World Cup DH back this weekend!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Super exciting race. I definitely recommend watching this one. You think you're headed for one kind of a day but things change dramatically. Exciting stuff.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Les Gets is in the books. Exciting race, very much like Vallnord in many ways. Sad that Gwin wasn't there but frankly he couldn't catch the tops guys right now anyway. Americans nowhere near where I thought they could be this year. Where the holy hell is Charlie Harrison? And Neko cant even qualify anywhere. Gah.

mtbiker87

Harrison is out with injuries. Gotta agree though, team USA is currently in the crapper. Luca at least got a top 20, and Bruce Kline got the unoffical " farthest send off that one jump in practice award" lol ! There is that.

serviceguy

Sad to see Rachel get out of the WC this way. I can't help but wonder if DH is really this exception to the rule where everybody cares about everybody else and not just celebrate another competitor out of the way, sure they make it look that way...didn't see the denim destroyer this week, I guess the knodel restaurant was uber busy...BTW, Sudtirol knodels are the business!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Shaw was a top qualifier last year and regularly in the top 5 in qualifying I believe. Podiumed once I believe. This year he isnt pushing it the way the top guys are. Worst part is he seems happy with his top 20s.

Watching Pierron fly down the hill was amazing. I dont root for him Vergier and Bruni but they are incredible. Shame brosnan got left off the top 3 and kudos to brendan fairclough for the most TV time he's had since crankworx rampage. 6th is his highest place in a WC since 2015!

Amazing results again for david trummer. Third top 10 of the year?? Pink bike says he's "not technically a privateer" but he pits out of his van so kudos to him and someone pay the man.

And so close for laurie Greenland. Has he been top 3 before? A win barring great runs from by far the best 2 riders on the planet.

ebarker9

Amaury's GoPro is ridiculous:

Wishing that we could have seen Gwin here. I'm not sure that he would have had the pace to match Bruni or Pierron, but always enjoy his style of riding. Definitely wouldn't count the guy out just yet.

serviceguy

Shaw was a top qualifier last year and regularly in the top 5 in qualifying I believe. Podiumed once I believe. This year he isnt pushing it the way the top guys are. Worst part is he seems happy with his top 20s.

Watching Pierron fly down the hill was amazing. I dont root for him Vergier and Bruni but they are incredible. Shame brosnan got left off the top 3 and kudos to brendan fairclough for the most TV time he's had since crankworx rampage. 6th is his highest place in a WC since 2015!

Amazing results again for david trummer. Third top 10 of the year?? Pink bike says he's "not technically a privateer" but he pits out of his van so kudos to him and someone pay the man.

And so close for laurie Greenland. Has he been top 3 before? A win barring great runs from by far the best 2 riders on the planet.

Most definitely hoping to see more top 10 from Brendog from now on.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Most definitely hoping to see more top 10 from Brendog from now on.

I met him once when he and sam hill were on iron horse. They were there and I brought my iron horse azure into campmor and they signed it lol. I couldn't understand either one of them.

Ian F

Sad to see Rachel get out of the WC this way. I can't help but wonder if DH is really this exception to the rule where everybody cares about everybody else and not just celebrate another competitor out of the way, sure they make it look that way...didn't see the denim destroyer this week, I guess the knodel restaurant was uber busy...BTW, Sudtirol knodels are the business!

She posted the helmet cam of that practice run with a "don't watch if squeamish" warning. She was screaming and swearing from the landing to the pits. It was bad.

With DH, I think the camaraderie is helped by the fact they don't really race wheel-to-wheel, but it's you against the course. Still, you tend to see a similar congratulatory attitude in the XC ranks. Everyone knows how much work they all put in to be as good as they can be and accepts that sometimes it might not be your day. While the US is tanking on the DH side, at least Kate Courtney is keeping the flame alive of the XC side.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
With DH, I think the camaraderie is helped by the fact they don't really race wheel-to-wheel, but it's you against the course.

