What have you done to your bike today?

Technically I did it yesterday, but I finally reworked my trialsy dirt jumper.

Found an old crank arm on ebay for $8 for donor parts which sorted my crankeset dilemma. with the replacement chainring tab, I ws ble to fit a wolftooth ring for up front. Got an NOS shimano BMX ring out back. Ditched the derailleur I had been using as a tensioner and picked up an actual chain tensioner instead. Swapped an XT jockey wheel onto the tensioner to make it spin better. Replaced the sloppy worn out BB. Ditched the knobbies for some Maxxis BMX treads. Serviced the ring drive which I have neglected for years. Threw on a different seat.

The thing feels fantastic! Now I am ready for some more pump track / BMX track laps with my daughter.

IMG_1743.jpg

I must have missed that Jamis had multi pivots. How do you like the 3vo?

It's honestly one of best suspension platforms I've ridden. Pedals super well, no bobbing at all even out of the saddle. At the same time it's supple over bumps. Feels like the bike knows the difference between pedal forces and bump forces. Pretty ideal actually.

Nothing like a worn out Racing Ralph as a rear tire to make you reassess your prowess as a NNJ mountain biker. Swapped that crap out for a new Maxxis Tomahawk 3C DD tonight and the HT is ready to rip again. Never tried this tire before but looks decent. Bonus points for finally figuring out the right method for getting the gas station compressor to seat a tubeless tire fast.

Broke two spokes on the 27.5 rear wheel of my fatbike while goofing around in front of the house.

Given the quarantine situation, and the fact that I might only have one non-studded 26” fat tire around, This bike may be rocking a fat mullet setup in the near future. 26x4.4 jumbo jim out back and a 27.5x3.8 Hodag up front.

I kind of wanted to try that anyway. Seems like I got a perfect excuse to give it a go.

Aesthetically it looks odd. Kind of like a dragster. However the outside diameter of the tires mounted is almost spot on. JJ might be 1/4” taller. Will see how it rides.

I found an old Dillinger D5 in the basement. I guess if I don’t like the mullet setup I could run the D5 up front, but I’ve never used that tire in anything but snow so not sure how it will perform on snow-free trails.

In theory I like this setup though. Beefier tire out back should give a little extra cushion to soften the ride, but up front I have suspension so no need. It looks dopey though, and we’ll see how it actually performs. I should probably just buy another JJ.
2FBABFA7-C3B7-4CFF-AF62-3419E5CF52BC.jpeg

A617D73E-0CCE-4909-B588-2F0CEEB2AB54.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom