houses for sale thread

Zestimates aren't super accurate but when you are priced 30% higher, you have a problem. 478 days on market confirms
Zestimates are pretty good when it comes to "normal" homes. The bigger concern for me is the tax assessment value is only $349k. If I bought it for 650, does that now become the new fair market value basis? Any knowledgeable real estate people know the answer to this question?

Zestimates are pretty good when it comes to "normal" homes. The bigger concern for me is the tax assessment value is only $349k. If I bought it for 650, does that now become the new fair market value basis? Any knowledgeable real estate people know the answer to this question?

I doubt the tax status would change. Look at the price history on trulia (realtor.com only goes back to last year). The owner has been trying to sell that place since 2014 - started at $849K!

I doubt the tax status would change. Look at the price history on trulia (realtor.com only goes back to last year). The owner has been trying to sell that place since 2014 - started at $849K!
Not sure this is true. Asking price does not determine assessed value, but the actual sales price does. The assessed value is supposed to reflect true market value.

Not sure this is true. Asking price does not determine assessed value, but the actual sales price does. The assessed value is supposed to reflect true market value.

No sales price doesn't usually impact assessed value. Based on history, the guy remodeled the house at least 5 years ago, so the current assessment should reflect that. If I was buying this house, the concern would be appraised value by the mortgage company (if you are buying cash, then no issue). If you're trying to get an 80/20 mortgage and pay $650K and it only appraises at $500K - you have problems.

If you really like it - offer $525K and see what he says!

No sales price doesn't usually impact assessed value. Based on history, the guy remodeled the house at least 5 years ago, so the current assessment should reflect that. If I was buying this house, the concern would be appraised value by the mortgage company (if you are buying cash, then no issue). If you're trying to get an 80/20 mortgage and pay $650K and it only appraises at $500K - you have problems.

If you really like it - offer $525K and see what he says!
Discussion is moot since house is off the market as of today.

FLW houses are great for visiting, not for living. He got a lot of things wrong for actual living. For instance the kitchen is always a small galley style kitchen hidden away while post FLW people have figured out a kitchen can be the social focal point of the house.

I'd love a modern style home but any that I find to live in I'm sure I'd have to modify. There's actually a really nice development in Morristown off James St that's all modern homes and they've been heavily modified over the years as the original design doesn't actually work well for living.

FLW does nail the living room.
I agree. Been a fan of FLW for decades and have read various articles on the subject. Works of art but not practical. Then again, is art practical?

1092F881-5F79-4FCF-92F6-4210A15D4084.png

Yeah. Go to MoMA and you'll see some great form following function, and it's beautiful.

My favorite is the Bell 47.

But I digress...
Digress is what some of us like to do, because(at times), is fun.

I remember attending the Art of the Motorcycle exhibit at the Guggenheim back in 1998. I believe it was the most popular exhibit in the history of the museum. The Guggenheim, a well known Wright work, opened 6 months after he died. He intended the building to have a sharp contrast against the NYC Skyline and he even took a jab at the design of the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art.

My parents have a modern style lake house and couldn’t figure out what color to paint the front door. I suggested Cherokee Red(Wright’s trademark color), and it looks perfect.

Check out the Christie house in Bernadsville if you can, supposedly the largest FLW house in NJ at 1900 sq ft.

I toured it with a realtor earlier in the year, the ceilings in most of the house are so low that he put the light switches up there to avoid the clutter on walls, kitchen was small compared to modern homes but probably a good size for the age. I would totally deal with all of it to live there If we were rich.

https://www.dwell.com/article/james-christie-frank-lloyd-wright-house-for-sale-64825c75

I think theres another FLW house in Glen ridge for sale right now, not every day that you can walk through the privately owned examples.

I agree. Been a fan of FLW for decades and have read various articles on the subject. Works of art but not practical. Then again, is art practical?

View attachment 102792

Check out the Christie house in Bernadsville if you can, supposedly the largest FLW house in NJ at 1900 sq ft.

I toured it with a realtor earlier in the year, the ceilings in most of the house are so low that he put the light switches up there to avoid the clutter on walls, kitchen was small compared to modern homes but probably a good size for the age. I would totally deal with all of it to live there If we were rich.

https://www.dwell.com/article/james-christie-frank-lloyd-wright-house-for-sale-64825c75

I think theres another FLW house in Glen ridge for sale right now, not every day that you can walk through the privately owned examples.
Nice example and on over 7 acres of land. It appears the general consensus so far on this thread, is that the single family FLW homes are works of art, but tend to be a little claustrophobic.

Back
Top Bottom