Wet weather trails

Cutting

Hi everyone,

I’m getting back into mountain biking after a five year break. When I last rode, I lived in Australia where there was zero rain for 51 weeks of the year. I never had to worry about trail conditions

I've been reading through the threads on this site and the common theme I see is that riders on muddy trails is a problem. It sounds like there are whole trail systems (6 mile, Nassau, chimney rock (all close to me)) that are basically off limits until the summer. As someone who wants to do the right thing, I find it difficult to figure out exactly which trails are acceptable to ride.

For example, if you look at trail forks, chimney rock trails are all open. But when I asked about conditions on the Chimney rock trail forum I was advised to steer clear. If you look at 6 mile on trail forks, all the trails are closed. So I think someone could reasonably believe that Chimney rock is acceptable to ride when it's not.

This leads me to a few questions:

1. What is the best resource to determine trail status? (I believe that it is this site)
2. Can someone please provide me with a master list of bomb proof trails that hold up well to rain
3. Are there any flowy trails that drain well? I am a bit saddle sore after all the rocks at wildcat this past weekend. (hartshorne?)

Thanks!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are there any flowy trails that drain well? I am a bit saddle sore after all the rocks at wildcat this past weekend.

What trails did you ride at Wildcat? Some of the less rocky trails drain very well, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them flowy trails.

Cutting

Orleand and yellow wild cat to the reservoir. Just an out and back. I wanted to go further but my phone was running out of battery with the cold weather and it feels like an easy place to get lost.

Cutting

1. Round Valley
2. Round Valley
3. Allaire, usually, but stay above the Manasquan River.
4. All the not yet legal trails

I’ll try round valley soon. It looks fun but a ton of climbing. I think I need a few more rides to get my lungs in shape first

pygmypony

there is some pretty good flow at hartshorne that drains reasonably well...you've hit the nail on the head in terms of gauging various trail "rideability"...it's far from an exact science. the good news, you've come to the right place...if you are interested in riding on any given weekend, pick a place you might be interested in, go to that forum on this site, and post up a question about the conditions...you will usually get a prompt, and generally accurate/honest response. there's also trial and error, in that, you may have to endure a few aborted rides to see for yourself how some trail systems drain after a big rain event, etc...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Welcome!

The Round Valley/Cushetunk are always good. Don't be fooled by the mud puddle in the Cush parking lot, where
I like starting. Make the Z climb (see strava) and hike over the ridge. Drop down to red, turn left.
keep going until you are half out of gas and turn around :D Friendly tours available!

Top Bottom