he's never seen anything like it, it's a revolving door of covid-19 with more death than he ever thought he would see. And had plenty of younger healthy people on his unit as well. It's taking a huge mental toll on the healthcare staff. My sister sent three nurses home after having panic attacks where she works.

Great time to be a nurse right now (any essential employee really), underpaid, underappreciated, and now scared to even walk through the doors.

look what happened to me Antonio..
in 2019...from March,first i Broke my leg
i came back stronger,,then in september still in 2019 i lost almost everything i had built in USA
i was kicked out from this country,my only crime was Overstayed my visa,,no crime whatsoever,infact i was just riding my bikes?

now,March 2020
Corona virus Pandemic

what next??
bring it on???? it can't get any better than those two unfortunate and unforgettable events in my life,

so,my friend
if your time hasn't come yet,or lucifer hasn't appear in your dreams just yet
don't you worry,just keep washing those hand and don't pick your nose??

some peoples in different part of the world aren't so lucky as yours,so take that as consideration

cheers my friend
salud to your health?
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Your work at high mountain is incredible. Where are you living now?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Your work at high mountain is incredible. Where are you living now?

He may not answer this for a week, so I will answer that he is now living in Jakarta, Indonesia. Or thereabouts.

look what happened to me Antonio..
in 2019...from March,first i Broke my leg
i came back stronger,,then in september still in 2019 i lost almost everything i had built in USA
i was kicked out from this country,my only crime was Overstayed my visa,,no crime whatsoever,infact i was just riding my bikes?

now,March 2020
Corona virus Pandemic

what next??
bring it on???? it can't get any better than those two unfortunate and unforgettable events in my life,

so,my friend
if your time hasn't come yet,or lucifer hasn't appear in your dreams just yet
don't you worry,just keep washing those hand and don't pick your nose??

some peoples in different part of the world aren't so lucky as yours,so take that as consideration

cheers my friend
salud to your health?
Thanks buddy. I appreciate the message. I am very fortunate for sure. I miss seeing you out on the trails.

Great time to be a nurse right now (any essential employee really), underpaid, underappreciated, and now scared to even walk through the doors.
I do feel compelled to comment whenever I read this kind of stuff....and im not trying to dismiss what you're saying. But when non medical people hear that medical professionals are scared, it makes them scared. So I at least feel compelled to point out that my wife and her coworkers at morristowns ER do not feel this way. Her and her friends that she regularly works with at least (not speaking for everyone there of course) are not scared or panicked. As my wife likes to point out to me when I like to bust on her..."are you scared/panicked yet? how about now?"...."If I wasnt panicked when my ER was full of sick kids then a bus accident happened and 30 injured ones showed up...im not going to panic over this...or swine flu, or bird flu, or sars, or h1n1 or ebola...this is what we do everyday and we do not panic."

We watched 60min last night and there was a segment with a nurse who was crying and saying how she was scared to do her job.....while its understandable, my wife was like: "well I hope people don't think we ALL feel this way"

In all fairness @UtahJoe - you can't catch bus accident, and bring it home to your family.

Sure a little PTSD, but can know you saved every life that you could during that accident, and comforted those in need,
is a completely different monster. I had a friend leave morristown PICU a year ago. She decided to go PA route.
Her whole take on this revolves around the shortage of PPE, and protocol.
She was not scared, or hesitant to jump in, it is her life's calling. But not having the supplies needed when we had a 2+ month lead on this
happening is the inexcusable part.

I saw the one about the nurses falling apart because people were dying. they aren't accustom to that.
many have the 'not on my shift' attitude. They will need some counseling after this - certainly we owe them that.
I think we are asking non-er nurses to do things they have not experienced.
A couple i know are highly trained watchdogs - can hold the fort until the cavalry arrives.

I do feel compelled to comment whenever I read this kind of stuff....and im not trying to dismiss what you're saying. But when non medical people hear that medical professionals are scared, it makes them scared. So I at least feel compelled to point out that my wife and her coworkers at morristowns ER do not feel this way. Her and her friends that she regularly works with at least (not speaking for everyone there of course) are not scared or panicked. As my wife likes to point out to me when I like to bust on her..."are you scared/panicked yet? how about now?"...."If I wasnt panicked when my ER was full of sick kids then a bus accident happened and 30 injured ones showed up...im not going to panic over this...or swine flu, or bird flu, or sars, or h1n1 or ebola...this is what we do everyday and we do not panic."

We watched 60min last night and there was a segment with a nurse who was crying and saying how she was scared to do her job.....while its understandable, my wife was like: "well I hope people don't think we ALL feel this way"
My wife me made turn off 60 minutes last night. She was not entertained by the tears or the portrayal of nurses breaking down or freaking out. She is a CNS in the oncology field and a nursing educator who has spent her whole career working in NYC. Today she spent time in the ER alongside many other RN’s and in her words witnessed “ people doing their jobs with professionalism, empathy and passion”. No tears, no histrionics and no paralyzing fear while surrounded by controlled chaos.
We need to kill our TV’s

Last edited:

I couldnt have said it better. Having a Respiratory wife who gets to do breathing treatments ( go look that up) on these patients is enough to make anyone cry. My wife for many years is the one who comes into the room typically with the whole family present to shut down the last resort of keeping that loved one alive. Shes cried with those family members because the pain is real, she realize long ago that death is part of the job requirements. Want to see heartbreak is when 20 something is taken off life support for an overdose which has been much too often the last couple years. Her concern is to not bring this home and has changed her routine how to be most sanitized before opening the door. Her biggest complaint having to be masked all day and dressing like a robot 12 times a day.

