Car-spotting thread

Captain Brainstorm

Did you autocross or track them, and how did they compare to one another?

Never tracked or auto crossed one, I would love to somehow sneak onto one of those track events they hold for owners (almost happened last year). Handling wise, on the street, it’s a wash. Both generations handle awesome. If the car has PASM, the change between comfort and sport is noticeable. Biggest difference between new and old is the cabin and the tech in the 718 is about up to modern standards, and the change to the 2.5 is huge. The car finally has the power it should, as in you can break the backend loose easily in Sport +. The old motor has no torque, as you have to wring it out. The engine is polarizing. I don’t have a problem with it, but I’m also not a Porsche snob. The Porsche snobs think anything other than a 6 is sacrilege.

I’ve been looking at older 911s because they’re in the same price range as the used 718s. Totally different driving experience. In a 911 you have to factor in the weight transfer to get through a turn quickly. It won’t hold you back, you just need to factor it in. In the Cayman, you can just throw it into a turn, the car sticks and goes. Also, to get an older 911 with the kind of content one would expect in a premium sports car, you quickly run over budget. One of the things I’ve always hated about Porsche.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That area of PA is the VW pickup center of the world. So many MK1s there!!

Did you drive the S or the base?

It's also the area of PA that has the most cousin-sisters.

It was a base Cayman. Stripped. Sport exhaust, the sport suspension (PASM?), and a few interior upgrades. MSRP $64,000. Really flat right off idle. I'm sure the 2.5L in the S makes a big difference, but coming from my 3.0L 6, it felt very peaky with lots of lag (compared to my N55). It has really tall gearing, too, which didn't help. It did about 75mph in 2nd gear. I will say that it absolutely SCREAMED above 5500rpm or so. The sound wasn't bad at all. I was very pleasantly surprised. Not beautiful but not horrible by any means. I think it sounded much better than anything with an S55 in it. Holy shit the Eagle F1s are shit in the rain. But it was so predictable and balanced even in a slide...

I came home and immediately took out the M2 while it was fresh in my mind. I very much am happy with my car. Need to get into a 911 S to compare that.

Should I get on the wait list for the M2CS?

qclabrat

Never tracked or auto crossed one, I would love to somehow sneak onto one of those track events they hold for owners (almost happened last year). Handling wise, on the street, it’s a wash. Both generations handle awesome. If the car has PASM, the change between comfort and sport is noticeable. Biggest difference between new and old is the cabin and the tech in the 718 is about up to modern standards, and the change to the 2.5 is huge. The car finally has the power it should, as in you can break the backend loose easily in Sport +. The old motor has no torque, as you have to wring it out. The engine is polarizing. I don’t have a problem with it, but I’m also not a Porsche snob. The Porsche snobs think anything other than a 6 is sacrilege.

I’ve been looking at older 911s because they’re in the same price range as the used 718s. Totally different driving experience. In a 911 you have to factor in the weight transfer to get through a turn quickly. It won’t hold you back, you just need to factor it in. In the Cayman, you can just throw it into a turn, the car sticks and goes. Also, to get an older 911 with the kind of content one would expect in a premium sports car, you quickly run over budget. One of the things I’ve always hated about Porsche.
Which year 911 are you considering? I get the green light in 10 months

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Anyone interested in entering their car in a show, I'm running one on June 23rd with a June 30th rain date. It's our first one and all proceeds go the Somerset County VoTech high school. Show will be in Bridgewater near the library on Vogt. $10 entry comes with a nice goody bag from Bridgewater BMW. PM me if interested.
https://www.scvths.org/Page/1270

ar we allowed to have a for-sale sign in the car?

Xler8

Anyone interested in entering their car in a show, I'm running one on June 23rd with a June 30th rain date. It's our first one and all proceeds go the Somerset County VoTech high school. Show will be in Bridgewater near the library on Vogt. $10 entry comes with a nice goody bag from Bridgewater BMW. PM me if interested.
https://www.scvths.org/Page/1270

I didn’t see any requirements for the age of the vehicle but the title seems to imply something older. How enforced is the “antique” part?

Captain Brainstorm

Which year 911 are you considering? I get the green light in 10 months

I'm looking at the 991.1 generation (2012-2016). No more IMS, last generation of the naturally aspirated motor, somewhat modern interior. Prices are all over the place. Also looking at Cayman/718 S or GTS. Also looking the complete opposite direction at C63S AMG, because that car is an absolute beast.

I've been driving the same f'n car for 15 years (not that its a bad car, its actually made me very happy), so I'm not half-assing the next one.

qclabrat

I didn’t see any requirements for the age of the vehicle but the title seems to imply something older. How enforced is the “antique” part?
Any type, including tuners and new
We have about 20 trophies to award. There is space for 300 cars but for this first one we're keeping it small

qclabrat

I'm looking at the 991.1 generation (2012-2016). No more IMS, last generation of the naturally aspirated motor, somewhat modern interior. Prices are all over the place. Also looking at Cayman/718 S or GTS. Also looking the complete opposite direction at C63S AMG, because that car is an absolute beast.

I've been driving the same f'n car for 15 years (not that its a bad car, its actually made me very happy), so I'm not half-assing the next one.
Me too 2003 Honda Pilot
I'm considering a 997.2 or 997.1 turbo. Neither have the IMS right? 991 also but like you said prices are a bit chaotic. If we end up with an entry 991 will likely get one certified

qclabrat

In!

PS I've entered a few car shows recently and that is the longest entry form I've ever seen
Wasn't me, the lady I'm running the show with was using something her t-bird club uses. Thanks for the participation Rick. Anyone interested should register soon. We will be reaching out the the local car clubs next week.

rick81721

Lothar
Wasn't me, the lady I'm running the show with was using something her t-bird club uses. Thanks for the participation Rick. Anyone interested should register soon. We will be reaching out the the local car clubs next week.

OK will throw in the mail today.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
june 23 is the lewmo race, if it rains out and there is space ill come for the 30th (for your sake and the races sake i hope it doesnt get rained out, even tho id like to come)

mfennell

Also, has anyone driven the new E Golf? I saw one yesterday when I dropped my son off. Supposed to be lightyears ahead of the old one. Looks good at least.
It's not. It has about 50% more range and it's a touch quicker (still really slow) assuming by "old one" you mean '15-'17. Roundly, 125 EPA miles vs 83 and maybe 8.5 to 60. I think they're great though. Golf goodness, looks normal.

I'm keeping an eye on prices. They're yesterday's news in the range department and VW will be dumping the whole line. My leased '15 is getting inspected this afternoon. Not worth the $11,800 residual so I'm returning it. I'm wondering if I can snag a '19 SE for $15k net in a few months.

Captain Brainstorm

Me too 2003 Honda Pilot
I'm considering a 997.2 or 997.1 turbo. Neither have the IMS right? 991 also but like you said prices are a bit chaotic. If we end up with an entry 991 will likely get one certified

The turbos and GT3's from that generation had the split crank motor, so no IMS. I would also drive a base, non-S Carrera first. For me it was a very underwhelming experience.

Top Bottom