big 29" tires

qclabrat

so who makes the biggest out there for a fatbike project?
Found a source for wide carbon rims and and it will be coldish for 3 months so why not...

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think Bontranger makes a 29x3.0
And also these..
89A66B5F-CA62-49BD-BCE3-20AB169A8CDC.png

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
bontrager makes a 29x3, im not sure how much wider they go,

also of note i will have a set of duroc 50s for sale in the very near future. . . .

Karate Monkey

Vee was the largest. Don't think they make it anymore.

Bontrager are actually 3", for what it's worth.

Are you looking for something that is easy to pedal, it has the largest possible knobs?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's 29+, not 29fat. If this is a fat bike project, why aren't you looking at 26/27.5 fat? No comprendo.

qclabrat

Vee was the largest. Don't think they make it anymore.

Bontrager are actually 3", for what it's worth.

Are you looking for something that is easy to pedal, it has the largest possible knobs?
I know Duro and Vee both had 3.25 but I've read Innova might have made a 3.8. not too aggressive, something like a Knard

serviceguy

It's 29+, not 29fat. If this is a fat bike project, why aren't you looking at 26/27.5 fat? No comprendo.
This. Also, what are the specs on the frame for widest tire allowed? Salsa says 29”x3.0” for the Mukky. What bike would you run this setup on?

Last edited:

qclabrat

There's a guy I met working with Innova looking to pilot a 3.8 x 29. He has a few 90mm x 29 rims he custom ordered from China but the tires won't be ready till later this year. He claims it will fit most fatbikes which can take a 5" tire but I'm not completely sold on it.

qclabrat

This. Also, what are the specs on the frame for widest tire allowed? Salsa says 29”x3.0” for the Mukky. What bike would you run thuu is s setup on?
Fatback
The 29+ x 3.0 setups are considerably smaller than the 26x4.8 in height, but how much bigger not sure. Anyone running 27.5x3.8 care to comment on size compared to 26x4.8 and frame clearance?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There's a guy I met working with Innova looking to pilot a 3.8 x 29. He has a few 90mm x 29 rims he custom ordered from China but the tires won't be ready till later this year. He claims it will fit most fatbikes which can take a 5" tire but I'm not completely sold on it.
Even so, what is it trying to accomplish? To get it to similar outer diameters, wouldn’t it need to be a pretty low profile tire for a fat tire? Which also means you need to run more pressure and have less volume with a terrible contact patch because a bike tire can’t be flat like a car tire unless you add pounds of belting and rubber. Otherwise, if they’re going for like a 29fat tire, not sure what bike would take that. Sounds dumb.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Fatback
The 29+ x 3.0 setups are considerably smaller than the 26x4.8 in height, but how much bigger not sure. Anyone running 27.5x3.8 care to comment on size compared to 26x4.8 and frame clearance?

on my framed, the BB was 1" higher running 29x3 than 26x4.8 - felt "racier" but not as stable in the gnar.

Strugglebus

Fatback

i don’t think this is true. If anything the weighted 26” tire is smaller. I have both sets for my blackborow and sitting next to each other they are nearly identical

Strugglebus

also a 3.8 on a 90mm rim seems a little silly. Widest I would go is 80 and even that is pushing it. 65 would probably be the best IMO

qclabrat

also a 3.8 on a 90mm rim seems a little silly. Widest I would go is 80 and even that is pushing it. 65 would probably be the best IMO
I agree, 65 would be optimal which is why I've been reluctant to jump on it. I think he may just be trying to unload some carbon in the warehouse.

FitmanNJ

It's my understanding that a 29x3 on a typical rim is about as tall as a 26" Snowshoe 2XL (5.05") on a 100mm rim. If that's true, a 29x3.8" (if available) would be extremely tall, making contact with the chainstay yoke (think I'm using the right term there) a problem on many frames.

Top Bottom