Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Will conditions be good for a ride tomorrow? Wanna get out before the weather warms up and make a muddy mess this week.

without any recon, my gut tells me there is going to be some ice at the bottom, frozen goodness up top. Slippery boardwalks.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Sorry i missed this but I rode at dawn today (sunday) and it was frozen solid and perfect. A couple sketchy ice spots on the lower trails but not much. Boardwalks were fine. Lots of water sitting on the trail though so please stay away this week unless dawn patrol and sub-30 degrees. I only rode the 3 Amigos side of the Pipeline and that's now all clear after I cleared a few trees that came down with the ice. Didn't hit Blue though.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Thinking of heading down there Sunday to check on things, hike around and clear the likely debris from wind & storms. Anyone been lately and have any intel on where to focus?

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Couple of damp spots down low(the usual areas) but otherwise great.
Anything we can remedy with another mission like our last one or are these unfixable? Almost 1 month out from the first official TM on 4/25!
Based on this report, i'm going to guess everything is fine right now except the spots mentioned and the one wetter end of Chunky Monkey (Blue).

jklett

Anything we can remedy with another mission like our last one or are these unfixable? Almost 1 month out from the first official TM on 4/25!
Based on this report, i'm going to guess everything is fine right now except the spots mentioned and the one wetter end of Chunky Monkey (Blue).
It's the same areas between the boardwalks(markers 11-9 I think?) that are always an issue, there's nowhere to drain them to. The stuff we did last time definitely helped, without that it would've been much worse and I wouldn't have ridden. We either need to bring rocks in or reroute those sections to fix it. The rest of what I did was great but I only did red to the top then bombed down the pipeline.

rick81721

Lothar
It's the same areas between the boardwalks(markers 11-9 I think?) that are always an issue, there's nowhere to drain them to. The stuff we did last time definitely helped, without that it would've been much worse and I wouldn't have ridden. We either need to bring rocks in or reroute those sections to fix it. The rest of what I did was great but I only did red to the top then bombed down the pipeline.

Those areas are always going to be wet - can't boardwalk the whole thing!

jklett

Does the chunky need some leaf blower action?
It's all good, most of the leaves have been replaced by rocks.

IMG_20200311_172557845.jpg

jklett

There's also a tree at just above bar height on blue. I didn't have a saw and it's a little too big to move myself. I'll throw a saw in my pack next time but if someone else wants to hit it I won't be upset.
IMG_20200311_172859399.jpg

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
There's also a tree at just above bar height on blue. I didn't have a saw and it's a little too big to move myself. I'll throw a saw in my pack next time but if someone else wants to hit it I won't be upset.
View attachment 121437
yeah wow, i posted about that tree back on 12/7/19 and nobody has taken care of it yet. Shows how much use Chunky gets lol. Thanks for offering @clarkenstein, it would be appreciated.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions