Deer Park Conditions

Ron

Any updates on the road? Is the home owner still he’ll bent on keeping road closed? Or is access to the lot good to go?

I really want to get myself and the Warren/Sussex NICA team in there for a ride.

Thank you

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any updates on the road? Is the home owner still he’ll bent on keeping road closed? Or is access to the lot good to go?

I really want to get myself and the Warren/Sussex NICA team in there for a ride.

Thank you
Absolutely go, the signs are for intimidation purposes only. Again he does not own the road and it's not private as posted.

R grate

Be carful I spotted a large deer there a few hours ago :)
9C473475-1075-4789-9D19-71E5656E3542.jpeg

Cheechacko

I have called the state police twice to confirm the road is public, which they did. Other property owners in the area pulled up to me and tried to tell me otherwise.

Fat Trout

It looks like the state finally got around to filling in the giant pot holes right before the main parking lot. Its pretty nice actually.

The residents road closed signs on deer park road remain comical if only for the over the top quantity of various signs and warnings. I'm curious to see if the state ever does anything to deal with it/them.

avc8130

I wonder what the state CAN do. If someone posts signs on their private property, forcing them to take them down may be a 1st amendment issue? As long as he doesn't physically block the road...

Fat Trout

I wonder what the state CAN do. If someone posts signs on their private property, forcing them to take them down may be a 1st amendment issue? As long as he doesn't physically block the road...

FYI... On the basis of the comment from @Cheechacko above I sent the following in an email to the state park police. They responded 4 hours later. We'll see where it goes.

I am sending this email out of concern of a potential future confrontation between residents of Deer Park Road and park users.

I am a trail user and trail maintenance volunteer for Deer Park in Allamuchy NJ. The ONLY direct access to the park is via Deer Park Road off of Rt 517. There are a small number of residences off of Deer Park Road before the state park parking lot access. These residents have taken to a campaign of marking the road with numerous signs claiming the road to be private, off limits and no public access due to lack of state funding. Signs with claims of video surveillance, potential prosecution etc. Easily 10 - 15 signs. This is a new issue that started a few months ago.

Additionally I have just recently heard from a park user that residents have taken to speaking directly park users driving in/out telling them they must leave and not access.

This is a public access road. Improper threatening signs are bad enough, residents flagging down speaking directly to park users could lead to confrontations and that is my current concern. I fear that when the weather gets nicer and user qty increases there could be an unnecessary confrontation.

Thank You,

Reply from State Police

Thank you for your concern please know that we are aware of the issues at Deer Park Road and I am forwarding your inquiry to the Assistant Commissioner’s Office of Natural & Historic Resources for a reply.

Thank you

Lt G. Pearce

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A riding buddy reached out to me recently and gave me a perspective after talking with another property owner. His comment was
"? well yeah shome down the road does own the road and is trying not to sue the state and block access as he is not against park users. He wants to have the road paved and wants the state to chip in."

This all sounds like BS to me especially he owns the road. This is what we need to get confirmation of. It makes no sense that the original road would be sold. I would and assumed that this road is if anything is an easement.

Also know dont touch signs because there are cameras at each sign.

jdgang

Going by google maps, it draws out where each of the pacels are. Deer Park rd itself none of the parcels adjacent are part of it, and it also shows that it is part of the State Park parcel.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Going by google maps, it draws out where each of the pacels are. Deer Park rd itself none of the parcels adjacent are part of it, and it also shows that it is part of the State Park parcel.

Confirmed via NJParcels:
http://njparcels.com/property/2101/901/111

The only parcel that contains a portion of the road is the park property itself.
This is based on public records, and comes with the disclaimer: should be verified,
but I'd tend to believe this.

jdgang

If I have time on thursday. I will walk over the Allamuchy Twp and see what they have to say.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions

Trail Conditions not available
Top Bottom