It's called Candyass because...

@Fat Trout
81AEABF4-C88F-480A-99E0-7DA5A53997BD.jpeg

Extremely excited to be back in the states and riding Allamuchy on Sunday after 2 months studying in London. How's the newly maintained candy ass riding now? Wanted to get a couple runs of it in as soon as I get back.

Extremely excited to be back in the states and riding Allamuchy on Sunday after 2 months studying in London. How's the newly maintained candy ass riding now? Wanted to get a couple runs of it in as soon as I get back.

Rode CA over the past weekend. In EXCELLENT shape. Much fun!

For those interested. I hiked this yesterday and cleared all of the loose sticks / branches / debris and one mid sized tree that gave me a workout with the hand saw. The trail itself was in good shape and 99% dry with one very small wet spot but lots of leaves as you would expect. Not too bad to follow but not perfect. I raked out the entrance and sporatically where it seemed hard to follow. I may try to clear some leaves in the future. Using it this year will help burn it in so if you want to help feel free to ride it, hike a bike, hike it or whatever.

I rode Candy Ass today for the first time since last summer, and managed to do it dab-free, *pats self on the back*

Like @Fat Trout said, the best way to keep this trail maintained is going to be with increased traffic. It's 100% follow-able right now, but the grass and weeds are starting to take over. When you ride Mooch North, ride Candy Ass as a downhill from the top of the Cardiac Bypass instead of purple! It's not as fast but it'll keep the trail riding great.

Does anyone have intel on current conditions of CA? i haven't ridden before so curious if conditions would allow a first timer to follow

Does anyone have intel on current conditions of CA? i haven't ridden before so curious if conditions would allow a first timer to follow

I rode a few weeks ago and it was good. Leaf cover may cause some confusion but take you're time. You aren't going to go fast anyway

You will have "some confusion" first time through. The trail isn't always obvious in the best of times. If you see a really steep uphill or downhill, that's probably where the trail goes.

You will have "some confusion" first time through. The trail isn't always obvious in the best of times. If you see a really steep uphill or downhill, that's probably where the trail goes.
This is exactly true. If your new to it....Its not heavily ridden and it is a back and forth switchback kind of path through much of it. Check out trailforks and you'll see that. I've had some progress in getting the overgrowth cut back but the leaf cover is still there as raking the whole thing just isn't practical....and this time of year has heavy leaf drop everywhere. I have thoughts of bringing a backpack blower up there to get the heavy stuff cleared and help the burn in since it is so much in the "lightly ridden" category but dang that's a tough one to get the motivation for lol. reality is that its a slow trail and something of an adventure. Once you know it better you can anticipate trying to work through something in a progression with more "flow" from feature to feature. No shame at all for just finding your way through slowly and then trying some features a few times. I walk stuff back and try again all the time. In Mid May / June its probably in its prime to follow just because of the weed growth along the sides as the trail center doesn't grow weeds. I don't ride it a lot but its really cool (IMO) enough that I've made it a pet project to try to keep it open.

Last edited:
This is exactly true. If your new to it....Its not heavily ridden and it is a back and forth switchback kind of path through much of it. Check out trailforks and you'll see that. I've had some progress in getting the overgrowth cut back but the leaf cover is still there as raking the whole thing just isn't practical....and this time of year has heavy leaf drop everywhere. I have thoughts of bringing a backpack blower up there to get the heavy stuff cleared and help the burn in since it is so much in the "lightly ridden" category but dang that's a tough one to get the motivation for lol. reality is that its a slow trail and something of an adventure. Once you know it better you can anticipate trying to work through something in a progression with more "flow" from feature to feature. No shame at all for just finding your way through slowly and then trying some features a few times. I walk stuff back and try again all the time. In Mid May / June its probably in its prime to follow just because of the weed growth along the sides as the trail center doesn't grow weeds. I don't ride it a lot but its really cool (IMO) enough that I've made it a pet project to try to keep it open.

thanks for the input all - and extra thanks to all of those who put in the effort of keeping even these lightly used trails alive!

I hiked this after clearing some stuff on cardiac. CA is in good shape and even though there are a lot of leaves down it follows as good or better than id expect for a trail with light traffic. Way better than when i started checking it out.
Thanks to all who have been riding it.... it has helped....a lot!
Special thanks to whoever left me a spare 29er tube to find. It looked like a brand new one too until i unrolled it and found 2 patches. Next time loose a new one lol 🤣

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions