What have you done to your bike today?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You should be able to reuse the same spindle with the new cranks, turbine and Next SL are compatible. If anything the SL have a lower Q Factor so there shouldn't be any clearance issue with the chainstays...wait, you know that both cranks come off the spindle, right?
Yes but it looks well worn that I prefer if I am putting new cranks the a new spindle was in order.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
It's a temporary fix, my OCD doesn't allow me to think it's going to be permanent. I may have to learn how not to fall before buying new stanchions though...
That first scratch is always the toughest one, though. As long as the fork still works properly and doesn't leak I would never spend the money on new stanchions. Think of all the other goodies you could get with that $400.
Meh. It's a mountain bike. If it ain't getting scratched and dinged, you ain't riding it hard enough.
Exactly.

Karate Monkey

It's a temporary fix, my OCD doesn't allow me to think it's going to be permanent. I may have to learn how not to fall before buying new stanchions though...

I mean, functionally, there's no difference between an obsessively polished repair and Kashima...it's a friction reduction coating, and friction is reduced from polishing--if you can achieve a mirror finish, it's just as good. Maybe the ability of the surface to hold oil suffers a bit, but that's hardly an enormous issue with the way forks are put together.

rlb

Finally made some progress on my Mr. Pink. I grabbed the frame back in August and have been (very) slowly accumulating and assembling parts. All that's left is to fine tune the cockpit and wrap the bars, and find some pedals. I also need a new chain (go figure, the stays are longer on this bike) but I'm ok for now as long as I don't big/big it.

IMG_20200221_210810.jpg

serviceguy

That’s pretty much what I’ve done, just replace the epoxy with goldish nail polish. Got to love the box that flips as a holder for the epoxy mixer...good news is the fork seems to be holding up just fine.

one piece crank

Going on two weeks sans Camelback, testing a meduim Revelate Tangle frame bag. I can fit everything I used to carry with a little space left over. Not a whole lot of room for clothing layers, but the left-side zip has two little stash pockets (perfect for my phone). This is largest bag I could fit without losing water bottle cages - I'm not sure I want to move water storage inside a full frame bag.

IMG_0578.JPG

That little hollow doesn't get much sun. It hit 56F yesterday, but the ground was still frozen and the air felt like a freezer. The higher trails drain well (bedrock ridges) but the lower creek trails hold surface slop for weeks - full on mud mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom