Vermont MTB forum with Buy&Sell?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
A buddy up in VT is looking to sell his Cannonade Habit and I want to point him to the best marketplace. What's the local MTB website/group up there?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm no help in VT community, but Pinkbike and Facebook Marketplace is everywhere.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
There’s a “mtb the northeast” group on Facebook too. I’d probably go to Pinkbike first though.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Try VMBA.org Be warned though, VT is not Cannondale country.

Is there a background to this?

Last year in VT my car was parked outside with my bike on the rack. Worker came out, saw the Lefty and freaked about it like it was alien technology. Said he's never seen one in VT.

Captain Brainstorm

Is there a background to this?

Last year in VT my car was parked outside with my bike on the rack. Worker came out, saw the Lefty and freaked about it like it was alien technology. Said he's never seen one in VT.

Most of the locals up in VT have always favored their long-travel burly bikes. Everyone up there also likes to think of themselves as non-corporate, more fringe. Cannondale was always looked at as more of a "mainstream" cross-country type of company, plus they have the "crack and fail" reputation (fair or not). Its rare to see someone with the "Vermont Strong" license plate or "802" sticker with a Cannondale on the hitch. They were hucking big things up where I ride on "secret" trails and features since the late 90's, early 2000's while we were all still wearing lycra. That mentality has carried over, even though most of the trails are professionally built, organized, and maintained. Most of the brands of choice seem to be Transition, Rocky Mountain, and Santa Cruz. Most folks are on 150-160mm bikes because while the climbs are long, the descents are also long and fast. Most of the trails I ride are built around the easy up, rip it down philosophy (which I like BTW). No one is riding around looking for epic technical climbs, they want the epic technical descents.

don

Most of the locals up in VT have always favored their long-travel burly bikes. Everyone up there also likes to think of themselves as non-corporate, more fringe. Cannondale was always looked at as more of a "mainstream" cross-country type of company, plus they have the "crack and fail" reputation (fair or not). Its rare to see someone with the "Vermont Strong" license plate or "802" sticker with a Cannondale on the hitch. They were hucking big things up where I ride on "secret" trails and features since the late 90's, early 2000's while we were all still wearing lycra. That mentality has carried over, even though most of the trails are professionally built, organized, and maintained. Most of the brands of choice seem to be Transition, Rocky Mountain, and Santa Cruz. Most folks are on 150-160mm bikes because while the climbs are long, the descents are also long and fast. Most of the trails I ride are built around the easy up, rip it down philosophy (which I like BTW). No one is riding around looking for epic technical climbs, they want the epic technical descents.

This.

What is kind of funny is Cannondale is headquartered in CT (which is tecnically part of New England and VT is a typcially very loyal to NE based companies). Also C-Dale had bikes like SM600 which was very northeast oriented with a high BB and a 24" rear wheel. Actually in college in Burlington I remember a decent Cannondale presence but that was in the late '80's and a lot has changed since.

cbiker

I like easy non tech uphills and long tech downhills anything up there you can recommend?

Captain Brainstorm

I like easy non tech uphills and long tech downhills anything up there you can recommend?

So I have to qualify the "easy" part of the climbs as they are long, sometimes steep, but not technical. Not really easy to climb 1-2 miles straight up, but at least not really technical. As far as the where to go, what part of VT are you going to?

cbiker

No real plans i guess southern or central vt would be best. Just looking for some longer downhills.

Captain Brainstorm

No real plans i guess southern or central vt would be best. Just looking for some longer downhills.

I don't have familiarity with Central VT, more northern. Obviously, Kingdom is the easy answer, and I think there's a group ride going off up there this weekend? I usually ride up in the Stowe/Waterbury area where there are a ton of options. Cady Hill is the easy destination in Stowe, but outside of that there's a lot of good stuff, but you'll climb for a long time first. Perry Hill in Waterbury is also pretty good with fast technical descents, but you'll need to climb for at least 30-45min. first. Well worth it though.

Reactions: don

cbiker

Yeah i moved back from out west last year so im and i like long easy climbs to long descents. Perry hill sound the best for that. I like to ride dirt rds 1.5 hrs uphill then rip back down

Top Bottom