Cutting carbon fiber handle bars?

Cool. I don't have a vise but I suppose I can use a bike repair stand. Just clamp the bar and hack away. I'm wondering if spraying down the bar every once in a while to keep it wet will reduce the amount of carbon dust flying around. Just gotta do it fast enough before the water ices up. Oh I know, I can use winter windshield washer fluid good to -25°F. LOL.

1575405229510.gif

@pkovo has a good set up if you don’t have a cutter guide. I also stuffed a wet paper towel in the ends so it would grab the carbon bits when pulled out.

Cool. I don't have a vise but I suppose I can use a bike repair stand. Just clamp the bar and hack away. I'm wondering if spraying down the bar every once in a while to keep it wet will reduce the amount of carbon dust flying around. Just gotta do it fast enough before the water ices up. Oh I know, I can use winter windshield washer fluid good to -25°F. LOL.
It is honestly like a 10 second cut

Am I the only one who thinks clamping carbon bars in a vise is a BAD IDEA? o_O

This ain't rocket science man.
  • Wrap a role of tape (any tape) a bunch of times around where you want to cut the bars.
    You want to have enough tape on so you can hold the saw blade against it.
  • Prop it up on sturdy box
  • Use your foot and free hand to hold it sturdy
  • Gently saw away with a fine blade
  • Use light sandpaper to buff the cut edges.
Should be easy as pie! :)

Am I the only one who thinks clamping carbon bars in a vise is a BAD IDEA? o_O

This ain't rocket science man.
  • Wrap a role of tape (any tape) a bunch of times around where you want to cut the bars.
    You want to have enough tape on so you can hold the saw blade against it.
  • Prop it up on sturdy box
  • Use your foot and free hand to hold it sturdy
  • Gently saw away with a fine blade
  • Use light sandpaper to buff the cut edges.
Should be easy as pie! :)
Mount bar in a stem: cut bars. Clamp stem in vise or on bike. :eek:

i have a planer. it is a very messy tool. - what i want is a jointer, for the once every 3 years i actually care the edges match.

was trying to figure out how to make a jig for no $$$. i've got some white (well, when new) grips that the ends are a mess, so the lock ring would work out great.

here is the blade on amazon $10 - will just assume everyone has a hacksaw frame.
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Carbon-Cutting-Blade/dp/B00426GT1W/

the guide is relatively expensive - https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Saw-Guide/dp/B07BTH746Y/ - but might be worth having around.

A lot of newer planer are predictable with their waste. TBH a jointer plane would probably get you by

The combo is like the worst of both worlds, short bed and limited width. Unless you can get a Japanese or euro version. Rikon puts out a decent unit but still for what these run you could get a 8 or ten inch on the used market

i have a 14" planer - works great (other than the amount of shit it throws all over - weighs a ton too.
now i need straight/square edges! think i'll just go to @lucas's shop. I can't remember his forum name, but he owes us a roof drop!

Last edited:
i have a 14" planer - works great (other than the amount of shit it throws all over - weighs a ton too.
now i need straight/square edges! think i'll just go to @lucas' shop. I can't remember his forum name, but he owes us a roof drop!
Liked for roof drop.

now i need straight/square edges! think i'll just go to @lucas's shop. I can't remember his forum name, but he owes us a roof drop!
He has a combo joiner/planer with a flip table, but it's a solid machine with dust suction. Laguna I think? It sure doesn't look like that rinky dink balsa wood shredder you posted. I should be there this Sat if you need to square some stuff.

Back
Top Bottom