27.5+ dying??

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Lies.

On topic, the industry has me not even looking at 27.5. I do ride Hart's as my home base, where I think 29ers would shine more, so I guess I got that as an additional reason to go wagon wheeling.
I tried both 27.5.+ and 29 on my Hightower.
You get better traction on the 27.5+ and the bike feels more sporty.
Better roll over on the 29 but I felt like I needed to lean the bike more in the turns.
In the twists... I get the feeling 27.5 will be more fun than the 29. I really think they all have a place which is why... N+1 is the answer.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Better roll over on the 29 but I felt like I needed to lean the bike more in the turns.
In the twists... I get the feeling 27.5 will be more fun than the 29. I really think they all have a place which is why... N+1 is the answer.

Maybe we need 28.25! Could be the ultimate do it all wheel size?????

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Have you tried the mullet setup 27+ r and 29 f ????

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Edit: also, does the longer surface equate to better grip than wider surface?

Depends on situation. There are things I have a relatively easy time cleaning with 2.8s that I slip on while riding the 29er. The opposite is also true. Things like the root step-ups at Hartshorne are easier with a 29 while a lot of the climbs at Chimney Rock are easier with a 27.5x2.8. They all have their place. Then again, nothing beats a 26x4.8 for straight up traction.

TimBay

So i
Depends on situation. There are things I have a relatively easy time cleaning with 2.8s that I slip on while riding the 29er. The opposite is also true. Things like the root step-ups at Hartshorne are easier with a 29 while a lot of the climbs at Chimney Rock are easier with a 27.5x2.8. They all have their place. Then again, nothing beats a 26x4.8 for straight up traction.
So I should buy a bike that does both and have 2 wheelsets. Problem solves. N+1 (wheelset edition) they should make a FS fatbike that you can run all 3 options on. The ultimate 1 bike solution.

1TrackMind

So i
So I should buy a bike that does both and have 2 wheelsets. Problem solves. N+1 (wheelset edition) they should make a FS fatbike that you can run all 3 options on. The ultimate 1 bike solution.
Salsa Bucksaw
67091CB9-4669-409D-A9FC-AECB9C19A5AD.jpeg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
So i

There's plenty of 2 bike replacements out there. Despite my bikes being multi wheel capable, I prefer different bikes paired to a wheel size. Like, I can ride 29ers on my FS but like 27.5 on the hardtail.

TimBay

There's plenty of 2 bike replacements out there. Despite my bikes being multi wheel capable, I prefer different bikes paired to a wheel size. Like, I can ride 29ers on my FS but like 27.5 on the hardtail.
Honestly, I'll probably stick with 1 size as I should get good at 1 thing rather than messing around.

one piece crank

If we have things like droppers making it easier are you really getting any better??

I was firmly in this camp, riding a proper, high-BB hardtail. I never dropped my seat except for skate parks.

Today’s faulty geometry almost demands a dropper post. Riding an XL fat bike my dropper has made it much safer on super technical trails, as I can actually move around and finesse the bike.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I was firmly in this camp, riding a proper, high-BB hardtail. I never dropped my seat except for skate parks.

Today’s faulty geometry almost demands a dropper post. Riding an XL fat bike my dropper has made it much safer on super technical trails, as I can actually move around and finesse the bike.
So are you for or against droppers? Your second comment about actually being able to move around is the Benefit

Top Bottom