My path to en"light"enment

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Where's the nearest fireworks factory?

it burned down - twice.

1582465109713.png

jklett

@Paul H posted a video on the corona thread that got me thinking. Do I suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect? I don't think I'm an overly stupid person but maybe I really am and just don't realize it. I mean, I do know some things but I'll freely admit what I don't know and I'm always wanting and willing to learn. I do have strong beliefs in certain things but I will listen to the other side and I have changed my mind on occasion (meaning that I won't automatically dismiss opposing views). I'm always trying to share whatever knowledge I have but perhaps there's really nothing there worth sharing. Maybe this is simply an existential crisis brought on by my lack of understanding that the only question that I truly belong asking is "would you like fries with that"?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@Paul H posted a video on the corona thread that got me thinking. Do I suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect? I don't think I'm an overly stupid person but maybe I really am and just don't realize it. I mean, I do know some things but I'll freely admit what I don't know and I'm always wanting and willing to learn. I do have strong beliefs in certain things but I will listen to the other side and I have changed my mind on occasion (meaning that I won't automatically dismiss opposing views). I'm always trying to share whatever knowledge I have but perhaps there's really nothing there worth sharing. Maybe this is simply an existential crisis brought on by my lack of understanding that the only question that I truly belong asking is "would you like fries with that"?
Dude... we had this conversation!
Maybe too many beers that day LOL

RobW

As to my job, in a nutshell I am/was the production manager/machinist/maintenance guy/technician/assembler for a small electronics manufacturing company. I did everything short of the finances there from inventory, parts acquisition, shipping and receiving, troubleshooting and repair of the machinery, employee training, I could go on and on. I started as an assembler and worked my way up. I've rebuilt some of the equipment there and I program, operate, maintain and repair the surface mount pick and place machine. Hell, I even rebuilt the engine and carburators of the original owner's triumph once when we were slow.
what type of machinery? we have some packaging machinery here in Cranbury. send me your resume and ill see where we can fit you in if at all. I mean, if you want work to keep you busy, I can fit you into something if you'd like... pay isn't great here but I understand idle hands become problematic to the soul.

GTCHAMPION1

Just got to read your first post of this thread, definitely an inspirational story. Pretty much told you the other day of my downfall, maybe I was started to get depressed or anxiety, either way I was taking the wrong path to temporarily avoid getting all the negativity in my mind. I used to be very athletic untill I was 33 and always had a passion for bikes. But now I am out of shape and my goal is to be able to complete miles of riding and to regain confidence to ride rocky steep sections again. Thank you for sharing your story and also thanks to you guys I am motivated to finally be back on the trails. Once again... Thank you!

jklett

I figure I should update this thread once in a while so here goes.

The job front got better in August of 2020 with a lead maintenance mechanic job with a 3rd party contracted at an Amazon. The nature of that beast put a serious damper on any riding or working out since I'm shot by the time I would get home(supposed to be 10 hour shifts but it rarely worked out that way and 12s are commonplace). Needless to say my cardiovascular fitness went a bit south with that. I was still riding somewhat regularly though so it wasn't too bad. I also started brewing beer so that didn't help the cause but again, things were still not too bad.

Fast forward to December of 2021 and my whole family wound up with Covid. It hit me in a strange way though, any time I would raise my heart rate I would get chest pains so I basically stopped riding altogether. I also started getting short duration heart palpitations but they never amounted to anything. That brought on a pretty long bought of depression(and drinking more than I should) and an even further drop in my fitness to the point where I felt like I did when I first started. My weight jumped up a little but never really strayed too far from the 200# mark. A few weeks ago, I was trying to fall asleep and got severe palpitations and my arms, legs, and face went numb. Hello ER, it's been a while. New insurance so I quickly got a new primary, went for a physical, and they referred me to a cardiologist. He set me up with a Holter monitor for a month(itches like hell but at least professionals are keeping an eye on me) and I have a stress test coming after that comes off. I asked him what I should avoid as far as exercise and he said do whatever you want but if it causes heart pain, stop. OK, I could've figured that one out but at least I am cleared to try again. No diagnosis until all the test results are in but my blood pressure is consistently on the high side so I will have to bring that down somehow regardless of anything else.

So last week I did what I felt was a moderate effort at 6 mile(my heart rate said otherwise) but no issues afterwards so I'm working my way back. At least my bike handling is still there. I also just renewed my trainerroad subscription and did a ramp test today. I'm down to 150 watts but I'm good with that for now. I plan on doing some rides coming up, I'm just making sure they're places I know we'll enough that if I have to drop off I can get back OK. I'll get back to where I was, it'll just take time and I'm not going to be pushing myself until I know for sure what's going on with my heart.

