Non-dorky reflectors

Ian F

I agree. Worth picking up a couple of sets for my road bikes that I do occasionally ride at night. While I generally run lights as well, extra visibility doesn't hurt. Especially with minimal drawbacks.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I agree. Worth picking up a couple of sets for my road bikes that I do occasionally ride at night. While I generally run lights as well, extra visibility doesn't hurt. Especially with minimal drawbacks.
thinking same

Ian F

I ordered a couple of sets. Fingers crossed they'll arrive and work as advertised.

Reactions: rlb

rlb

Thinking about it as well. The black looks like it wont be visible unless you're trying to find it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Similar things pop up on my IG feed.

Sometimes I wonder if some of this stuff is more distracting. Sure looks better than wearing a reflective vest.

rlb

Similar things pop up on my IG feed.

Sometimes I wonder if some of this stuff is more distracting. Sure looks better than wearing a reflective vest.

That's the same one, found it via IG myself. It's a fair point to wonder about distraction, definitely a fine line between being seen and turning yourself into a target.

Ian F

Funny thing about lights... placement and quality mean something, so something that is designed to be omni-directional is a good idea.

When I was out on the road yesterday I rode up behind someone who had a light under her seat. But I didn't actually even notice the light until I was right behind her - like less than 20 feet - so that light was essentially worthless. Fortunately, NH is a fairly "outdoorsy" place and in I've rarely had bad encounters on the road. The car that passed me somewhat closely had NY plates.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Humans are predators (eyes face the front) and as such, we react to motion. I think this type of reflectors makes sense.

But they ain’t going on my 303’s, :)

Karate Monkey

Get a few strips of adhesive Scotchlight in 1" width (actual is like 7/8"). Cut into 2" segments, remove the backing, and fold over about 1/3 of the spokes in the wheel consecutively. They weigh nothing, and are cheap to replace if they get damaged. For bonus points, do 1/4 of the wheel, skip 1/4, then do another 1/4.

1/4-1/3 of the circumference of the wheel is the most eye-catching. I forget the study that backs it up, but it's out there. Our eyes have an easier time of seeing that as motion than smaller/larger amounts.

Several companies sell Scotchlight to consumers in different base shades, too, if you don't like white. All of them reflect white.

Top Bottom