Stems and bars and reach, oh my!!

nj6964

This year I’ve picked up my 2014 Scott spark again after 2 years of...err resting it. I threw on tubeless tires and am stoked to be back out on the trail.

However...this is an XC bike that I put a 120mm fork on to make it more “trail-ish”. It has a 90mm stem with only 700mm bars. Size Lg, reach is 440mm and I’m about 6’ tall.

My question is, in the past the bike has worked fine for me, but being a tinkerer...I wonder if it’s worth shortening the stem and widening the bars, or will it be too cramped bc it’s not really a trail bike. I don’t race, probably never will, I just like trail riding on mostly rocky stuff, typical north NJ riding...home trails are High Mtn.

Sorry for the super wordiness but any thoughts on how much difference stem/bars might make. Money is tight but I could squeeze a cheap raceface stem and maybe some bars if it’s worth it...maybe 740...760 ? Thanks all!!

At your height I'd suggest 760 bars minimum regardless of stem length . Realistically 10 or 20 mm shorter stem would probably be ok for similar body positioning any shorter and wheelies for life

Short answer would be sure, try it and see how you like it. Maybe try and find used parts just to save cash if it doesn't fly. 750+ sounds about right for a bigger guy.

This year I’ve picked up my 2014 Scott spark again after 2 years of...err resting it. I threw on tubeless tires and am stoked to be back out on the trail.

However...this is an XC bike that I put a 120mm fork on to make it more “trail-ish”. It has a 90mm stem with only 700mm bars. Size Lg, reach is 440mm and I’m about 6’ tall.

My question is, in the past the bike has worked fine for me, but being a tinkerer...I wonder if it’s worth shortening the stem and widening the bars, or will it be too cramped bc it’s not really a trail bike. I don’t race, probably never will, I just like trail riding on mostly rocky stuff, typical north NJ riding...home trails are High Mtn.

Sorry for the super wordiness but any thoughts on how much difference stem/bars might make. Money is tight but I could squeeze a cheap raceface stem and maybe some bars if it’s worth it...maybe 740...760 ? Thanks all!!

I would start at 780 (you can cut longer bars down) and a 50-60mm stem. I'm around the same height as you (but with long legs, short torso), with a bike of similar reach, and this worked out really well for me. I kept the bars at 780. The only thing you need to be mindful of going to wider bars is clipping trees. When this happens while you're going fast, the crashes are spectacular.

Just as a caution, if you only do the bars you might be shifting your center of gravity forward. Imagine you are ready to do a push up, then spread your hands wider. Your body gets closer to the ground. I think the advantage of the wider bar/shorter stem is a combo of the two. Bars for more control/leverage, stem to get your weight back over the center of the bike.
Just my .02

you can also add a little setback in the seatpost to avoid going too long up front
My little experience with rocks prefers less weight on front

Has anyone sized up the "comfortable " bar size for Jungle Habitat, where you are not risking smashed pinkies?

Jungle was made before wide bars were in vogue, and those "gates" serve to keep the dirt bikes out. Every time I ride there with my 780mm bars, its a death-defying experience. As far as bar width goes, your hands should be just a little wider than your shoulders. If you go too wide, you may start having wrist and shoulder issues.

Wow thanks for all the great responses. So I’m hearing consensus to definitely shorten the stem and widen the bars. I’m at 90mm now and I thinking of going to 60mm stem...still seems long by today’s trail bike standards. Anyway to know if I’m really gonna be wheelie-ing? I’m thinking a 780mm bar is good as it can always be trimmed down.

Now the question of rise...I like the idea of 20mm rise..I can always adjust stem spacers if necessary. Right now my bar is flat. Any other thoughts on bar rise for an XC turned trail bike?

Interesting, that JH will now be made even wilder. Can’t wait to try that out.

Back
Top Bottom