I couldnt have said it better. Having a Respiratory wife who gets to do breathing treatments ( go look that up) on these patients is enough to make anyone cry. My wife for many years is the one who comes into the room typically with the whole family present to shut down the last resort of keeping that loved one alive. Shes cried with those family members because the pain is real, she realize long ago that death is part of the job requirements. Want to see heartbreak is when 20 something is taken off life support for an overdose which has been much too often the last couple years. Her concern is to not bring this home and has changed her routine how to be most sanitized before opening the door. Her biggest complaint having to be masked all day and dressing like a robot 12 times a day.
And Allison has said to me many times regarding what your wife does..."that is a really hard job, I wouldn't want to do it"

In all fairness @UtahJoe - you can't catch bus accident, and bring it home to your family.

Sure a little PTSD, but can know you saved every life that you could during that accident, and comforted those in need,
is a completely different monster. I had a friend leave morristown PICU a year ago. She decided to go PA route.
Her whole take on this revolves around the shortage of PPE, and protocol.
She was not scared, or hesitant to jump in, it is her life's calling. But not having the supplies needed when we had a 2+ month lead on this
happening is the inexcusable part.

I saw the one about the nurses falling apart because people were dying. they aren't accustom to that.
many have the 'not on my shift' attitude. They will need some counseling after this - certainly we owe them that.
I think we are asking non-er nurses to do things they have not experienced.
A couple i know are highly trained watchdogs - can hold the fort until the cavalry arrives.
Now thats fair, my wife has also pointed out to me...."in the ER, this is what we do, but not every nurse on every floor is used to what we are used to. My wife has told me countless stories over the years in which i feel like I have PTSD just from hearing.....very very tragic things that I cant even un-think about hearing and I wasnt even there to see anything. Usually when people ask me about my wife's work, its more about being concerned how she deals with the tragedy and the awfulness at times....and ill be the first one to admit that i dont know how she, or Mattys wife or the rest of them do it. But this current situation is different in that people are asking her how she is dealing with fear/panic doing her job and I can tell you that its not a feeling that she has ever associated with her job. Stress..100%...aggravation....sadness at times......but not fear or panic. Its just funny in that my wife is a very soft spoken hippy, but if you mention panic in the ER, she pops up like General Patton..WE DO NOT PANIC IN THE ER! EVER!

As far as the PPE...at least in morristown in her unit they are doing ok on that front....shes wearing 1 N95 mask per shift and wearing a surgical mask over that that gets changed out out alot. It at least sounds better than what some hospitals are dealing with. But ya, when this is all over, there will be a huge investigation the results of which will be that we will be able to pave rt80 with N95 masks from now on. Like mattys wife...she works her whole shift and the only thing she is complaining about is the mask is too tight and is leaving marks on her face.

She is taking whatever precautions she can not to get the whole house infected, but shes not obsessing on it much.

I just really wanted to point out that yes, this situation totally blows....and it will probably get worse....but there are people out there who were put on this planet for times like these...they are professionals and they can handle pressure.

I worked in an ED in Brooklyn today. I work exclusively in hospitals but we’ve only been responding to emergency calls and staying away from patient areas. Been pretty busy with hospitals opening unused areas or converting areas to patient areas.
Seeing the carnage firsthand was alarming. I’ve been in some busy EDs but this was wild. Wall to wall people on either o2 or ventilators. I saw one woman who was dead on a stretcher in the hallway. No sheet, just wide eyed and dead. They have a refrigerated semi trailer outside where they are putting the bodies. IMO this is the week where things hit the fan in hospitals. Doesn’t matter how many ventilators they get the infrastructure won’t support much more. One doctor I talked to was wild eyed and frenetic. He looked a day away from
A breakdown.

I worked in an ED in Brooklyn today. I work exclusively in hospitals but we’ve only been responding to emergency calls and staying away from patient areas. Been pretty busy with hospitals opening unused areas or converting areas to patient areas.
Seeing the carnage firsthand was alarming. I’ve been in some busy EDs but this was wild. Wall to wall people on either o2 or ventilators. I saw one woman who was dead on a stretcher in the hallway. No sheet, just wide eyed and dead. They have a refrigerated semi trailer outside where they are putting the bodies. IMO this is the week where things hit the fan in hospitals. Doesn’t matter how many ventilators they get the infrastructure won’t support much more. One doctor I talked to was wild eyed and frenetic. He looked a day away from
A breakdown.
I was going to say something like this. NJ hospitals are not where NYC hospitals are yet. NYC is worse off than Italy was and 1 in 9 with the disease is dying. On my drive into work. last week I saw a temp hospital set up off route 22 in Hillside area. This is not normal. They said on Bloomberg this morning that the peak is only two weeks away. There are a lot of sick people in NYC and not a lot of beds. How did Washington and Minnesota up the recovery rate so fast?

Legit question, why can't they transport some of these patients to places that are not as badly hit? It seems like some areas of NJ and PA are close enough to be viable, no?

Back
Top Bottom