New Fat Tires ?

FitmanNJ

Bud/Bud is a really good combo unless you let too much air out
I've had a different experience, Bill. Even with the old, non-tubeless ready Bud, I've been able to run as little as 1psi in deep snow conditions without issues (yes, tubeless)...with maximal float! I wouldn't try that in dry conditions, though, for fear of cracking the rims from a rock/root impact.

one piece crank

I'm a big guy and ride fat year-round, so I generally don't run too low in the psi-department. But I've learned a lot about tire pressure over the past year and am looking forward to riding the Bud/Bud on snow.

Also, I have never mounted a non-tubless Surly tire, but these tubless ready versions are not loose on the rim at all.

one piece crank

Lack of snow has meant lots of dirt use, and I’m really digging the Bud/Bud combo!

At off-road pressure the off-camber/side-slope/cornering grip is insane. On hills I’ve repeatedly backed off until power and rear tire traction are the only way up, and the rear Bud has yet to slip. Rolling resistance is lower than my old Ground Controls, and now that I’ve started pumping up to 10psi for my on-road returns home, these things really roll!

Very happy with the tires, just need snow.

qclabrat

I got the Lou/Buds this season and sad to say the new fatbike still has zero hours....
Thinking to switch to out to dirt tires, anyone have any 26" to sell? Preferably JJs or Barbez
Will likely go to 27.5x4" this summer.

one piece crank

I just put the fattest tire I can fit, with a good overall feel, and run it year round. No sense going with a lighter/skinnier tire for a tractor bike.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
I'm running FBR 26X4.80 front and rear tubeless. I did not like the FBF in the front during last years snow but the FBR seemed to hook up okay. I'm hoping we eventually get enough to see how the "R" performs on front in the snow. They rail in the dirt.

Sven Migot

My 2019 Salsa Mukluk came with the Minion FBF in the front & rear. So I guess Salsa likes that setup for things that Mukluks do.

Last edited:

qclabrat

I just put the fattest tire I can fit, with a good overall feel, and run it year round. No sense going with a lighter/skinnier tire for a tractor bike.
Wait, so the Fatback FLT is not "Fast and Light"?

I got a slightly used pair of Maxxis Mommoth 26x4.0 ($90) and a nearly new pair of Maxxis Minion FBF 26x4.8 ($130)

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-509-140-minion-fbf

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-494-135-mammoth

Thanks, but the FBF is a bit of an overlap of the Lou/Buds I already have. Tread on the Mammoth looks good, but I'm looking for a bigger tire. The Barbegazi looks pretty spot on, but if I'm buying new, I'll likely get the 27.5s.

one piece crank

I've been riding more greasy dirt lately, and the Buds are really nice. Cornering traction is amazing. Plus, having the same tread front/rear, the break-loose/hook-up point is nearly identical. In fast/sharp corners you get a few milliseconds of drift as the front re-connects, then the rear does the same and you're on your way.

My climbing traction has only been limited to fitness (if I'm too tired to pick a good line). I also noticed the Buds' side-slope/off-camber traction is very reactive to applied brake force.

Last edited:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I like the Jumbo Jims a lot. They hook up really well in almost all conditions, plus they are relatively light. I regret swapping them for Maxxis Mammoth tires, which SUCK BALLS.

one piece crank

Finally got some trail time with the JJ’s. First comparison is eyeball-sizing them. The JJ’s mounted on 80mm Jackalope rims sit wider in the rear of my frame than a Bud on 80mm Specialized BAD’s. However the Bud’s are visibly ~0.50” taller(?). Frame clearance is fine, the JJ is just much closer to the chain, in the lowest gear, than the Bud.

On the trail, they do roll lighter. I wasn’t sure how much they would squish, so I ran them at 7psi. I’m big, 6’4”/230 and they still felt a little firm at that pressure and would rebound a little too much, but no real chance of rim strikes. They did fine traction-wise, but any tire probably would have. I’ll have to play with pressure a little, but today was fun and I bombed down a few rooty sections a little faster than I normally would have (at softer pressure) for fear of rim strikes.

Top Bottom