Favorite Audio Books

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jShort - just started Reamde today after finishing the Audible Original (read: podcast) Body of Proof (don't bother - it was good enough but it's not worth paying).

So I'll be back in like a month with a comment on that.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jShort - just started Reamde today after finishing the Audible Original (read: podcast) Body of Proof (don't bother - it was good enough but it's not worth paying).

So I'll be back in like a month with a comment on that.

Reamde might go faster than you plan. Maybe. It's like the opposite of cryptnomicon. (Sp?)

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agreed. After Snowcrash 20 years ago, Reamde was my next Stephenson book. It's a rocket. I then dove back in and found his other stuff to be as compelling, but more cerebral, less visceral. Fall is a pretty nice wrap-up of the Reamde story though.
Caution-don't be tempted to start reading/listening to the Stephenson/George stuff. It's garbarge. I was thoroughly pissed after listening all the way through Interface. At myself, mostly.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Also quick PSA. Download Libby, join your local library, or enter your existing member number, and you get access to tons of free audio and print books

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Reamde might go faster than you plan. Maybe. It's like the opposite of cryptnomicon. (Sp?)

So it was 1 month and 13 days, but I finished it yesterday. Mind you I work at home, so it takes a while for one to get through a 38 hour book. While I wouldn't say I LOVED it, I will say I really liked it. He keeps the story entertaining and frankly I am not sure how he is able to stay on top of so many details through that much of the book. I am even tempted to listen to Cryptonomicon again one day. For sure I will listen to more of his. Maybe he is better in audio, or maybe the narrator was that good. But I did really enjoy it.

Have not decided what is next but I did buy a bunch when I started this thread.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Zendegi today, finished it. Not sure where I got this idea but it was ok. Especially annoying was the way she voiced the kid. That made me want to quit it was so annoying at times. The book itself was fine otherwise though maybe a little disjointed.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Finished up The Martian yesterday.

Holy shit this audiobook is excellent. Andy Weir is definitely someone I will look into again.

Will Wheaton as narrator is also really good. It may be that the material is just that good. But man this combo is great.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It may be that the material is just that good. But man this combo is great.

The Martian is one of the best books I've ever read. I listened to Ready Player One narrated by Wil Wheaton, and I thought he was excellent. So definitely an excellent combo.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ready Player One narrated by Wil Wheaton, and I thought he was excellent
Have you read/listened to the second book yet? It’s on my list of things to do. Loved the first book...the movie not so much.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What is the best platform for audio books?
I use audible. But it’s $

Download Libby and you can use your library card. But you have to check it out, and it can only be lended out to one person at a time. Which makes sense from a DRM perspective but sucks from a logical standpoint.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
I use audible. But it’s $

Download Libby and you can use your library card. But you have to check it out, and it can only be lended out to one person at a time. Which makes sense from a DRM perspective but sucks from a logical standpoint.
Audible is great because you never have to wait on a book. I use Libby as well but if someone else is waiting on the book and you take longer then 14 days, you have to give the book up and wait in line to start again. I found myself listening all the time just to finish and that ruined the experience for me; I like to read(listen) on my own time. $15 a month for audible is somewhat justified although a few times during the year I feel that it isn't and cancel my membership only to restart it two months later. I guess it boils down to whatever your time is worth.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
$15 a month for audible is somewhat justified although a few times during the year I feel that it isn't and cancel my membership only to restart it two months later.

When you find a string of good books, it's well worth $15. When you don't, it's like a wide open chasm of emptiness.

I really wish the algorithms to suggest books didn't always end up on Obama and the ball of tripe they are promoting. I mean I voted for the guy, but as someone who has listened to 12 straight SciFi books, you'd think they might suggest something else.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
What I don’t like about audible is if you cancel your membership you lose your current credit if you haven’t used it. I keep wanting to cancel my membership but keep forgetting to use my credits. I use Libby the majority of the time but sometimes you can’t get what you want.

Top Bottom