big 29" tires

GreenMachine

I started on 29x3 Stache .... imo it’s probably the perfect all terrain/ season tire size ...

Tho on the FB trek Stache page many have gone to 29x 2.8 - 2.6 citing the 3.0 as too slow after cutting their teeth on the Stache ...

29 x 3.8 ? I can’t see that being an Easy haul ..:
Those 27.5 x 4.8 Gnarwhals are pretty ginormous feeling from what I recall on the Farley.

I follow this guy on FB Ride alongside - he has some great thoughts on all things MTB especially tires;

qclabrat

yes, mine is also taller then my 4.8 but just barely. That’s the point I was trying to make
Just put Dirt Wizards next to Lou/Buds and they like you said are just about the same height. Also checked the expected rim location and even 29 x 65mm with 3.25 tires may not fit. I instead ordered a set of 100mm x 26 rims from him and no clue what bike he has which would fit those monsters.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Just put Dirt Wizards next to Lou/Buds and they like you said are just about the same height. Also checked the expected rim location and even 29 x 65mm with 3.25 tires may not fit. I instead ordered a set of 100mm x 26 rims from him and no clue what bike he has which would fit those monsters.

you are in @FitmanNJ territory now!

Looking forward to seeing the results!

I'm pulling a 4.8 and 4.4 jumbo jim off the bike cause old - if you want them for size purposes, i'll keep them around.
kinda worn to actually ride anything but gravel.

qclabrat

29+ doesn't make sense to me since I already have a 29+ Carver. So the next fat tire experiment is to go 27.5 x 3.8. anyone go that route from 26" care to share experiences. This is planned for dirt riding not snow or sand

goldsbar

I started on 29x3 Stache .... imo it’s probably the perfect all terrain/ season tire size ...

Tho on the FB trek Stache page many have gone to 29x 2.8 - 2.6 citing the 3.0 as too slow after cutting their teeth on the Stache ...

No issue with pedal strikes with smaller tires? The aluminum Stache models are some of the most capable and versatile bikes for the $. Nothing against carbon, just that the cost starts competing with dual suspension.

GreenMachine

No issue with pedal strikes with smaller tires? The aluminum Stache models are some of the most capable and versatile bikes for the $. Nothing against carbon, just that the cost starts competing with dual suspension.

I found the first Stache too small .., cramped - they are great bikes .. but take a look around there’s a lotta them for sale on FB & PB.
And I agree the carbon version you can get a FS.

I had some ps issues on the Stache and Tallboy for short time I owned it at 27.5 setup.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

i have ridden my stache with 29x2.35s on it with no appreciable increase in pedal strikes, however i also have a fuel ex 27.5+ which sits ALOT lower so iv learned how to avoid them. . . .

Top Bottom