Jakes Branch County Park

Rode the blue trail this morning. 2 laps 8 miles. Love it there!!! Flat and fast. Packed and mostly dry. Some very little mud spots. Some sweet little twists and turns and little elevation changes through about a mile or so of the trail. Go there often. Nice little workout. Saw only 3 walkers and one other mtb'er. Great time!!!! Anyone else ride here? Jump in...

giff06

Pat and I fat bike and ride our MTB tandem there for about 7 or 8 years now. We ride the fatties starting at Jakes then ride through the woods to Double Trouble only crossing Pinewald Keswick Rd near the firehouse then ride to Lacey road, cross there and ride through the woods to Wells Mills on Rt 532. We have a blue F150 Pickup and either the fatties or the tandem, if you see us say Hi. We live in Toms River.
Ed and Pat Gifford

nice!!! I know all three areas well. Not to sure about the connections though. I have done the ride all the way through DTSP. Thats a nice ride. I had never even thought about doing that, but got lost one day a long time ago and ended up at Lacey RD near that pkway corner. I road the trail back up into DT to the bogs. Love it so much i made it part of my normal ride there. That road along the parkway is good for any decent bike and a nice fast ride. FUN!!!! The elevation variations in DT north of PInewald look like a lot of fun. Two questions. When you connect Jakes and DT do you start at the white spur in Jakes? and my other question For that section is a fat bike wise or can you do it on 26 by 2's?
THanks

giff06

nice!!! I know all three areas well. Not to sure about the connections though. I have done the ride all the way through DTSP. Thats a nice ride. I had never even thought about doing that, but got lost one day a long time ago and ended up at Lacey RD near that pkway corner. I road the trail back up into DT to the bogs. Love it so much i made it part of my normal ride there. That road along the parkway is good for any decent bike and a nice fast ride. FUN!!!! The elevation variations in DT north of PInewald look like a lot of fun. Two questions. When you connect Jakes and DT do you start at the white spur in Jakes? and my other question For that section is a fat bike wise or can you do it on 26 by 2's?
THanks
We start on blue to the Swamp Loop( I think thats white) and cross there. Somewhat paralleling Double Trouble Rd. If you see us there I would be happy to show you the route, just ask. The route out to Lacey is like you explained but we take the first road that goes south and if we are not going to Wells Mills then we go left at Lacey Rd. and ride that to the parkway and take the dirt road you refer to back. I think you could make 75% of the ride without a fat bike. There are some sandy spots especially on the south side of Lacey. We have ridden the first sections on the tandem with 26x2.3's on it @30psi.
Ed and Pat

Thanks Ed and Pat,
As you can see by my avatar. I do ride my 26ers south of lacey road. FRM is a serious workout on my bike. But i love the trip and as you can see the reward far outweighs the effort required. I can do the sand thing on my bike. I have just been contemplating a fatty because i do love our pines in this area so much. and there are so many beautiful spots that fatty would make so much more easily accessible. I dont have a lot of cash to spend. I am six foot and 220. any good fatties in the 5-600 range?

Ever been to Preacher's Hill. Due south of bamber? Pics from my many trips out there IMG_0465.JPG IMG_1388.JPG IMG_1347.JPG IMG_1375.JPG IMG_1358.JPG IMG_1370.JPG

giff06

No we haven't. We love the fat bikes for exploring. I would shop the used market if I were you. I would think there are good deals out there in your price range.Lots of trails to explore in the pines. Hope to see ya out there.
E&P

A trail runs along west side of sand mine from bamber. make a left at Wrights Rd. and take that to "Sahara Plains". That is pic of my bike with nice view. and pic to the right of it. take a short trail to north side of Preacher's Hill for the view of the FR mountains to the east. IMG_1565.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

only 2 miles from bamber parking at lake

TheGerd

Tried this place out today, certainly not a destination place but if you live in the area it’s a nice spot. Which seems to be the consensus of the previous posts, I did the blue in each direction and it’s like 8 miles. i’ve been looking for places to go since moving to Toms River, this is really close. My impression was not quite as twisty as Six Mile‘ Orange mixed with a bit of Alliare’s sandiness. It is totally absent of any tech, or climbing but that bodes well for the AARP sect like me. 😁. Bottom line it’s a a nice local place to just get outside and pedal.

Crabryder

Had to get out of the house today and tried this place out, to my surprise was much better terrain then I was expecting and looking.forward to further exploration and not to far from my new transplanted location. Anyone know who does trail maintaince here?

Top Bottom