I'll update as I have more to say but that's where I am at the moment. Not great but I have to play the hand I've been dealt so let's see how well I can make it work. Hold my beer...

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
After seeing you ride this past saturday... I am leaning towards stress induced.... cuz you know I hold a doctorate in quackology. But all the same... ease into it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just sat down and took the time to read this properly. I don't know you well at all, but what I do know of you, you're a really, genuinely good, dude. I would hate to see you fall into more of a black hole. Going to the doctor to sort that stuff is smart, so good on you for that.

Some thing you know are going to help you (ride bike more) and other things not (beer, shitty food). You know this, we all do, it's just that sometimes we opt to let it slide. A slide becomes a fall becomes an avalanche and before long, old guys like us, we have a lot more trouble getting back up & out of that hole.

You'll need to make the good choices and avoid the bad ones on your own. Nobody else can do that for you. That's another thing you know but sometimes it's good to hear someone else say it. So I'll say it. Snap out of it and make the choices that you know you need to make. Everyone around you will be happy for you on that front. I agree that you should ease into it, but do so persistently. Just keep at it and sooner than later you'll get back where you want to be, so long as you persist.

Good luck. Bunch of us are here if you need support.

iman29

I figure I should update this thread once in a while so here goes.

The job front got better in August of 2020 with a lead maintenance mechanic job with a 3rd party contracted at an Amazon. The nature of that beast put a serious damper on any riding or working out since I'm shot by the time I would get home(supposed to be 10 hour shifts but it rarely worked out that way and 12s are commonplace). Needless to say my cardiovascular fitness went a bit south with that. I was still riding somewhat regularly though so it wasn't too bad. I also started brewing beer so that didn't help the cause but again, things were still not too bad.

Fast forward to December of 2021 and my whole family wound up with Covid. It hit me in a strange way though, any time I would raise my heart rate I would get chest pains so I basically stopped riding altogether. I also started getting short duration heart palpitations but they never amounted to anything. That brought on a pretty long bought of depression(and drinking more than I should) and an even further drop in my fitness to the point where I felt like I did when I first started. My weight jumped up a little but never really strayed too far from the 200# mark. A few weeks ago, I was trying to fall asleep and got severe palpitations and my arms, legs, and face went numb. Hello ER, it's been a while. New insurance so I quickly got a new primary, went for a physical, and they referred me to a cardiologist. He set me up with a Holter monitor for a month(itches like hell but at least professionals are keeping an eye on me) and I have a stress test coming after that comes off. I asked him what I should avoid as far as exercise and he said do whatever you want but if it causes heart pain, stop. OK, I could've figured that one out but at least I am cleared to try again. No diagnosis until all the test results are in but my blood pressure is consistently on the high side so I will have to bring that down somehow regardless of anything else.

So last week I did what I felt was a moderate effort at 6 mile(my heart rate said otherwise) but no issues afterwards so I'm working my way back. At least my bike handling is still there. I also just renewed my trainerroad subscription and did a ramp test today. I'm down to 150 watts but I'm good with that for now. I plan on doing some rides coming up, I'm just making sure they're places I know we'll enough that if I have to drop off I can get back OK. I'll get back to where I was, it'll just take time and I'm not going to be pushing myself until I know for sure what's going on with my heart.

I'll update as I have more to say but that's where I am at the moment. Not great but I have to play the hand I've been dealt so let's see how well I can make it work. Hold my beer...
Dude! Good to see you back and on the other side of all that shit that life tends to throw at us expectedly.

We have talked and ridden together a few times but like Norm said dont know you much beyond that either. I do know youre a great rider and person to chill and bullshit with when we are hanging out.

We all have these ups and downs, I find it comes down to focusing on what you can control (when will I ride my bike, how much less crap food will i eat) vs. what you can't control (getting COVID, working more hours with a new job).

I've been riding this season with a few folks who focus too much on "man I used to rip that hill climb 30 seconds faster..." My comment is always more like - well at least we are out riding now just enjoy it. Im probably a hypocrite when I say this but just keep looking forward not back and at some point you will end up where you want to be or where youre meant to be.

Hope to see you on a ride sooner than later - keep at it and feel better soon. everyone here has got your back.

p.s. when you brew too much beer that you want to stop drinking, happy to take one for the team and drink it. : :thumbsup: 🍻

Top Bottom