Generic Pro Road Cycling Thread

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
For a time Elden Nelson (The Fat Cyclist) had a podcast and was also a contributor on the Cycling Tips podcast.... I like podcasts... like the one @Norm used to publish (hint).
Anywho... on one of them he remarked that when you say Van Avermaet quickly, it sounds like the theme to “TheMuppet Show”. I can no longer see or hear his name w/out the damn theme song playing in my head.... damn you Fatty!?

Last edited:

trener1

As a counter point though, his win at the olympics was a super gritty and determined ride, and this year his team gave him no support, sometimes it would be like 4 quick steps and him at the end of a race, so comparing him to Hincapie is a bit unfair. He has won some really big races (though granted none this year).

Last edited:

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Amgen back out of the TOC after Sky/Ineos testosterone sales come to a screeching halt
I didn’t read the details but that’s a total bummer. TOC at minimum had Sagan, and was a great showcase for US riders.
I think there’s a pro tour race coming to Baltimore either 2020 or 2021.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I didn’t read the details but that’s a total bummer. TOC at minimum had Sagan, and was a great showcase for US riders.
I think there’s a pro tour race coming to Baltimore either 2020 or 2021.
Sagan doing the Giro means no TOC. No Sagan = no star power = no ratings = no dice.

CrankAddictRich

My guess would be that you've got it reversed. Sagan probably already had some inside information that TOC wasn't gonna happen and that's why he's chosen the Giro.

CrankAddictRich

OMG he got even thinner! someone needs to clue him in to the fact that his problem isn’t his power to weight ratio, it’s his heart to adversity ratio where he’s woefully lacking.

I'm assuming you're basing the "OMG, he got even thinner!" comment on the photo of him with Allen from Skratchlabs, but I'm fairly certain that isn't a current photo....he's wearing a short sleeve skinsuit and holding a TT helmet in the shot and Allen is in shorts and a t-shirt. The kit is the 2019 style, not the 2020. Also, this announcement was made at their team training camp in Bentonville, Arkansas and in all of the pics on the blog, the guys are wearing leg and arm warmers and vests.. it was pretty cold. I'm guessing they just pulled some stock from last year for the photo...

He does look thin, although he's coming into the big races the last few years pretty thin. I couldn't agree more with you on the heart to adversity ratio... I feel like he pulls the plug to early on days when he feels off, instead of trying to fight through it and limit his loses. In a grand tour, everyone is going to have a bad day, the guys that do well, hang on through those bad days... it might even be the fact that he's so thin, coming into the big races that he's on track for a bad day to begin with.

Top Bottom