Downed trees across trails you can ride over.

Trees across trails you can ride over are a

• Total voters

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The one in the lower photo near the entrance to Baldpate was still there yesterday. I thought it might be encouragement to ride the boards lol?
You likely know that this is a forever wet spot in the winter and spring (hence the boards, which are a lame attempt at addressing the wet area). You can see in the photo, one of the nics I opened up in the spring and I need to work on it more, however i am hopefully I can keep this area dry(er) moving forward. As far as the log, it wont be there much longer.

Reactions: SAM

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Man, the park is efficient this week
56CD653B-1507-474E-80C6-D55F7933E03E.jpeg

Went there after they were done to continue to clean up the drainage in this area

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Ok, enough already lol
This was a 6 to 8 inch tree that brought down a massive vine tangle with it. I was kind of kicking myself that I didn’t bring my trimmer with me as well but many of the vines were so entangled in each other, it probably would’ve tripped that up too. So a lot a awkward angles and a couple jumps chains and I got through it, I also had one of my rakes stashed not too far from here so I went and grabbed that and cleaned everything up. And then went back and worked on a couple rollers that the NICA team and I built but honestly was really too dry to do anything so just sessioned it for a bit, bad angle for my booty.
68DE4A5C-6D35-4982-9636-0238DD0C3F63.jpeg
0AAA44AA-D5D3-4AA8-8FC0-AFC495D249FB.jpeg
2D5E7247-987B-449E-AEBB-233A40CCF460.jpeg
878E40DF-CCFA-4B91-A039-6F1FCE717121.jpeg
5E0D6F8F-7EB4-4C14-B48B-EA96BD315069.jpeg

Last edited:

Cassinonorth

This thread popped up in my head during my ride yesterday.

There's some nuance to it for me. I voted nuisance fwiw. A place with no rocks and minimal elevation changes or tech, definitely a feature. Most places in North Jersey have so much going on, they're better off without trees down across the trail.

SAM

These three located on Grand Tour at Hartshorne aren't really fun features, at least for me. Based on the locations, I assume they are meant as speed checks. The first one is ridiculous IMO. Third one isn't much better.

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg

Ian F

These three located on Grand Tour at Hartshorne aren't really fun features, at least for me. Based on the locations, I assume they are meant as speed checks. The first one is ridiculous IMO. Third one isn't much better.

View attachment 198378
View attachment 198380
View attachment 198381
I would ride over any of those logs. For me those would be fun. But as mentioned previously, I've been riding over logs that big for decades so I've had a lot of practice at them.

This one we came across at Pennypack on Sat, on the other hand... was a bit more than I was willing to attempt. It looked to be a good 30" in diameter. Definitely larger than the 27.5" wheel shown here (I tried to get low when taking the pic to show the diameter difference).

1666016070028.png

While I'm pretty good at log-overs, my buddy Tom is better and even he failed to get over it after three attempts. I think it was because the tree was pretty well rotten before it fell and his first attempt dug his chain ring bash guard into it, rather than sliding over. This created a sizeable divot in the log that got deeper with each attempt. Tom uses a more of a low-speed "trials" method for getting over logs instead of my "speed and brute force" method of tapping the front wheel on top and pivoting over. But not being able to easily bail made this log a bit larger than I was willing to attempt with clipless pedals. I might have attempted it with flats.

Top Bottom