I think that's true and it helps create a chill vibe, but the constant love for someone who just beat you is getting kind of ridiculous. When Pierron wins and Vergier just got booted off the podium, Vergier runs out and hugs him like its Christmas. Anyone think Steve Peat would run over and hug the guy who just beat him? Not a freakin chance. This is the xgames/Crankworx effect and I think it hurts the sport as much as it helps it.

Ian F

Well, as Vergier and Bruni mentioned during their interview/discussion: They're French. They're very emotional.

I remember the one DH race I won at Blue a few years ago. One rider came down, apparently thought he put down a fast time, and then scowled at me on the hot seat after the announcer said his time as he walked over to look at it.

ebarker9

Nationals took place. Mullaly over the rest. No shaw or gwin. Good to see Harrison back (2nd). Only other interesting note is Kyle strait raced and was 21st, 30 sec back.

Jill kinter easily won the womens race, 5 sec over 2nd and 15 over 3rd place. And she rode on an enduro bike. US women make the men look competitive.

https://m.vitalmtb.com/news/news/RESULTS-2019-U-S-National-Downhill-Championships,1264

Surprised but happy to see Neko take the win. Seemed like Dak Norton and maybe Bruce Klein came in with more momentum.

Ian F

...and Luca Shaw didn't attend. Possible he didn't want to deal with jet lag with the next World Cup this weekend. But hopefully this will give Neko a confidence boost so he can get back to being competitive at World Cups again.

It's definitely strange how the US is doing well in women's XC with Kate Courtney and Lea Davison, but essentially has zero DH presence and for the men it's pretty much the exact opposite. Our top XC men's racer is lucky to crack the top 30.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
It's definitely strange how the US is doing well in women's XC with Kate Courtney and Lea Davison, but essentially has zero DH presence and for the men it's pretty much the exact opposite. Our top XC men's racer is lucky to crack the top 30.

Keegan Swanson is getting better. Might be a threat in a couple years. Theres also a specialized guy that's decent that's been hurt all year. I think we're basically horrible in everything right now except gwin and kate courtney and one brilliant chloe woodruff short track race. Charlie Harrison prove me wrong!

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Val di sole qualifying times are in and charlie Harrison is looking good! Well, top 10 anyway. And David Trummer is clearly here to stay. What a year that dude is having and I'm curious what team scoops him up for next year. Also Norton looks good and the denim dude is back!

1st. Amaury Pierron: 3:48.443
2nd. Greg Minnaar: +0.358
3rd. David Trummer: +0.405
4th. Danny Hart: +0.567
5th. Loris Revelli: +2.349
6th. Loris Vergier: +3.973
7th. Dakotah Norton: +4.361
8th. Johannes Von Klebelsberg: +4.448
9th. Charlie Harrison: +5.066
10th. Brook Macdonald: +5.277

ebarker9

Val di sole qualifying times are in and charlie Harrison is looking good! Well, top 10 anyway. And David Trummer is clearly here to stay. What a year that dude is having and I'm curious what team scoops him up for next year. Also Norton looks good and the denim dude is back!

1st. Amaury Pierron: 3:48.443
2nd. Greg Minnaar: +0.358
3rd. David Trummer: +0.405
4th. Danny Hart: +0.567
5th. Loris Revelli: +2.349
6th. Loris Vergier: +3.973
7th. Dakotah Norton: +4.361
8th. Johannes Von Klebelsberg: +4.448
9th. Charlie Harrison: +5.066
10th. Brook Macdonald: +5.277

Those are the practice times. Qualifying times are all over the place with rain coming down:

1st. Joe Breeden: 4:07.982
2nd. Davide Palazzari: +1.083
3rd. Faustin Figaret: +1.983
4th. Forrest Riesco: +2.277
5th. Brook Macdonald: +6.453
6th. Amaury Pierron: +7.314
7th. Jack Reading: +8.076
8th. Francisco Pardal: +8.951
9th. Laurie Greenland: +10.589
10th. Rafael Gutierrez Villegas: +11.212

Top Bottom