Vehicle inspections

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lol
My kids car that he drives has an old faded temp card in window. He gets pulled at least twice month and never gets an inspection ticket. He seems always get the trees hanging from the mirror. Think I paid about $160 total for those which I since ripped off.
Wife's van has been overdue for 1 1/2 years and mine just became overdue. We got no time for that.

@Carson do yous not care about stickers anymore?
They used to set up a road check in town once month not that long ago.

I don't hear the Millennials talking about inspection stickers, that's for sure. Now that it's $180 fine, guys look for other infractions that don't hurt so much. Not to say you still can't get stopped and written for it. But I agree it's not enforced like it used to be.

Yes, 1995 and older no longer require inspection, so scrap off the sticker.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They tested the cars in front of me for emissions. They just slapped a sticker on my truck since it is a 17. Dealer never put a sticker on my window when I bought it. Cop said the dealers are lazy or morons. They are supposed to put a sticker on new cars even thought they don't need inspections for 5 years.

yup all the new cars my family has bought since i can remember have come with white inspection stickers, the colored ones mean you actually went through afaik

Dingo

Come on over for the allaire group ride, and stop in at the Freehold inspection station. Hardly ever a waiting line.

In our dealership shop, I see so many cars with expired stickers. Mention this to the driver and they could care less. I don't get that. For me it would be a reason to be pulled over.

I sure do not have time to be pulled over. Same as my plate being hidden by the bike rack.

The less time spent on the side of the road with an officer of the law is better for me. Your time may vary.

jtrain

In Montgomery on 206 (right in front of Halters) they often (once a month?) set up an inspection and seat belt checkpoint. Sometimes I hit it three or four times in a day on my way to / home from work and lunch. I'm sure they are ticketing.

In NJ the inspection is just reading the OBD port and checking the emissions. They left all the safety stuff for the Police to notice and have a reason to pull you over. If the light is on you will not pass.

Dingo

Yes, 1995 and older no longer require inspection, so scrap off the sticker.

For me, this is crazy. Old cars are the ones that should be inspected for safety items. Not to mention, generally speakin' an old car means someone that cannot afford to repair.

On the other hand it's great for car guys! Build that 1980 g-body or notch 'stang LS turbo 10 sec car and drive on the street too.

Mahnken

I bought my Jeep new in 2003 and the inspection was good until 2007. I just sold it last year without ever getting it inspected. By the time I sold it, maybe 10% of the sticker was still on the window; getting wet, muddy, and cleaned so much took it's toll. I was never pulled over or ticketed for it though.

walter

Fourth Party
I got pulled over a few weeks ago on Stelton Rd for not having a valid sticker at an inspection stop. Free, quick inspection, right on the spot. No waiting necessary. :thumbsup:
Right between centennial and 287, right? Thats their favorite spot

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I dont think NJ does the safety inspection anymore, just the emissions.

When I couldn't get my Honda hoopties to pass ~10 years ago (old motors in new cars, no exhaust, turbo kits, stupid shit like that) I signed up for a "Collector Vehicle" inspection and then just did odometer fraud instead.

The nj dmv says this:
Collector vehicles
To be classified as a "collector vehicle" make sure that the vehicle:

• Is not registered as a "historic vehicle" or a "street rod"
  • Is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year
  • Is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle"
  • Is not a vehicle with an elevated chassis height subject to an inspection in accordance with NJAC 13:20-37

I bought another Civic cluster and just swapped them out, had the reading done, drove around for a week or so, put the other cluster in, done and done. Obviously a 90s civic is not insured as a collector vehicle, but I guess either the dude didn't know, or just overlooked it. I think the only thing the inspector did was made sure I had seat belts and pretty much did this in the parking lot at the DMV.

IMHOMO, I would just roll around with the expired inspection if you don't want to fix it.

When I lived in an apartment I had to keep insurance, registration and inspection or they'd tow me. I was parting out a wrx and someone wanted the windshield and gave extra $$ for the sticker so I had to go get the car inspected so I'd stay out of trouble and the stuck it on my driverside window,
Lol
My kids car that he drives has an old faded temp card in window. He gets pulled at least twice month and never gets an inspection ticket. He seems always get the trees hanging from the mirror. Think I paid about $160 total for those which I since ripped off.
Wife's van has been overdue for 1 1/2 years and mine just became overdue. We got no time for that.

@Carson do yous not care about stickers anymore?
They used to set up a road check in town once month not that long ago.

20 bucks a car I'll take each one in for you

THATmanMANNY

EVs arent going to save the world but it is a step in the right direction. Not including cars, we are doing a fine job fucking up our only habitable planet.

It's saving gas money and avoiding all the extra resources needed to refine and transport oil/petrol and improves air quality while you bike to work. Don't be ignant

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
flemington for lack of line.

i have a bt dongle that i can reset the codes just before getting out of the car.
at least the light is out.

metro is exempt - already carson'd the sticker....

Dingo

flemington for lack of line.

i have a bt dongle that i can reset the codes just before getting out of the car.
at least the light is out.

metro is exempt - already carson'd the sticker....
Clearing codes just before going to inspection will not pass. The ecm has to run the tests and pass. I think it's 3 out of 5 tests. Not sure, cuz nobody with a new car has to even go there...

Back in the day Christine Whitless had all private NJ inspections station purchase a emissions dyno. We spent over 50k for one. What a fiasco that was.

JerseyPete

Does the OP ride a motorcycle? No inspection.
Motorcycle self-inspection
Effective August 1, 2010, motorcycles are no longer required to submit for an inspection in New Jersey. Riders should keep in mind that it is their responsibility to make sure their motorcycles are free from mechanical defects and are operating properly. Law enforcement may still cite a cyclist for equipment out of compliance or failure to make repairs.
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicletopics/motorcycle.htm

dnap

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hillsborough enjoys giving out tickets for overdue inspection stickers.

You can have every light on the dash blinking except the check engine light and have questionable brakes and still pass so long as you pass the emissions test.

Flemington was a breeze to go through.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Maybe go to Autozone and have them hook up odb reader and find out what codes you have, then you’ll know what your dealing with. It’s usually an o2 sensor or cat issue.

qclabrat

It's a 2003 pilot and I just read somewhere the SRS light might be the same fuse as the rear wiper which is not working. Easy check before I head over. Otherwise I'll tape a picture of Jesus over the light...

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's a 2003 pilot and I just read somewhere the SRS light might be the same fuse as the rear wiper which is not working. Easy check before I head over. Otherwise I'll tape a picture of Jesus over the light...
Won’t fail for the srs light. Lots of the older Honda’s had an external shift sensor solenoid that goes bad and kicks off the check engine light. Fiddy dollar part and some labor if it’s that. If it’s an internal code that’s not so good.

@Dingo we had the $50k paperweight also. Then when they nerfed safety items it was hardly worth doing inspections. We did okay fixing all the stuff you’d fail for beforehand.

I just remembered the “sharp edges” rules. Boy was that a grey area on rotted out S-10’s.

Top Bottom