Lyme Disease Thread

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Learned that the bullseye rash doesn't need to be at the bite site.

rick81721

Lothar
I'm meeting with the the local trial person tomorrow to finish qualifying, and get the first dose
(50% chance of placebo) 2 year trial. 7 visits, 3 boosters after initial dose.

Wonder if they are running it down here? Have to check the local research facility that was running the Alzheimers drug study I entered earlier this year (but ended up not qualifying).

I wonder if getting the first Lymerix vaccine is a disqualifier? I got that one.

Patrick

Staff member
Wonder if they are running it down here? Have to check the local research facility that was running the Alzheimers drug study I entered earlier this year (but ended up not qualifying).

I wonder if getting the first Lymerix vaccine is a disqualifier? I got that one.

they asked about lymerix - so maybe.

Did you see that there is a connection between alzheimers and gingivitis ?
they just aren't sure if the gingivitis could be a cause or result....

rick81721

Lothar
Did you see that there is a connection between alzheimers and gingivitis ?
they just aren't sure if the gingivitis could be a cause or result....

Hadn't heard about it but just looked. It's not gingivitis, it's periodontal disease. Almost everyone has gingivitis to some extent. It's one of the key bacteria that cause perio - F. nucleatum, which can trigger systemic inflammation and exacerbate Alzheimers. Perio is also linked to diabetes and heart disease for the same reason.

w_b

So:

1. You don’t have Lyme.
2. Your future potential exposure to Lyme is unknown.
3. You don’t know if you got some investigational drug, or placebo, or if subject investigational drug works.

How are they supposed to draw any meaningful conclusions? Or is there something actually known in all this injecting?

Patrick

Staff member
So:

1. You don’t have Lyme.
2. Your future potential exposure to Lyme is unknown.
3. You don’t know if you got some investigational drug, or placebo, or if subject investigational drug works.

How are they supposed to draw any meaningful conclusions? Or is there something actually known in all this injecting?

@rick81721 and @jmanic you are up

Double blind study with 18,000 participating.

Participants must be subject to exposure.
They did a blood draw, and asked if I had ever been diagnosed. They question if I go outside, if I had pets that go outside, and if wildlife visits my yard. And the amount of forest where I live

They will do three or four more blood draws. And I need to report any tick bite

xcerider

Hey all , have been a member for years , but never really commented on stuff . Lyme's is serious and debilitating if left unchecked . I have been riding the pines for decades and brought home many a tick . The one that has got me is Alpha-Gal , which makes you allergic to beef , lamb and pork . Which really sucks , reactions can be mild or violent till you figure out the triggers . Headache , flushing , hives , itching (pits and crotch} ,to nausea and diarrhea . Sorry a little off subject , but just putting it out there .

rick81721

Lothar

They did a blood draw, and asked if I had ever been diagnosed. They question if I go outside, if I had pets that go outside, and if wildlife visits my yard. And the amount of forest where I live

That's a robust study. Same as other vaccine studies - they will compare incidence of Lyme disease in test vs placebo groups. Blood tests will identify exposure via antibodies to the Lyme bacteria.

Mahnken

Where can I sign up?

Mahnken

Found this guy crawling around on the dog today while we were outside.
PXL_20221123_214109553.jpg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

That's a robust study. Same as other vaccine studies - they will compare incidence of Lyme disease in test vs placebo groups. Blood tests will identify exposure via antibodies to the Lyme bacteria.
Yup @Rick8675309 beat me to it, but yeah, that’s what you got.
Basically designed just like the Covid vax (and all other vax) studies.

18k participating is to ensure precision in the estimated rates of Lyme+
More data = more precision.
Sample size would also be determined by rates of Lyme in general- something that has lower rates means you need more data points for accurate precision.
Will probably do incidence rates overall and by confirmed bites to determine if it works.

Efficacy studies precede effectiveness studies. Efficacy being ideal controlled conditions - best case scenario.
Effectiveness studies follow- real world conditions.
Given they had some exclusion criteria, this might be efficacy, can’t say for sure.

If they ask you to sleep naked in the woods, I’d probably discontinue participation, unless you’re into that sort of thing.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
Patrick, post: 1167634, member: 7568"]
[/QUOTE]

I got lymes 2xs. 2nd time I never saw the bullseye's. Best defense is know the signs of lymes and get tested if you think you have it.

JDurk

Patrick, post: 1167634, member: 7568"]

I got lymes 2xs. 2nd time I never saw the bullseye's. Best defense is know the signs of lymes and get tested if you think you have it.
[/QUOTE]
2x for me too. 1st, bullseye. 2nd no bullseye, just the same symptoms and an itchy spot I assumed was the bite location. Cycle of doxy both times had me feeling better in a few days.

rick81721

Lothar
Efficacy studies precede effectiveness studies. Efficacy being ideal controlled conditions - best case scenario.
Effectiveness studies follow- real world conditions.
Given they had some exclusion criteria, this might be efficacy, can’t say for sure.

Most clinicals like this are by definition efficacy. Effectiveness is usually determined post-approval post-launch by doing epidemiological studies across the population.

zmartene

Found this guy crawling around on the dog today while we were outside.View attachment 200893
Veterinarian checking in. These are the ticks that scare me most - the nymph stage. Every time someone tells me they don't need preventatives because they don't see ticks on their dog, these guys are what cross my mind. And that's actually a pretty big nymph. Tell me how you think you can see that in your husky's fur coat.... I'm lucky my patients have a great Lyme vaccine available. If your dog isn't vaccinated, call your vet tomorrow and ask why they didn't recommend it strongly enough. In this part of the country, it should be considered a core vaccine.

Mahnken

Veterinarian checking in. These are the ticks that scare me most - the nymph stage. Every time someone tells me they don't need preventatives because they don't see ticks on their dog, these guys are what cross my mind. And that's actually a pretty big nymph. Tell me how you think you can see that in your husky's fur coat.... I'm lucky my patients have a great Lyme vaccine available. If your dog isn't vaccinated, call your vet tomorrow and ask why they didn't recommend it strongly enough. In this part of the country, it should be considered a core vaccine.
I didn't even know they had a vaccine. I'm likely switching vets anyway because we just moved. I'll ask the new place.

Top Bottom